Solved

Do we pay a month in advance for our energy? I want to know whether I'll need to pay another Direct Debit if I apply to switch away!

• 3 June 2019
  • 7 replies

My direct debit has jumped from £127 to £182 which I can't afford. It kept going up last year and I ended up being in credit and getting a refund of £200-£300. I would rather have a lower bill each month, especially at this time of the year the usage will be lower. I'm trying to find out if I left OVO, do we pay in advance or arrears, don't want to have another bill. Thanks.
icon

Best answer by Eva_OVO 4 June 2019, 15:20

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 06/10/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

A great question to ask about the way Direct Debits work. Firstly your payments are taken in advance of the next months energy usage, however as your usage may not match what we’ve anticipated we do review the amount you pay each month in the aim that you’ll finish your current fixed plan (or 12 month anniversary of joining us on a variable plan) with a clear balance. It’s worth bearing in mind that if you’re considering a switch away, your Direct Debit usually remains active until we confirm your final readings and issue you a final bill - usually around 6 weeks after the switch date. 

Hi, the tarriff name is Simpler Energy and I pay by DD. I will have a look at the link you sent. Thanks for your help.

After receiving 3 requests to increase the direct debit I cancelled it as I did not wish OVO to be my banker and hold excess funds.

I am so fed up with being told I have to have a direct debit even after submitting meter readings  each month and paying the balance in full. Yet again this month because I took the readings and paid I week early I am told I have a balance, of course I have a balance as everyone does who uses electricity daily and pays once per month.

As I do not pay in advance for my groceries I have no intention of paying in advance for my electricty I do not know how much I will use and neither do OVO.

I have now compared suppliers and OVO do not compare favourably with any other I am changing to a more customer friendly company.

Userlevel 7

I have now compared suppliers and OVO do not compare favourably with any other I am changing to a more customer friendly company.

Sorry to hear this, @blackbart - our Direct Debit process for fixed tariffs aim to get you to £0 by your contract end date. That’s the goal, and that works for most. See what Eva here for more info on paying ‘in advance’:

If you're on a fixed rate tariff, you'll pay a month in advance for your energy. If you're on our Simpler variable rate tariff, you can choose to pay on receipt of bill. You can edit the date and amount of this payment via your online account - more info in our guide here

With Simpler Energy, you don’t need to have a Direct Debit set up at all, and you can make payments after charges like you describe. For our fixed plans, a Direct Debit is required. You might also have early contract termination fees if you switch to a new supplier, if it’s more then 6 weeks before the end of your contract. More info on this here

Any questions of feedback, leave a comment below. 

Hope this helps,
Tim

Perhaps you need to train your staff as I am on the Simpler energy plan and as Eva stated

With Simpler Energy, you don’t need to have a Direct Debit set up at all, and you can make payments after charges like you describe. 

I have had two days running 30th June and 1st July one of your staff insisting I submit a Direct debit.

I would also point out the amount outstanding 9aULKY as

I would also point out the amount outstanding (which I have now paid) is the difference between my submitted readings  on 14th June and your estimated reading on 20th June. If you insist on charging for estimated readings even when readings are submitted there will always be an underpayment.

My contract also states there are no exit fees.

Userlevel 7

Ahhh yes you’re spot on there, @blackbart - Simpler Energy plans don’t require a Direct Debit and have no leaving fee. I’m really sorry to hear that you’ve been advised otherwise!

All sorted now? If not, our web chat team are less then 60 seconds away, and you can easily link them to this thread if case there’s any doubt. Find their details are the bottom of this page.

Tim