Question

Ex SSE - Electricity gone up from £139/month to £622!!! Not allowed to provide meter reading!

• 23 September 2022
  • 1 reply

What is going on. My account is still with SSE. All of a sudden without notification they are charging me £622/month for electricity when I was always paying £139 and was in credit! The started this in August. SEE website tells me that I cannot submit a meter reading while my account is being moved to OVO. Are they expecting that I pay £622/month again? I don t have this sort of money. That is like a mortgage? Who can afford this. It is outrageous.

1 reply

Userlevel 4

Hey @John Richard Miller,

Sorry for the issues you’ve had. 

I’d advise getting in touch with SSE as soon as possible to discuss this.

As it is account specific I can only speculate as to what might have happened here.

If you have a smart meter, it may have stopped communicating and so you’ve received a high estimated bill. Or, if you haven’t submitted a manual reading for a while and a recent reading you’ve submitted is higher than the previous estimates this could cause a large arrears.

Have you recently come out of a fixed contract? Energy prices have increased significantly. So if you were in a fixed rate tariff you have recently come out of, it’s possible your direct debit has been recalculated based on the new rates. 

We have a great FAQ page which might help answer any further questions you have about the switch from SSE to OVO

We’ve also got a page with FAQs dedicated to the Energy Bills Support Scheme.

And OVO’s Customer Support Package: everything you need to know

Hope this helps.