Solved

How can I tell which is the day reading and which is the night reading on my Economy 7 meter?

• 3 July 2019
  • 7 replies

Hi OVO,

I received repeated emails concerning my meter readings and I need your help here. I have a meter installed displaying both day/ night rates, by flickering one after the other constantly. They’re marked as Rate 1 and Rate 2, not specifically ‘day’ or ‘night’.

I just newly moved into this one bed flat and I'm an international student. It’s confusing even for my landlord to explain which rate refers to day/ night. But I’ve already set up a direct debit.

Here are both my readings and pics for this reading. Could you help by explaining to me how to understand the numerals?

Time for the meter readings: 3/July/2019, 9:30 am.

The day register ID and reading: 69766 (referred to as ‘rate 1’ on my meter).

The night register ID and reading: 28946 (referred to as ‘rate 2’ on my meter)

234e2dec-d5cd-4a97-b742-6d841ac8751d.jpg

d2bce93b-8f29-4807-980c-a098b85043b4.jpg

icon

Best answer by Eva_OVO 4 July 2019, 11:20

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 28/06/23 by Abby_OVO

Great question to ask about taking readings when you’ve got a dual rate or Economy 7 meter.

On a traditional meter sometimes the readings will be labelled - high and low or day and night-  which is easier to determine which reading is which. In your case the registers are labelled rate 1 and rate 2, usually rate 1 refers to your day register but not always so it’s good to check before submitting your meter readings. You might be able to work out which reading is which by checking the current reading against your reading history on the ‘Meter Readings’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS).

If you can’t work it out using these methods the best way to tell is to carry out a Load Test​. This involves taking two sets of readings during your peak hours - only one reading should change which will be your daytime register. 

Want to avoid having to take the readings manually in future? We’re now able to install smart meters in all Economy 7 set-ups which send us the readings automatically. No more confusing meter readings!

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
@kchenleeds Hi, meters are normally set with rate 1 as day and rate 2 as economy seven but sometimes they aren't!

Can you check if the little arrow pointing to the number one in your photo is flashing?

If it is, it means that that is the active rate at the time.

please can someone help?

i have had storage heaters fitted and they are great but for some reason our usage was big yesterday for a small one bedroom apartment. over 34kilowatts.

they programmed 00.00-07.00am but when i look at my meter readings from when we moved in and chatting online with an advisor he has asked me to check the readings.

my question is ; is R1 day or night?

i have asked two advisors and they tell me different

thanks

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hiya @shan1970 !

Sorry we missed you earlier. I can try to answer this with an initial answer for now, but to help improve my answer, I’d need to ask what meter you’ve got. If you’re OK with snapping some photos of your meters and post them in your next reply, this may help me to figure this out.

As far as I’m aware though, for a Secure meter in Economy 7 mode, R1 is usually the Day rate and R2 is usually the Night rate. If you compare what’s shown on the app to what’s on the meter display, this should help you to match up which is which. Likewise, ToU 1 would be Day and ToU 2 would be Night for an Aclara meter in Economy 7 mode.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7

Hi @shan1970,

Thanks for raising a really great question about how to work out which register is which in terms of an Economy 7 meter.

As far as I’m aware though, for a Secure meter in Economy 7 mode, R1 is usually the Day rate and R2 is usually the Night rate. If you compare what’s shown on the app to what’s on the meter display, this should help you to match up which is which. Likewise, ToU 1 would be Day and ToU 2 would be Night for an Aclara meter in Economy 7 mode.

Our community volunteer, @Blastoise186 gives some great advice here to check your readings against those shown in the app.

Unfortunately there’s no general rule in terms of which register is the day and which the night (how much simpler that would make things!) so if you are looking to confirm which register is which we’d recommend carry out a Load Test. Check out the best answer above for more details.

Let us know how you get on with this and if you need any more help understanding how to read your meter, we’re always happy to help! :slight_smile:

thanks for your help everyone. 

i will take photos of meter readings to see if i can work out which is which.

if you look at this snap shot, you can see how they appear to be the wrong way around from 23rd April to 30th April when we moved across to Ovo

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Ah yes I see what you mean. This can be fixed though!

If you let the Support Team know, they should be able to flip that around to what it should have been. It seems your screenshots show everything else as normal, so it’s just a case of correcting that period. This may take the team a while but they’ll be happy to try to fix that and then re-run the number crunching from there.