Solved

How can I apply for the Warm Home Discount 22-23?

• Carbon Cutter****
  • 7 replies

Hi all,

Do we know when the Warm Home Discount application opens this year please? And any details on the changes…..

icon

Best answer by Jess_OVO 30 May 2022, 12:57

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey @Pepsi !

Good news. The Warm Home Discount has been boosted to £150 this year for both the Core Group and Broader Group. That’s the only significant change other than the fact it can be stacked on top of all these other schemes which were announced this week. More details on those in my guide at 

As for the start date, I’d expect applications will open sometime around September this year. Keep an eye on things as there’ll probably be an announcement when it opens.

Hey @Pepsi !

Good news. The Warm Home Discount has been boosted to £150 this year for both the Core Group and Broader Group. That’s the only significant change other than the fact it can be stacked on top of all these other schemes which were announced this week. More details on those in my guide at 

As for the start date, I’d expect applications will open sometime around September this year. Keep an eye on things as there’ll probably be an announcement when it opens.

Thank you for your reply.  I will go and read your guide 🙂

Userlevel 7

Just to pop in here to clarify that there are some changes to the Warm Home Discount application process this year, @Pepsi.

We’re still awaiting exact details but wanted to give a bit of an overview of the upcoming changes in the meantime.

In the upcoming winter Broader category applicants living in England and Wales will no longer need to manually apply. You’ll be notified of your eligibility (based on your benefit and housing data) and receive the payment automatically, much like the core group. In Scotland you’ll still need to apply, and we’ll have more details on how to go about this in the coming months.

Hope this information is helpful. Watch this space for more details when we know more.

Just to pop in here to clarify that there are some changes to the Warm Home Discount application process this year, @Pepsi.

We’re still awaiting exact details but wanted to give a bit of an overview of the upcoming changes in the meantime.

In the upcoming winter Broader category applicants living in England and Wales will no longer need to manually apply. You’ll be notified of your eligibility (based on your benefit and housing data) and receive the payment automatically, much like the core group. In Scotland you’ll still need to apply, and we’ll have more details on how to go about this in the coming months.

Hope this information is helpful. Watch this space for more details when we know more.

Thank you so much, that is really informative and helpful. How will Ovo find out/know about a person’s benefit/financial situation please? And who will inform us, yourselves, or the DWP?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I can partially answer that one too.

Based on previous experience with the manual method of applying as I’m in the Broader Group, it was a case of me submitting an application to OVO and then OVO would run some checks with the DWP to look up my benefits status. If those checks verified my benefits and circumstances as being active and eligible for WHD, the application got approved within around 90 seconds with an email being sent to me shortly afterwards from OVO to confirm it’s all gone through. Otherwise, if something went wrong it’d go to one of OVO’s teams for manual review.

That’s how it’s worked from the old system anyway. I don’t know exactly how it’ll work this time, but it could potentially be similar to how it works for the Core Group. I’ll keep an eye out for updates. If I learn more, my mega guide will be updated.

I can partially answer that one too.

Based on previous experience with the manual method of applying as I’m in the Broader Group, it was a case of me submitting an application to OVO and then OVO would run some checks with the DWP to look up my benefits status. If those checks verified my benefits and circumstances as being active and eligible for WHD, the application got approved within around 90 seconds with an email being sent to me shortly afterwards from OVO to confirm it’s all gone through. Otherwise, if something went wrong it’d go to one of OVO’s teams for manual review.

That’s how it’s worked from the old system anyway. I don’t know exactly how it’ll work this time, but it could potentially be similar to how it works for the Core Group. I’ll keep an eye out for updates. If I learn more, my mega guide will be updated.

yes, it’s always been like that for me too. But now we will be in other people’s hands, my fear is they won’t do it quickly and all the money will be gone before it gets to us. I like to see to my own affairs, this will stress me out.

Userlevel 7

How will Ovo find out/know about a person’s benefit/financial situation please? And who will inform us, yourselves, or the DWP?

We’ll be informed of your eligibility based on information held by the DWP, @Pepsi . As mentioned, we’re still in the process of publishing the full details of the new way this will be advised to you so we’ll update this thread as soon as we know more.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I hear you there. It’s high on my list of stuff to research and I will be keeping an eye on it. Tim and Jess most definitely will as well!

I’m hoping that this new automated process should speed things up. It could even just be a trivial matter of an automated script sweeping through the DWP systems to identify every eligible claimant and then spit out a list of them to every energy supplier in the UK, And from there, have each supplier crunch that list to match up any customer records and for every confirmed match, automatically process a Warm Home Discount application.

That’s how I’d do it if it were me.

And of course, Jess Ninja’d me!

How will Ovo find out/know about a person’s benefit/financial situation please? And who will inform us, yourselves, or the DWP?

We’ll be informed of your eligibility based on information held by the DWP, @Pepsi . As mentioned, we’re still in the process of publishing the full details of the new way this will be advised to you so we’ll update this thread as soon as we know more.

OK Jess,  all we can do is wait and see then, thanks for your help.

I hear you there. It’s high on my list of stuff to research and I will be keeping an eye on it. Tim and Jess most definitely will as well!

I’m hoping that this new automated process should speed things up. It could even just be a trivial matter of an automated script sweeping through the DWP systems to identify every eligible claimant and then spit out a list of them to every energy supplier in the UK, And from there, have each supplier crunch that list to match up any customer records and for every confirmed match, automatically process a Warm Home Discount application.

That’s how I’d do it if it were me.

And of course, Jess Ninja’d me!

I wonder how all that will work with GDPR and getting permissions to sweep etc. , we shall see thanks again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No worries. :)

GDPR allows this sort of data processing as long as it’s done properly and is ONLY used for the purpose of setting up Warm Home Discount claims. It cannot be used for marketing, debt collection, telesales or basically any other purpose beyond what’s on the tin.

No worries. :)

GDPR allows this sort of data processing as long as it’s done properly and is ONLY used for the purpose of setting up Warm Home Discount claims. It cannot be used for marketing, debt collection, telesales or basically any other purpose beyond what’s on the tin.

Understood, thank you

I'm glad someone asked this question as this affects me too. Thanks for this info, much appreciated.

Will we be told about warm home discount in advance so we know.with it getting done automatically 

Userlevel 7

Hi @Mavis and welcome to the OVO online community,

Great question to ask about how and when you’ll find out about the Warm Home Discount payments this coming winter. As mentioned in the ‘Best Answer’ above:

We’ve just checked in Warm Home Discount team about when they’ll be in touch with successful recipients, so I’ll be back to let you know when we get more details on this.

Thanks for bearing with us.

Please let me know.