Tutorial

Direct Debits - what do I need to know?

Direct Debits - what do I need to know?
Userlevel 5

Updated on 25/05/21 by Jess_OVO

If you’re a Pay monthly customer on a fixed plan, you’ll pay for your energy by a Direct Debit, a month in advance. This is set up when you first join and amount you pay will be calculated based on the information you give before you switch.  As the amount you use may change, we’ll regularly check that the payment amount is enough to cover your energy costs and leave you with a clear balance at the end of your plan. 

Check out our Direct Debit “check in” process here or watch the video below for more info -

You can check your current Direct Debit amount and adjust this if needed on the ‘Payments’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS) -

Exact appearance may vary

There’s also some really helpful advice here in understanding the calculation we carry out when checking your Direct Debit amount -

Exact appearance may vary

There’s more great Direct Debit info on our Direct Debit - FAQs.

How easy do you find these Direct Debit calculations?

Got it sussed or still got questions? - Comment below, we’d love to hear how we can improve our Direct Debit process! :slight_smile:

65 replies

Userlevel 6

Have we emailed or text you asking you to increase the payment, @PeteSkinner? If not and you’re just looking at the recommended Direct Debit graph then this will change daily depending on where you are in the billing cycle. 

Over the past few months I’ve been asked twice to increase my DD payment and I’ve followed the advice and increased to the suggested amount. But yet again I’m being asked to increase further. And I know that if I follow your advice it’ll happen again. 
my account is in credit and with summer coming that credit will build further. 
my question then is why your predictions keep changing. 
I’m leaving it as it is. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Good question @pizzard ! And welcome to the Forum.

The Direct Debit is set by estimating the annual spend and dividing this by eleven. This matches Ofgem’s guidelines that

• the account should be in credit to an amount roughly equal to the next Statement
  • the Energy Supplier may not permit an account to operate below this threshold because that constrains the customer from switching to another Supplier if they chose to do so

There is a page on the main OVO site which allows you to follow through the DD calculation.

why hasn't my direct debit reduced now that summer is here 

Userlevel 6

I’ve moved your post here, @barry6947, you’ll find handy info in the topic and above thread. 

Thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@barry6947 

Completely agree this may have popped up out of nowhere but as @PeterR1947 mentioned. Within the Ts & Cs it would mention when the payments would be and when the first would be taken. We are only OVO customers ourselves, but maybe an OVO member may be able to assist you.

That's all very well but I prefer the money in my bank - not OVO

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

When you signed up, OVO would have told you the Ts & Cs which presumably said what the payments would be and when the first would be taken.  Your billing will be based on usage so you won’t lose out.

OVE have taken the “first payment” but I’ve only just paid my previous supplier

Userlevel 6

I’ve moved your posts here, @peterh, @MarinaC, @pollyhallett the above thread holds a host of info regarding Direct Debits.

Great advice, @SR3!

Userlevel 6

Without being able to look into your account it’s difficult for us to say, @Derek Higgs, please reach out to our team. 

You can send us a message on FacebookTwitter and our Help Centre has online chat, or give them a call. You can reach our team on: 0330 303 5063. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday.

I hope this helps! 

Hi Ovo Team, I have exactly the same request as Peter above. I am predicted to go over my predicted usage but would like the direct debit to remain as it is, and if I do go over my direct debit about, to then pay it as a lump sum at the end of the contract. It is also likely that this amount will be balance out by reduced usage in the warmer months. Please advise.

My expected usage is £1,158 which equals £97 per month so why am I being asked to increase my direct debit to £113 and why can’t I choose any other amount than that?

Userlevel 2

I have increased my DD from 93 to 111 and now to 120 Oct now ask me to increase it to 130.My last bill I was in credit 100 now I am in debt.Surly that is not correct

Hi Ovo Team, I have exactly the same request as Peter above. I am predicted to go over my predicted usage but would like the direct debit to remain as it is, and if I do go over my direct debit about, to then pay it as a lump sum at the end of the contract. It is also likely that this amount will be balance out by reduced usage in the warmer months. Please advise.

Userlevel 3

@peterh I'd say contact OVO. If your usage is changing continuously then this may be the underlying issue with your Direct Debits. I had a similar issue where my annual gas usage was incorrect which increased my direct debits. I to, waswith EE and they had my had usage incorrectly recorded which had then been transferred over to OVO

If you don't have a smart meter then make sure you have a meter reading handy when you call. 

OVO undertook my energy supply in January following the demise of Economy Energy. No charges were made by OVO until my contract commenced in April. At that time I agreed a monthly direct debit of £85. Because no charges were made during the period of January to April my account was in deficit. In October I made a top up payment of £300 to put the account in credit. In November OVO advised that my Direct Debit should be increased to £142. They are now forcing me to increase to £131 per month even though my account is in credit. OVO predict that my annual energy cost will be £1,168 (this predicted amount reduces each month). I consider that their assumptions relating to energy consumption are incorrect and over stated and will result in over payment ant the end of my contract. I would prefer to make top up payments if the account goes in to deficit.

Userlevel 2

Thanks Eva,sorted.

Userlevel 6

That would be fine, @Derek Higgs! :)

Userlevel 2

A few days ago I increased my direct,is ok to increase it again after such a short while.

Userlevel 6

Welcome to the forum, @Shwild, I’ve popped your post here, there’s a host of handy info above that may be of some use. 

Please reach out to our team, this won’t impact your self service reward, as you mentioned there was a temporary uplift of usage in the summer. 

You can send us a message on FacebookTwitter and our Help Centre has online chat, or give them a call. You can reach our Customer Care team 9-5 Monday-Friday on 0330 303 5063. 

Thanks!  

I have been advised to increase my direct debits due to a temporary higher usage over summer which has now been discontinued. I can’t afford to increase by what they’ve advised and my account is in credit so am happy to increase it slightly but the website won’t let me put in my own amount. I don’t want to call as will lose benefits. How can I solve this? 

Userlevel 6

You’ll need to contact our team, @JackParry, regarding setting up a new Direct Debit or they’ll be able to set you up as a manual payer.

You’d need to call the team to do this, you reach our team on: 0330 303 5063. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday to Friday.

I’ve set up my account and added my meter readings, but when I go to ‘Payments’ to set up a Direct Debit it comes up with a ‘Something went Wrong’ message - any ideas?

How do I pay my bill without a DD?

Userlevel 6
Please see the above thread, @jrm, you'll find all the info you need.☺️
I would like ti increase my DD by £18 rather than OVO's recommended £30 more minimum.

Why can't I do that as it's my money their using?