RESEARCH

Energy saving challenges: How can OVO help members save more energy?

• 16 March 2022
  • 2 replies
Energy saving challenges: How can OVO help members save more energy?
Userlevel 7

Updated on 19/04/22 by Jess_OVO

Can OVO Greenlight energy saving challenges be improved?

Members with working smart meters can benefit from seeing how much energy they can save by opting in for one of three challenges and taking some simple actions for a few days. There’s three challenges to join: standby, hot water or lighting

Please comment with your thoughts on the following:

• Do you use OVO Greenlight?
  • If you have never taken an energy saving challenge, would you be interested in one and why?
  • How many days should a challenge last?
  • What would you expect to happen if you did take a challenge?
  • What would you expect to see or learn?
  • If you already participated in one of the OVO Greenlight challenges, was it what you expected and what can be improved?

Leave a comment with your thoughts and feedback below, and help us improve this feature!

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

No-one else replied yet huh? I guess I’ll go first, as that might help.

Do you use OVO Greenlight?

Yup, I use it quite a lot actually. Not least to mine out bugs (of which I’ve found quite a few!) but also because I’m curious as to how I use energy in my flat.

If you have never taken an energy saving challenge, would you be interested in one and why?

Doesn’t apply in my case, I’ve taken them already

How many days should a challenge last?

Personally, I’d say between 7 and 14 days feels about right, but maybe also allow 30 days for the mega keen

What would you expect to happen if you did take a challenge?

Well, I’d hope to see a slight improvement in my usage! But beyond that, I’d want to see some handy tips and feedback in MyOVO and the OVO Energy app to help me reach a goal more easily.

What would you expect to see or learn?

Mostly whether I can cut down my usage more than anything else. Given how much Ubiquiti UniFi kit I have in my flat (way too much, so it’s overpowered! XD), it’s difficult for me to reduce my usage under the Always On and Standby category though...

If you already participated in one of the OVO Greenlight challenges, was it what you expected and what can be improved?

Looks pretty good to me. It would be more helpful if the other challenges had an indicator telling me that I can’t join that challenge because another one is already in progress though. I’m tempted to bug report that as well actually...

Userlevel 7
Badge

I liked the idea of Greenlight and did look at it for a few weeks.

I'll be honest, then i went back to regularly looking at the existing "Usage" page which i found easy to compare total usage 30min/day/month/year.

I also sometimes look at the Bright app so i can see 30min usage on the day rather than waiting for the next day. 

I thought i would look at the IHD but hardly ever do. Still feels weird not having the real time info on a mobile app but i appreciate why.

This is our first year with OVO and the first with a smart meter. I think we will have used less gas and electric in the 12 months because we are much more aware of usage data. I will report back at the end of the 12 months with the figures and thoughts on what i think we changed. Somewhat depends on usage between now and 26th April....