Solved

I'm getting my electricity switched to OVO and already have gas - why is my online account profile access now limited to viewing switch details?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Not sure if this is a known ‘feature’, however during a switch into OVO, if a member has an existing fuel (in my case gas, with electricity coming onboard), I’m effectively locked into the onboarding page until my switch goes ahead.

This also stops meter readings being submitted until either: the member accesses a new or previous email request to submit a reading, or the switch is within 5 days, at which point they can submit both readings.

It also means the member is restricted from viewing their existing bills or usage - basically they can only update their contact details.

This is both on the app and website.

Also, only the app states the start date, the website doesn’t.

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 7 July 2021, 18:23

Hi @TheEpicBlob, a quick update here from me on this. 

I’ve confirmed with the billing platform developers that an online account homepage will change to a much more limited ‘onboarding’ style (joining us) display, when a new fuel is being added. This is just as you mentioned. 

However they’re working on maintaining the live profile for the fuel already on supply, whilst also providing a way for the customer to track their ‘onboarding’ second fuel, and submit their opening meter reading.

As you’ve experienced, if an opening meter reading is submitted for a fuel that’s already on supply, an error message is generated. This is because a customer can only submit an opening meter reading +/- 5 days of their supply start date. 

We’ll be ensuring the display to submit an opening meter reading is only available for the fuel that’s joining us.

One change I can confirm is that we've recently made a change to the messaging, which makes it clear that there is a fuel joining us (see attached screenshots), but we appreciate this isn't ideal. e.g

I’m sorry that experience isn’t a bit better, it’s being worked on! 

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @TheEpicBlob and thanks for posting this great question. 

Sorry for the delay here, it seems like our community members were busy having fun this weekend. But it’s Monday now so I’m here to help!

What you’ve described with your limited online account access is typical when someone is switching for the first time. There’s a topic on this here which highlights the 6 week from start date timeframe for when things should be fully accessible:

However it’s odd to hear you’ve now got limited access due to us adding your electricity supply. Let me ask that question and see if we’d like to get this raised to our Support team. I’ll be back! 

For now of course you can use the Support team to do anything you want do urgently. Our web chat team have a 60 second targeted wait time so it’s nice and easy if you need them. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks Tim - it’s certainly an odd ‘feature’.

I have experienced a further problem when trying to supply opening readings:

Now, I’ve submitted my electric opening fine, and I’m suspecting the above problem is because my account is an existing gas supply with incoming electric.

I can also submit my gas reading via the workaround I mentioned in my opening post (using the link in an email sent).

I suspect the onboarding process doesn’t gel with a existing gas supplier and incoming electric supply?

Userlevel 7

Thanks for updating us with the onboarding woes, @TheEpicBlob - we’ve raised this one to our onboarding team as like you say there seems to be some issues with the process given you already have one supply with us.

I suspect things should resolve themselves once you receive your first electricity statement around 6 weeks after this supply joins us - but do pop back and let us know. :slight_smile:

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

This sounds like it’s the case here. It’s not very often that OVO has an existing Gas-Only member bring the Electricity over later and converts to Dual-Fuel, so it’s probably not something that gets tested very often.

However, I’m gonna call this one a good catch as this is a bit of a rare bug that even I can’t trigger! XD

Userlevel 7

Hi @TheEpicBlob, a quick update here from me on this. 

I’ve confirmed with the billing platform developers that an online account homepage will change to a much more limited ‘onboarding’ style (joining us) display, when a new fuel is being added. This is just as you mentioned. 

However they’re working on maintaining the live profile for the fuel already on supply, whilst also providing a way for the customer to track their ‘onboarding’ second fuel, and submit their opening meter reading.

As you’ve experienced, if an opening meter reading is submitted for a fuel that’s already on supply, an error message is generated. This is because a customer can only submit an opening meter reading +/- 5 days of their supply start date. 

We’ll be ensuring the display to submit an opening meter reading is only available for the fuel that’s joining us.

One change I can confirm is that we've recently made a change to the messaging, which makes it clear that there is a fuel joining us (see attached screenshots), but we appreciate this isn't ideal. e.g

I’m sorry that experience isn’t a bit better, it’s being worked on! 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks @Tim_OVO@Jess_OVO and @Blastoise186 for the update - I had noticed it now specifies the fuel that’s being brought in, nice work!

Let me know if there’s anything else I can test, I’ve got the uncanny ability to find unusual bugs… I’ve currently got odd behaviour with my smart meter (press A button and screen populates every character on the LCD for 15 seconds and briefly stops responding…)

Userlevel 7

Nice one, @TheEpicBlob - and nice new ‘Bug hunter’ badge you’ve got there!

I know that the Kaluza team that are building and improving our in-house billing platform are always testing new features. A/B tests, feature flags and all that lovely jargon - it’s all happening.

Feedback about the changes, posted here, will always be passed on to the specific teams that look after that area. So keep feedback and bug reports coming!

ps I’ll mark my comment above as the ‘best answer’ so others affected can see this advice. :) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Nice one @TheEpicBlob !

Unfortunately, I’m afraid I’ve kinda mined out pretty much all possible bugs across most of OVO’s stuff right now and I’m not sure there’s much left until a new feature or similar gets released. It’s quite possible that something else might come up, but no doubt you’ll spot a few!

I’d say go for it! Let us know if you find anything and we can help get it reported. The only real rule is that security bugs need to go to infosec@ovoenergy.com rather than here.

Good luck