Solved

I pay by Direct Debit- why has my 'Energy Bills Support Scheme' payment been added to my OVO account?

Show first post

118 replies

Yes I can see it as the £66 refund. My point is, it's been taken out of my account and refunded to my bank but nowhere does it show the £66 credit being paid in in the first place. When I look at my credit and charges including the refund and add it all up, the £66 has just been deducted from my own credit. I've looked at previous month's bills and  payments/charges and nowhere is there a £66  credit gone into my account. my own credit has just been reduced by £66.

I’ve paid my monthly direct debit on 28th Sept, I’ve had my online bill yesterday and no credit/debit of £66. I’m not sure what on earth is going on and why some people have already had it and some haven’t. They have also  just upped my dd by another £40 even though I’m in credit each month and never have my heating on. Truly fed up with this whole business, surely they can make this a lot clearer and easier for the customer like the £150 council tax rebate was! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’ve paid my monthly direct debit on 28th Sept, I’ve had my online bill yesterday and no credit/debit of £66. I’m not sure what on earth is going on and why some people have already had it and some haven’t. They have also  just upped my dd by another £40 even though I’m in credit each month and never have my heating on. Truly fed up with this whole business, surely they can make this a lot clearer and easier for the customer like the £150 council tax rebate was! 

Hi

Sorry to have to say. 

The scheme starts from your October Direct Debit so your 28th September DD doesn't count.

Unfortunately you have to wait until your October DD.

Hope that helps understand it. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m sorry @Ferris , but your payment on the 28th September was out of scope and doesn’t qualify, because the scheme started on the 1st October. Your next one on the 28th October will qualify though and you’ll still get the full £400.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yes I can see it as the £66 refund. My point is, it's been taken out of my account and refunded to my bank but nowhere does it show the £66 credit being paid in in the first place. When I look at my credit and charges including the refund and add it all up, the £66 has just been deducted from my own credit. I've looked at previous month's bills and  payments/charges and nowhere is there a £66  credit gone into my account. my own credit has just been reduced by £66.

It can be confusing. 

The - £66 in the example screenshot @Blastoise186 posted is a credit. The minus sign in the electricity usage section of the bill makes it a credit. 

If it had said + £66 in this section OVO would be charging you. 

The electricity usage in that section of the bill is a positive number as you are being charged for electricity. The Energy Bill Support Scheme number is a negative number as you are getting 66 pounds back. 

If you look closely at the example all the positive numbers are debits,ie you are being charged for them

+Standing charge

+Unit rate

+VAT

+OVO Beyond

+OvO Foundation 

All the negative amounts are credits, ie you are being given this money. 

-Interest reward 

-Energy Bill Support Scheme 

See if you can find the negative £66 in the electricity section of your bill and post an image of it. 

So i have no grant like the posts above for september, my d/d/ comes out on 21st of each month.

So how come some have had a grant credit in september? If it starts in october? I haven't had the grant yet and i pay dd 21st of the month. please advise, i mean its not like energy companies to make stuff overly complicated is it, i mean look how easy it is to work out the bills not to mention when the off peak rate times start and finish…...

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @joe97 ,

I’m afraid you’ll need to wait until the 21st October before you get the first payment. Payments made in September WILL NOT qualify.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy!

As mentioned in two other threads, if you pay on the 21st of each month, you’ll need to wait until the 21st of each month before you get the credit for that month. Payments made in September will not qualify under any circumstances I’m afraid.

Hi does this mean I'm getting 66 to my account it looks so confusing 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yup, looks correct to me @Elly !

You should see the £66 in your bank account soon. :)

It all appears a bit convoluted: OVO deducts £66 from my energy bill and then sends £66 to my bank account. It would appear I now have to send £66 back to OVO to keep my account in credit. Why don’t they just deduct the £66 from my OVO account and leave it as is.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Unfortunately, the way it works is the way the government wants it to work.

I’m pretty sure OVO would leave the credit in your OVO account if they could, but the government wants the money in your bank account instead.

Ok bit confused here, am I the only who hasn't had there £66 credit on this months bill. (Sept - Oct). I am in credit anyway, predicted I will continue to be as my DD is still at £345, looking at my usage and new rate my bills during winter will average between 210 to 290. Without the £66 credit being added.

Anyone enlighten me why some have had the £66 and some haven't 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@GILLT73 The £66 goes into your account shortly after your DD is paid in, then it’s swept into your bank which will take up to 5 days to clear. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Different suppliers seem to have interpreted the guidance in different ways. Octopus apply a £66 credit to the account and if you pay by DD reduce this by £66 or put you on a payment holiday if you usually pay less than this. Personally I prefer this way but I can see why some suppliers have chosen to put the money straight (well almost straight) into the bank account.

Userlevel 7

Different suppliers seem to have interpreted the guidance in different ways. Octopus apply a £66 credit to the account and if you pay by DD reduce this by £66 or put you on a payment holiday if you usually pay less than this. Personally I prefer this way but I can see why some suppliers have chosen to put the money straight (well almost straight) into the bank account.

FWIW, I reckon the Octopus way is more transparent (and less confusing than the Ovo way) but it calls into question claims that Ovo’s way is forced on them by the government.

But its not showing on my bill at all, 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If your bill was last paid in September, it won’t show up yet.

If you’ve only just paid the DD for this month, please allow a few more days!

Hi mines now showing this it's saying 13th October for 66 is this when it goes into my bank confusing very much also I was debit bye 50 now in debit bye 37 what is going on 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You can fix that by paying £66 back into your OVO account. I’m otherwise not seeing any obvious issues here.

Userlevel 7

Hi @Elly and thanks for flagging this. 

You’re seeing that info on the OVO app. I’m an OVO customer and also have the OVO app. I’ve opened up the same section as you and mine is correctly showing the ‘Charge’ as credit moving ‘out’ of the account. That’s mystery error number 1. The second error I can see is the calculation of your current balance. 

My advice would be to have a look at your online account ‘Current billing history’ and see it if tallies up: https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-details

Could you also reopen the app on that same ‘Payments’ section and let us know if any of the info has changed? 

Hi do you mean this 

Userlevel 7

Thanks @Elly, and how does that compare with the browser version of your online account? The page you want is this one: https://account.ovoenergy.com/billing-history

Hi just to confirm it came in my bank today my direct debit only went out yesterday so it was super fast the full amount of 66