Solved

How can I correct my Direct Debit amount? I made a typo when increasing online!

• 21 May 2022
  • 8 replies

I’ve mistakenly put £801 for my direct debit amount, instead of £101 and now I can’t change it back. Help please. I really don’t want £801 taken from my bank 

icon

Best answer by Sugar 23 May 2022, 13:38

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Sugar ,

I’m afraid no-one on the forum can change your Direct Debit amount back as we’re not allowed to access your account from here. However, I think I know a fix.

If memory serves, you can only change the payment amount once per day, but you might be able to change it back tomorrow. Please give that a try as if it works, it’ll solve your problem completely. You should also try both MyOVO and the OVO Energy app, just in case one of them works.

If that still doesn’t solve your problem, please contact the Support Team on Monday and they’ll be able to force your payments back down. As long as the £101 is at least equal to the minimum payment amount, they’ll be happy to make the change for you.

Thank you so much. I’ll give it a try tomorrow..x

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. This actually has also sparked a potential feature request as well, that I feel might help to avoid this kind of situation in the future. I’ll discuss it with the community moderators later. But perhaps a way to detect and block (or at least intercept) attempts to set extremely excessively high payment amounts way beyond what you need to pay might help. Like for example, setting £801 rather than £101 if you minimum payment was say, £81.

Ideally, I’d make it so that the attempt gets blocked outright and asks you to contact the Support Team to confirm you actually want to set such extremely high payment amounts. But at very least, I’d probably suggest some kind of warning that gives you a chance to double check that you really want to set that amount.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. This actually has also sparked a potential feature request as well, that I feel might help to avoid this kind of situation in the future. I’ll discuss it with the community moderators later. But perhaps a way to detect and block (or at least intercept) attempts to set extremely excessively high payment amounts way beyond what you need to pay might help. Like for example, setting £801 rather than £101 if you minimum payment was say, £81.

Ideally, I’d make it so that the attempt gets blocked outright and asks you to contact the Support Team to confirm you actually want to set such extremely high payment amounts. But at very least, I’d probably suggest some kind of warning that gives you a chance to double check that you really want to set that amount.

I think that is a good idea. 

I have inadvertently changed my DD in the past, albeit by a small amount. A confirmation dialogue box might be useful for inadvertent clicks in general. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Yeah, there’s definitely a bunch of potential solutions I can come up with. Each of them has their advantages and disadvantages, but something like what’s in this thread is probably fine.

Let me ask @Tim_OVO about this. :)

Userlevel 7

Thank you so much. I’ll give it a try tomorrow..x

What’s the verdict, @Sugar?

perhaps a way to detect and block (or at least intercept) attempts to set extremely excessively high payment amounts way beyond what you need to pay might help. Like for example, setting £801 rather than £101 if you minimum payment was say, £81.

I think that is a good idea. 

I have inadvertently changed my DD in the past, albeit by a small amount. A confirmation dialogue box might be useful for inadvertent clicks in general. 

Good feature request this. Keep your eyes peeled on the forum over the next few weeks as there might be a new forum function to allow these feature requests to be submitted and voted on… 

I have, hopefully, got it sorted. I phoned them this morning and they have adjusted the amount. Thank you for all your help.x

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Nice! Glad to hear that’s all sorted then.

If you need a hand with anything else or have any suggestions to improve things, feel free to stop by anytime. :)

I’ve actually got a bunch of feature requests that I’ve built up over the last couple of years. You can be sure the one in this thread will definitely be copied over to the proper forum module once it’s live (along with all my other ones!).