Solved

I pay by Direct Debit- why has my 'Energy Bills Support Scheme' payment been added to my OVO account?

Show first post

118 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Katiemarzella44 as you pay by Direct Debit your £66 should be refunded to your bank. It may take a few days, though mine went in the same day the DD went out. 

I’m in the same situation, my DD came out on 25th Oct and the £66 is shown as balance adjustment and has done for a few weeks but never appeared in my bank account. Ive what’s app ovo few times to sort it , my first attempt I was told there was an issue and someone would contact me (obviously didn’t) and after 2nd contact yesterday my credit balance is now showing £66 less than it was before I called !!!!. I would suggest contacting them and going through it with them as definitely issues with the payments. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Katiemarzella44 @Garys  yes sounds like you may have to contact customer support. Out of interest, how long have you been with OVO ? 

Only about 2 months since migrated from SSE 

Same as me, not long, was with sse originally. Thanks for the help I'll try see if I can get in touch with them.

Same as me, not long, was with sse originally. Thanks for the help I'll try see if I can get in touch with them.

I used the whats app and I’m still not 100% if it’s right or not but will see when first bill arrives 

I just did an online chat with customer care department. They said it should of been done automatically but since it hasn't they would manually do it, recieved email to say my refund will be in my account in 10 working days, but hopefully sooner!

OVO keep paying money into my bank account.  As winter hasn’t quite come I am building up a large credit at the moment.  I don’t mind the money coming to me - but I have not idea what this is about and doesn’t help my budgeting for energy and adjusting my monthly payment downwards.  Seems these days you can only ring them for urgent important stuff.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Do you mean the £66 for October and November ? If that’s what you’re receiving then it’s the government EBSS paid to you. Any other amounts would need further explanation !

Hi,

I’m currently in debt with OVO, and received an email from them asking me to triple my direct debit. After speaking to them on the phone, I advised I’d have to cancel my direct debit (as I couldn’t afford to pay the set amount). I’m currently just paying off bit by bit each week and my debt is coming down nicely. 

But, because I’m not set up on a direct debit, I’m not getting the £66 - in reality, I’d prefer these energy support payments to come off my debt, but as it currently stands, I’m not getting it.

I was paying direct debit and received the first £66 back, which I just paid back straight off my bill.

But when they asked my payment to be more than I could currently manage (this is short term and I’m looking to pay the full balance off by Jan/Feb, which is 1 month prior to my contract finishing), I had to cancel my direct debit as I couldn’t see what else to do and they weren’t that helpful on the phone. 

If I’m not paying by direct debit, and just paying via online payment, does this mean I’m no longer eligible for the energy support payments? 

I really want to get this debt paid, but as it currently stands, I’m loosing out on the support payments.

I can’t set a direct debit up, to resolve this, as the payments are currently too high, but this also then means I can’t get the payment. 
Any help would be massively appreciated. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You are definitely entitled to the £66 each month regardless of your payment method. If you had been paying ‘on demand’ (ie not by direct debit) when the scheme started the £66 would just go into your account and go towards your balance.
Just an aside here: it would have been soo much simpler if OVO had done that with everyone, hey ho. 
I imagine that now you’ve changed from one payment method to another then either the system will catch up and you’ll get the £66 without further intervention, or you’ll have to get back into customer services and get them to make the change.

I would give it till midweek then phone if no £66 appears. But you are certainly going to get it !!!

Ah thanks for that Julia, 

I’ve been panicking as we’ve had major car troubles recently and we managed to get that paid, but as soon as I seen the email from OVO - I panicked.

Ive been steadily getting the debt down so that when our contract finishes in March that we’d be debt free - but in order for us to pay the balance at a reasonable rate, they wanted to tie us into a direct debit payment plan lasting 3 years - I don’t want to have a debt that long, but also just currently can’t pay their direct debit current payment.

I know once I just get past Xmas, this bill will be half and then I’ll be paying it off in one sum.

But yeah, when I spoke to them on the phone regarding the £66 she said it’s because I’m not paying my direct debit and once I register it again I’ll start getting the £66 refund (I explained a couple times that I’m not bothered about getting the money in my bank, I just want to get that debt paid), but they were adamant I’d only get it once I set up my direct debit again.

Very frustrating when I’m currently paying something off the bill every week and can see the debt going down. 
I’ll keep an eye on it until maybe Wednesday and then chase them (I’m not sure if they back date it etc but by then I think we would be entitled to the second and third support payment). 
Thanks again for you reply! 

I have noticed that not only am I receiving monthly payments into my bank account but the same amount is also being deducted from my monthly bills, surely that can't be right as it means I am getting the payment twice? Help as just can't grasp what's going on but have a gut feeling that it's like doubling up in some way?

Userlevel 5

Have a look here for an explanation:

I pay by DD and was expecting it to go into my bank account, instead they have credited my bill. Check your bill and payments area online as yours may have been credited too 

Just moved from sse and really irritated to see this happened on my account .. sse refunded on the same day. Really not jmpressed with ovo so far 🙈.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OVO generally triggers the refunds within 24-48 hours of the DD going through and it then takes up to five working days to reach your bank, depending on your bank.

SSE used to take WAY too many risks with paying customers before money was actually available, OVO prefers to wait until it’s actually there before paying out.

OVO generally triggers the refunds within 24-48 hours of the DD going through and it then takes up to five working days to reach your bank, depending on your bank.

SSE used to take WAY too many risks with paying customers before money was actually available, OVO prefers to wait until it’s actually there before paying out.

Let me preface my reply by saying I fully appreciate that you are a volunteer Blastoise, but unfortunately I have to say that the combination of your responses, and the responses of OVO staff, are doing nothing but confuse customers who are already thoroughly confused by very poor communication around the payments.

I am a former SSE customer, transfered to OVO approximately 3 months ago. My first payment came via SSE, and was with me within 1 week of my DD being paid on the 28th of the month. My payment for last month came via OVO, however took until the 21st of December to show. As of typing this reponse, I have not had any refund applied, yet I show a -£66 energy payment on my OVO account. My direct debit always goes through on the 28th, and I would fully expect has cleared with OVO within 5 days, so I should have had my refund 10-15 days ago. I am also slightly confused as the December to March payments are supposed to be £67… which my delayed payment last month was, so why is it currently showing as a -£66 within my account for this month???

The handling of this scheme has been nothing but attrocious, with confusing information being given, and people being told to contact Support when payments don’t show up within a few days yet you are virtually unable to actually get through to anyone in a reasonable time. If OVO offer these forums as a formal communication platform (which having OVO staff on here suggests that is what it is), they should at minimum be able to offer consistent information and guidance.

Very fortunately, I am not in a position where I NEED the refund I am due timeously, but there are MANY people who are reliant on it.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Memphis1985,

Sorry for the issues you’re having,

I’ll get Forum_Support to reach out to you, please keep an eye on your private messages. 

Hope this helps.