Solved

Low gas pressure going into boiler - How can I check the pressure coming into the gas meter?

• 8 February 2020
  • 8 replies

Had a boiler service yesterday and to cut a long story short the engineer said that that gas pressure coming into the boiler was below the minimum required. 

He said itn should be 13mb but it's 11mb from what I can gather. He advised to get a thicker gas pipe installed.

However is there any way to check if the gas pressure coming into the meter is adequate, who do I contact?

icon

Best answer by PeterR1947 11 February 2020, 12:45

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @Gurpster 

Good question this, and I can understand you wanting an answer. 

We have a few engineers knocking about who are best placed to answer here. Our MVP engineer adviser is @PeterR1947 - what do you reckon? Any checks anyone other then a GSE can do for gas input pressure?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated on 10/07/23 by Abby_OVO

All I can say is that the gas pipe feeding your boiler should be 15mm.

Depends where you live, but worth giving Cadent a call on 0800 0745 788 and asking if they can check your gas pressure for you, your gas meter has a regulator on it (sealed) but they should be able to increase the pressure assuming there is no other problem.

Peter 

Check out our guide about who is responsible for each bit of gas equipment in your home.

Cadent is the gas transporter mentioned here but this is dependent on your area. Find out who’s the gas transporter for your area and their contact details here.

​​​​​​As mentioned below, it may be worth getting a second opinion from a registered gas safe engineer.

Userlevel 5

Did the engineer check the pressure at your meter? It should be 21mbar +/- 2mbar.  The allowed pressure drop when an appliance is on is 1mbar  in the  gas pipe feeding the appliance. 13mbar  is itself way too low, its not supposed to be below 18mbar. The test port inside the appliance may be further downstream and thus have an additional loss but 7mbar inside the appliance seems excessive.

The engineer may have carried out a pressure check with gas not flowing in the pipe supplying the appliance, in which case it ought to read the same value as at the meter.

As PeterR1947 says the pipe should be quite substantial. Can you post a picture of the gas pipework feeding your boiler along with a ruler for scale?

There isn’t an easy check that customers can carry out. You could look at flame height when other appliances are turned on assuming you have other gas appliances.  Flame height is related to pressure.

;TLDR contact the engineer for more details or have a second engineer check. 

All I can say is that the gas pipe feeding your boiler should be 15mm.

Depends where you live, but worth giving Cadent a call on 0800 0745 788 and asking if they can check your gas pressure for you, your gas meter has a regulator on it (sealed) but they should be able to increase the pressure assuming there is no other problem.

Peter

Just gave cadent a call and an engineer will be with me shortly due to low pressure being treated as an emergency.

Update to follow.

Userlevel 7

We’ve just stumbled across this topic and wondered what the outcome was. Did Cadent get things sorted, @Gurpster?

All cadent did was advise me not to use the boiler and put a danger tag on the boiler then he said good bye with a smile and left us in the cold :-(

I had to organise a gas engineer myself to fix the issue. Which was to route a new gas pipe directly to the boiler due to the distance the old one was covering.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

That’s a shame @Gurpster 

If you met a similar issue in the future, it’s definitely the best strategy to post back here on the Forum.

As a community we’re gradually getting better at working out who owns which bits of the energy supply and the cheapest strategy to get a potential fault diagnosed. Having someone who just arrives on site to condemn your boiler is what we want to avoid.

Remember we’re not OVO and we don’t have to stick to any ‘correct’ strategy or ‘script’ in order to help. Sometimes we can find assistance local to you… which is why it would help if you inserted your rough location into your Forum Profile page please.  :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7

Thanks for popping back with the update, @Gurpster and sorry to hear that your gas transporter wasn’t able to get things sorted.

I’ve slightly tweaked the best answer we gave to mention seeking a second opinion from a gas-safe engineer, so hopefully this will help others who might have the same issue in future.