Solved

How can I escalate my billing complaint? I've raised the issues to the Support Team and things still aren't fixed!

• 19 November 2021
  • 7 replies

I’ve been with OVO for years. Something went wrong with the billing when I renewed my plan last year. Smart meter readings were not being reflected in the statements. When I called, they confirmed that the problem was OVO’s end - they were getting regular readings from my meter. They said they’d get it fixed.

The next day,  I also got an email about a new direct debit mandate and I had to reset my password to log in on the app. When I  logged in, I discovered my statements were gone, and it said I needed to read the meter. There was nothing about my (working) smart meter. (I’ve included a pic of my statement history which is, um, missing the statements….)

I called. The person I spoke to said it would take about 10 working days to fix. Needless to say, it wasn’t fixed and there was no communication from OVO.

I called yet again. I was told that they needed to fix my account having moved it to a different billing platform and that they would call me the next day with an update.

No one called. A week later, frustrated, I filled in the complaint form saying that the lack of communication was very disappointing. 

I’ve had no response to the complaint form - and it’s been over a week. 

Are there any suggestions? Email to hello@ovoenergy.com is just ignored. The complaint form is ignored. Calling 0330 303 5063 also has no effect as the customer service agents are being let down by the billing/tech team and won’t follow up with me.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 29 November 2021, 12:23

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7

I’m so sorry to hear of the issues you’ve experienced with the billing on your account, @OrsonC.

It’s also really disappointing to hear that we didn’t contact you as promised to explain what was behind the issues. Taking a quick look at the screenshot you’ve attached I’m wondering if the previous statements have now been reissued in one statement - The amount billed on 19th October looks like it covers more than just a standard monthly period.

If the amount billed still doesn’t seem correct this is best raised to our Support Team directly to check everything’s back on track. I appreciate you’ve had trouble reaching the team in the past - Our webchat (linked at the bottom of this page) is usually the quickest means of contact and if they’re not able to get things resolved during this chat they’re also able to get a formal complaint raised which would ensure all the issues you describe are fully investigated - You can see our full complaints procedure here.

I’m really hoping the team can get things resolved ASAP for you - obviously we’re always here to offer general advice where we can. 

Thanks for the reply.

So, after a webchat, the I was told that I’ve been moved to an old system (I knew that), and I need to call the standard number, as webchat people don’t have access to the old account system. 

It’s me having to do all the work: there isn’t an offer to get someone to call me (why not?:thinking: ), so I’m not stuck on hold forever being encouraged to find an answer on the website… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Sorry about that. OVO’s phone system does have a call-back feature and it works pretty well for the most part. It doesn’t trigger for every call, but the system automatically decides whether to offer it to a particular caller dynamically.

From what I’ve heard, it generally won’t activate the call-back feature if the queues are going through extremely quickly, such as an average wait of under 10 seconds for example. There’s not much value to be gained in that sort of scenario, since it would take longer to set up the call-back than it would to keep the call active and put you straight through. However, it is more likely to intervene if the system thinks that you’ll be on hold for a while.

You might not always get it for every time you’re on hold for a while, but it does activate at busy times. If you want to dodge long queues though, then I’d recommend avoiding calling in on a Monday morning. Tim told me that’s one of the busiest times because the Support Team getting swamped with huge volumes of calls for things that happen over the weekend.

The queues do get a bit shorter towards Monday afternoon, but if you don’t mind waiting until Tuesday mornings, then you’ll probably get through a bit faster.

Userlevel 7

So, after a webchat, the I was told that I’ve been moved to an old system (I knew that), and I need to call the standard number, as webchat people don’t have access to the old account system. 

I’m so sorry we mis-directed you to the web-chat team there, @OrsonC.

Our community volunteer, @Blastoise186 has given some great advice on the best time to give the team a call and how to use our call-back feature when calling at busier times:

Sorry about that. OVO’s phone system does have a call-back feature and it works pretty well for the most part. It doesn’t trigger for every call, but the system automatically decides whether to offer it to a particular caller dynamically.

The queues do get a bit shorter towards Monday afternoon, but if you don’t mind waiting until Tuesday mornings, then you’ll probably get through a bit faster.

I hope you’re able to speak to the Support Team to get this one figured out ASAP. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the comments. I’m waiting to hear back: logging in online shows no change to the account and it’s still not connected to the smart meter, which according to the display and LEDs is all fine.

My point about getting a callback wasn’t about the wait times. Instead it was the fact that the onus is on me to do the calling. The webchat person didn’t arrange (or offer) to get someone to call me there and then. 

Anyway, I’ll update when I hear back from OVO - hopefully to say that they’ve reconnected my smart meter and fixed my account. Given that I’ve been at this point twice before in the last month or so, I’m not holding my breath...:sob:

So - I called for the fourth time last week to try to get my account fixed.

I was promised for the 4th time that this would be escalated and that I would be contacted.

A week later, no one has contacted me. My smart meter is presumably sending readings to the ether.

I filled in the web complaint form several weeks ago. There was no reply to that.

I did webchat. They said they couldn’t help - I would need to call.

Being told to email hello@ovoenergy.com or call 0330 303 5063 for the 5th time is just going to make me reach for sharp objects. 

Userlevel 7

I’m so sorry to hear you’re still waiting on a resolution to this billing issue, @OrsonC.

It’s worth mentioning that without access to your account here, we unfortunately can’t schedule a call-back or escalate the complaint on your behalf. It’s disappointing to hear that you did not receive a call-back as expected and I really appreciate the frustration that’s been caused, however in this case I think a call to the Support Team on 0330 303 5063, making clear that you’d like a formal complaint logged and escalated, would be the best option for getting things progressed. 

If we’re not able to get a complaint resolved internally within 8 weeks from the point you first raised the issue, you’re then issued a ‘Letter of Deadlock’ which allows you to take the issue to the Energy Ombudsman for independent review - See the full process here.

I’m really hoping the Support Team are able to get this sorted for you - Do keep us updated and pop back if you need any more general advice.