Solved

I've reduced my energy usage, how can I set my Direct Debit below the recommended amount?

• 17 March 2022
  • 1 reply

5 days ago i had an expert into my home to adjust my energy usage SIGNIFICANTLY, what OVO are saying i will be paying for the upcoming year is based on my previous usage, as is the normal process, which i fully understand and acccept. However, that means the direct debit amount they're saying i have to pay this year is to cover a projected amount (and potential debt) that is now definetly not going to exist. My usage this year is going to be dramatically lower from the year they're going by, surely i can set my direct debit below the recommended minimum payment!? It's my debt. But as i say, it's not going to exist now anyway. My usage is now going to be much much lower than last year, so setting my direct debit below the recommended amount doesn't concern me! Am i allowed to set it below it? p.s. i am currently in a small amount of credit on my account.

icon

Best answer by Blastoise186 17 March 2022, 19:12

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Updated on 05/05/22 by Jess_OVO

Great to hear you’ve made planet-saving and usage reducing changes to your home by installing a new boiler.

At the moment our Direct Debit calculations are based on your projected annual usage figures, meaning a change in your consumption patterns won’t be reflected straight away. We’ll build up a new picture of your usage via any meter readings you submit or your smart meter sends to us. The best place to keep an eye on these Direct Debit calculations is via the Direct Debit calculator on your online account, check out the guide below for more help.

It’s worth bearing in mind that as your monthly usage reduces you’ll only be charged for what you use, meaning you might see the credit balance on your account build up before your Direct Debit amount is reviewed. You can request a refund of any extra credit by heading over to the ‘Payments’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS)