Solved

Family bereavement - how do I change the account holder's name?

• 2 August 2017
  • 1 reply

My Father passed away in February so i need to change the account into my mums name, how do i do this? I need to do this for her as she is very ill, also her bills are huge and she does not use very much electricity, why is this?
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 9 August 2017, 16:16

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5

Updated on 22/04/22 by Jess_OVO

What to do if the account holder passes away

If a friend or family member has recently passed away, you may consider seeking advice and support from the Citizens Advice, who are a friendly and well informed bunch, able to help with energy and non energy related actions. 

If the person that recently passed way had an OVO account, our customer service team are here to support you. They'll work with you to transfer ownership of the account or to settle and close it, depending on the circumstances.

When you're ready, please get in touch to let us know the date the account holder passed away. You can reach us on 0330 303 5063 (Monday to Friday 9am-5pm).

If you’re the executor of the estate, you can help us by gathering the following details before you call:

• The date the person passed away
  • Your contact details
  • Your bank details, if you plan to take over the account
  • Meter readings

If you're not the executor of the estate, you can still let us know the account holder has passed away either by phone on 0330 303 5063 (Monday to Friday 9am-5pm) or online chat. We'll then need to arrange to talk to the executor of the estate. If you can, please let us know their contact details when you get in touch.

Changes that may happen

If you’re taking over the account and you weren’t previously named on the account, you may have a new account created, with new online account login details and a new plan. All of this can be discussed with the agent you speak to. Details of our plans here