Solved

I pay by Direct Debit- why has my 'Energy Bills Support Scheme' payment been added to my OVO account?

Show first post

118 replies

I believe that’s the case - certainly if you’re in credit!

I understand now thanks for the help

Userlevel 6

Hey @jennykennedy7,

How you will be awarded the £67 depends on how you pay.

For all information on this topic please see the website page Energy Bills Support Scheme or my previous response on this thread. 

From our Energy Bills Support Scheme (EBSS) experts; “We credit the customer's energy account and then trigger the refund.”

If you pay by direct debit and have seen the credit go to your OVO account, this payment will be transferred into your bank account. 

The payment will be made 3-5 working days after the direct debit has cleared. This will happen automatically and you don’t need to do anything. 

All customers who pay this way will receive their refund into their bank accounts within 3-5 days of their direct debit date. For example, if your direct debit is the 15th of the month, it’ll be 3-5 days after this. 

For anyone that pays on demand, their payment will be made directly to their OVO account. 

*Taken from the website*

If you pay by Direct Debit

You’ll receive your discount as a refund. This means you’ll carry on paying your full Direct Debit amount. Once the Direct Debit payment has cleared, we’ll refund the monthly discount amount to your bank account shortly after. If you cancel your Direct Debit, or your payment fails, there may be a delay in applying the discount to your account.

You’ll get your discount every month, even if you don’t get monthly statements. You'll see confirmation of the discount on your next statement. 

If you pay when you get your bill

You’ll receive your monthly discount as a credit to your energy account in the first week of each month. You’ll see this on your monthly bills from October. 

We’ll add the discount to your energy account every month, even if you don’t get monthly bills. You'll see confirmation of the discount on your next bill. 

For example, if you receive your bills on the 15th of the month, we’ll add your discount in the 1st week of the month, starting in October, so you’ll see confirmation of this on your bill dated 15 October.

Please see our guides on how OVO calculate customers’ direct debits below:

If you feel the direct debit is over-estimated please submit a meter reading, we have a live billing system so your account balance will change accordingly. You can change the direct debit yourself through the Online Account.

If you are unable to do so please call our Collections Team who can put your direct debit on a 3 months direct debit review suspension. 

Hope this helps. 

Same here - £66 shows as a credit in my ovo account and then the next day it was debited. I did read somewhere that they would take your direct debit from your bank account as normal and then credit your bank account with the £66. However my direct debit was taken from my bank account account on the 3rd, the government credit was credited to my ovo account the next day (4th) and then debited later that same day and as yet it has not been credited back to my bank account.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It does take around five working days to send the money back to your bank account. Please be patient.

Same here - £66 shows as a credit in my ovo account and then the next day it was debited. I did read somewhere that they would take your direct debit from your bank account as normal and then credit your bank account with the £66. However my direct debit was taken from my bank account account on the 3rd, the government credit was credited to my ovo account the next day (4th) and then debited later that same day and as yet it has not been credited back to my bank account.

Yeah that’s exactly how mine is. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

It takes around 3-5 working days to process a BACS payment. If the refund was issued yesterday or today, you should see it back in your bank account by next Friday at the very latest.

Just to let everyone know I got £66 paid in to my bank today. Seems like a strange way to do it, but it’s all sorted now. 👍🏻

Userlevel 1
Badge

Great, but did you have £66 debited from your OVO account?, because I have and am still waiting for  money to bank account, my theory is that the money debited from my account is only balanced by the money to my bank, so I don’t appear to be getting the government grant.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That’s the whole idea. :)

The money is first credited to your OVO account and then refunded to your bank.

Userlevel 2

My ‘monthly’ bill for this month was £56.?? Which was deducted from my credit as of yesterday,  today I see that I have been credited my ‘monthly’ bill and they have taken the full £66.00 grant from the government!!  So to my mind Ovo have currently taken £10.00 they were not entitled to, can someone please explain??

thanks 

There is I believe an error, within the last 24 hours my Monthly Statement has been automatically amended and it is still wrong.

Seems that the £66 rebate and cost cap are the culprits and is messing up whatever Accounting Software they are utilising.

Yes another bad situation from OVO, I actually miss SSE !!

Well my Account Statement is now correct and I have had my £66.00 paid into my Bank Account, so for anyone else reading this or similar posts is to just be patient (unlike myself) if paying by DD.  

Though it is worth making the effort to understand how OVO calculate your bills.

@SpyderDor, thank you for the update, I have to admit you are far more gracious than me, but having put in two complaint forms, still no one has been in touch re their rude unhelpful customer service desk, it’s obviously a problem they are aware of and are happy to bury their heads in the sand from!!!!

Userlevel 2

Starting balance from last month.

Monthly Electricity usage cost is shown as income (not out going).

Direct Debit is as per usual shown as income.

Lastly the £66.00 is shown as now refunded.

Convoluted somewhat, but it is correct.…

My advice if you are unhappy is to post a 1* Negative Review on the Trust Pilot OVO page, I have previously done this and they solved my issue after phoning me .

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

If you see this example, you’ve had EBSS come through. :)

No need to complain or 1* review!

Userlevel 2

Yes mine is now correct and hopefully it will be so for the next 5 months....

I had a £66 credit on my OVO account on Saturday,  Oct 8 followed by a £66 charge/debit on Sunday October 9.

I am a tax accountant and have never seen such appalling account management as that practised by OVO!!

There is no credit to my bank account and my direct debit goes to OVO tomorrow, Sept 10.

Absolutely no need for this farcical debit and credit . 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I had a £66 credit on my OVO account on Saturday,  Oct 8 followed by a £66 charge/debit on Sunday October 9.

I am a tax accountant and have never seen such appalling account management as that practised by OVO!!

There is no credit to my bank account and my direct debit goes to OVO tomorrow, Sept 10.

Well, in that case… If you know the BACS system, you’ll know it takes up to five working days to send BACS payments out. You’ll have it back by this Friday.

Yes absolutely ! I do understand and was really glad to see other customers are being put through this turgid accounts process!
The forum is more help than OVO itself as I don’t think they understand much about the accounts process😂

The debit and credit to OVO account is pointless and using BACS to repay money owed to me is so slow. Would it be too intelligent just to net off the £66 from our direct debit for six months and we pay a reduced DD.

They also completely messed up my C/F and B/F credit balance from SSE . How can they be so incompetent? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hehehe, I am indeed an OVO customer! I just happen to be very well informed, which comes with having two years experience on this forum. :)

It comes in useful for me because I’m able to solve a lot more problems than usual on my own too!

But yeah… Most suppliers took the option of collecting the full DD and then refunding later, while a few reduced the DD and credited the account later.

Personally, I consider the first approach more transparent and better for keeping my cashflow consistent.

As for the transferred SSE balance being messed up? Blame SSE for that! The old creaky billing system SSE uses is vastly inferior to the scratch-built one that OVO uses.

Thanks!

as an old fossil it strikes me that these days too many companies are outsourcing services they should be carrying out, to customers at no cost to them.

Contact us for help? Go onto the customer forum! Let someone else solve your problem but don’t ask us. 

supermarkets: scan your own shopping at the checkout. I go to shop there. If a wanted a frigging job I would apply for one.

old and cynical.
Loathe: ‘chat bots’, ‘give us your feedback’ ‘How’s my driving’  ‘please hang on. We value your custom’ ‘ our office is now closed even though you rang during office hours’ and utility company statements. Try Thames water accounts if you want a head bang against wall experience’

customer forums seem nice ! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nah, this forum isn’t designed to replace the usual channels, more works alongside them for anything that’s not account specific. I actually happen to know that OVO is working on some massive upgrades to make phoning in much easier and far more pleasant. I’ll let you discover those upgrades when the time comes.

OVO actually spends quite a bit of money on this forum because inSided isn’t cheap. I have a rough idea of what inSided charges from other sources, but I can’t reveal those details.

As for me, I choose to help out and OVO can’t make me do it. I could literally walk away tomorrow and there’d be nothing OVO could do to make me stay. Alas, I love being here, so here I stay.

And as it just so happens… I also contribute a lot to inSided themselves and I’m basically the only non-customer who helps out on inSpired.

Ah. Useful info.

many thanks!

I agree the process is unnecessarily complicated and has added more stress to desperate people. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I agree the process is unnecessarily complicated and has added more stress to desperate people. 

Blame the government, not OVO! The government decided the money should be in your bank account rather than your energy account. OVO and all the other suppliers were only able to decide how they sent you the money.

I'm really confused about this. My DD went in on 5th and I got my £66 'refund' on 7th. I understand that OVO pay it back into our bank accounts, I get that bit (as stupid as it is!)  My issue is, the £66 is not showing as a credit or payment into my account anywhere. Looking at my account, payments and charges etc, it appears the £66 refund has come out of the credit already in my account. It doesn't add up at all. I went onto web chat yesterday but they were utterly clueless. Can anyone explain please?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Baroness ,

Are you sure about that? It’s an impossible scenario that I find unlikely.

Are you absolutely sure that you haven’t got a line entry of Energy Bill Support Scheme ANYWHERE on ANY of your billing periods, whether current or previous?

Just about everyone else who reported not seeing EBSS initially, found that it actually had been credited after I gave them this reminder. Please check again and make sure to check all billing periods within MyOVO AND the OVO Energy app.