Solved

I pay by Direct Debit- why has my 'Energy Bills Support Scheme' payment been added to my OVO account?

Show first post

118 replies

Userlevel 1

Great, but did you have £66 debited from your OVO account?, because I have and am still waiting for  money to bank account, my theory is that the money debited from my account is only balanced by the money to my bank, so I don’t appear to be getting the government grant.

You are right. All they have done is given us £66 into our bank account then charged us £66 in our account as refund which is actually added onto our bill . So in reality they have given us nothing. No refund whatsoever. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You need to look for this exact line in MyOVO or on the OVO Energy app. The - sign means CREDIT was applied to your account balance. Therefore cancelling out the refunded amount.

Please click on the image above to see a larger version.

Userlevel 1

This is what it says for October so far. 

Opening balance +159.40

Charge.                      43.97 out

Direct debit.            288.00 in

Refunds.                     - 66.00

Account balance in credit 337.43 

So looking at the figures the - sign in front of the 66.00 has been added onto my bill. So they have given me £66 into my bank account but added £66 onto my bill. So overall I have got nothing 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I keep having to repeat myself. You’re looking in the wrong place.

Look at the Charges in detail section at https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-details.

If you see a line entry for Energy Bill Support Scheme in there, you’ve got the £66 credit for the month.

Userlevel 1

Thank you very much. I've got it! Knocked off £66 from the charge, put refund of £66 so they cancel each other out. Then gave me £66 in my bank account, so I'm £66 in credit. It certainly is a long way round to go about it.

A big thank you from me. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup, you got it! And no worries. :)

If you need a hand with anything else, we’ll be here!

Also… Shameless plug of the OVO Customer Support Package!

Details at https://www.ovoenergy.com/customer-support-package

Fastest sign up option at https://www.ovoenergy.com/winter-support-delivery/sign-up

I pay by DD and OVO debited my account by -£66 then paid £66 into my bank account I don’t understand why they did this! 

Userlevel 3

Hi @jennykennedy7,

Please see my response below *copied from another thread*

Sorry for any confusion caused.

I’ve just got clarity from our Team that are dealing with this, they’ve confirmed this is intentional for the credit to be paid into the OVO account and then withdrawn.

From our Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS) experts; “We credit the customer's energy account and then trigger the refund.”

If you pay by direct debit and have seen the credit go to your OVO account, this payment will be transferred into your bank account. 

The payment will be made 3-5 working days after the direct debit has cleared. This will happen automatically and you don’t need to do anything. 

All customers who pay this way will receive their refund into their bank accounts within 3-5 days of their direct debit date. For example, if your direct debit is the 15th of the month, it’ll be 3-5 days after this. 

For anyone that pays on demand, their payment will be made directly to their OVO account. 

Hope this helps. 

What about the unit rate cap? I’m on a 2 year fixed deal and all the information available says this will be adjusted (including for those on fixed deals), so that no one is paying above the capped unit rate. According to my account, I’m still paying the original fixed rate which is above the capped rate!

How is this being handled, or are we who signed up for fixed deals being ripped off by OVO and/or the government?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I pay by DD and OVO debited my account by -£66 then paid £66 into my bank account I don’t understand why they did this! 

They giveth with one hand and taketh with the other - result you get Liz truss’s £66 in your bank

check your details ! eg

Userlevel 3

Hi @juliamc , I see from your charges your unit rates are 29.31 pence and 8.19 pence for electricity and gas.

Is this the capped rate?

I’m still being charged 37.28 and 11.26 pence per unit respectively!
My latest bill is due to be generated any day now so will be interesting to see if my unit rates change and if details will be given on my bill when I get it.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @croninsfc no, I fixed last February on OVO Drive. It was more expensive than the variable at the time but looks almost cheap now ! 

Fixed rates that are much more than the government rate are being addressed by OVO first, then rates that are close to the gov rate next. You should get an email about it. I think there’s an explanation somewhere on the forum… I’ll see if I can find it - the forum questions have got a bit crazy recently!

Well if you’ve got nothing else to do today you could wade through this thread ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Both myself and Julia are on fixed rate deals well below the price caps.

Because we’re both below the price floor already, we get no additional discounts.

Mine comes out 25th of every month and I have not received any payments at all and it has not been credited to my account, I'm hoping because it was September it came out I'm getting my payment after the October pay comes out, it would be really helpful to recieve it

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The £66 will come into your account just after your DD, then will go on to your bank. My DD leaves my bank on the 15th, the £66 refund is dated 17th so will be in my bank up to 5 days after that.

In October the Govt credited my account with 66 pounds paid directly to the energy companies. My Ovo reflected this and my current in credit account increased accordingly.

Then this amount was deducted from my account as Ovo had transferred this amount into my bank account.. What what was the reason for this, and how can I pay this back into my OVO account.

If this wasn’t a mistake on OVO’s part, I imagine the same thing will occur with subsequent Govt. payments

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @van Win ,

This is correct. The EBSS money is intended to go to your bank account as the government decided (for whatever reason!) that it was better in your bank account rather than an energy account. You can pay it back in either within MyOVO, the OVO Energy app or the automated phone system on 0330 303 5063.

I queried this too , particularly as the predicted shortfall was 400 for the year despite being credit to 400. Then bring credited 400 then having that refunded . 

All very confusing . I spoke to OVO who were planning to increase DD to cover the money that they were refunding that had been paid by the govt . 

Long story short - reduced DD as their we're working on predictions not reality and we are already paying over the odds . 

Money is going into a saving account to either top up as needed or be spent on fuel for the fire . 

Userlevel 1

In my opinion the "way" they have gone about this...taking it off your current spend, then deducting the amount, and adding it to your bank account is not only a pointless exercise its extremely confusing for customers. Just put it into the bank account, no need for it to appear on the energy statement at all.

Hi @van Win ,

This is correct. The EBSS money is intended to go to your bank account as the government decided (for whatever reason!) that it was better in your bank account rather than an energy account. You can pay it back in either within MyOVO, the OVO Energy app or the automated phone system on 0330 303 5063.

Thanks for your reply.

I queried this too , particularly as the predicted shortfall was 400 for the year despite being credit to 400. Then bring credited 400 then having that refunded . 

All very confusing . I spoke to OVO who were planning to increase DD to cover the money that they were refunding that had been paid by the govt . 

Long story short - reduced DD as their we're working on predictions not reality and we are already paying over the odds . 

Money is going into a saving account to either top up as needed or be spent on fuel for the fire . 

Thank you for your reply.

In my opinion the "way" they have gone about this...taking it off your current spend, then deducting the amount, and adding it to your bank account is not only a pointless exercise its extremely confusing for customers. Just put it into the bank account, no need for it to appear on the energy statement at all.

I suspect that someone in the nanny govt, thought that we wouldn’t understand why it was credited to the energy account and changed their tiny mind.

I phoned OVO/SSE today as my direct debit came out on the 27th Oct and I hadn't recieved my £66 refund. They said it was just credited to my energy account! They have sent a request for the £66 to be refunded to my bank account and said it can take 7-10 working days!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s correct. Manually initiated refunds can take 10 working days - but are often a lot faster. Depends on your bank!

Hello,

I have been reading threads regarding the £66 payment from government and I'm even more confused so hoping someone can explain it to me as I can't get through to ovo!

I pay direct debit on 28th on each month so I've paid on 28th October, my ovo account shows a balance adjustment of £66 but I haven't received this into my bank account and the website says 3-5 days. I've also seen others say it just sits on account and not refunded. Can someone please help me? 😂 does the £66 go into my bank or am I just getting it as a deduction on my account? My account is also in credit before these payments.  Also does anyone when? 

Thanks in advance!