Solved

Direct debit increased again

• 17 September 2022
  • 12 replies

Feeling confused, just logged in to my account and yet again DD amount suggested has gone up again. I had an email a few weeks ago telling me my DD will be going up, which is what I expected and I no queries about that. I’m confused to what to do, do I change my suggested DD which is on my account when I sign in? This amount seems to go up every few days.

icon

Best answer by Emmanuelle_OVO 22 September 2022, 16:15

View original

12 replies

My plan ended last week and Ovo have placed me on a variable plan.

The previous plan was for £150.00 per month and I am currently in credit of £220.00

Ova have advised that I change the direct debit to £445.00 monthly.

In view of the recently released statement regarding energy price cap is this new direct debit

charge still valid? I feel that a new figure of £220 is probably more relevant.

Feedback please

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

OVO is currently working on making some changes as a result of recent announcements. Hang in there for now as you’ll hear more soon!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@tahaandturab OVO appear at least for my account to be in the process of tweaking the direct debit calculator. 

My recommended direct debit on the app has dropped considerably to a value which looks exactly in the region of the figures for the government 2 year cap, although obviously we can't see how it is calculated exactly in terms of unit rates and standing charges although i suspect in line with this

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/energy-bills-support/energy-bills-support-factsheet-8-september-2022

On the website for me it simply says  "A recommended payment amount isn’t available right now." at the moment. 

So work in progress. 

Thank you for the replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @tahaandturab, yes the advice we have at the moment echo's what’s been said above:

• Please wait for further information from us until after the government announcement has been made and worked out

• For customers who’ve had a Direct Debit review sent at the new price cap prices, no payments at the new rates will be taken and we’ll be getting in touch as soon as we know what changes (if any) are likely to happen to explain your options.

• No new Direct Debit amounts will be taken. We have time to adjust Direct Debits should the advice change.

Userlevel 2

My plan ended last week and Ovo have placed me on a variable plan.

The previous plan was for £150.00 per month and I am currently in credit of £220.00

Ova have advised that I change the direct debit to £445.00 monthly.

In view of the recently released statement regarding energy price cap is this new direct debit

charge still valid? I feel that a new figure of £220 is probably more relevant.

Feedback please

My direct debit went up to £270 a month after my last deal ended and then dropped to £230 a month when I signed up to the fixed 2 year deal. It has now stabilised at £240 a month (and happy to say this is making my credit balance very healthy in these summer months)

Badge +1

I’d wait a bit longer.  Prices will be going up in October, but the OFGEM rates announced at the end of August have been supplanted by the Government’s EPG rates announced just over a week ago.  Suppliers are still working out the fine details and Direct Debits of nearly every customer will need to be recast.  Waiting a few weeks will not do any harm and will allow everything to crank through the system.

Userlevel 3

Hi @Burford22,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community.

Great to see our community members giving tip-top advice here. 

I’d wait a bit longer.  Prices will be going up in October, but the OFGEM rates announced at the end of August have been supplanted by the Government’s EPG rates announced just over a week ago.  Suppliers are still working out the fine details and Direct Debits of nearly every customer will need to be recast.  Waiting a few weeks will not do any harm and will allow everything to crank through the system.

The government recently announced the Energy Price Cap Guarantee. We’re currently working through what these announcements mean for us, and our customers. We’ll be in touch with all customers to let them know what will be happening to their energy bills.

We should be in a position to let our customers on the Simpler Variable Plan know their new prices 10 days before the price increases. With the new Faster Switching, this still gives them the opportunity to switch providers if they so wish. 

If you’ve received any Direct Debit Review letters or a Price Increase Notification letter, you should ignore it and wait for a new one to be issued. The new price will not be applied. Energy prices won’t change until 1 October 2022. 

We’re working through what this means for customers who’ve recently moved to Fixed Tariff and will be in touch.

As advised in this similar thread:

We also have this great guide about the Price Cap Increase and what OVO are doing to help:

Hope this helps. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Emmanuelle_OVO

The 10 days you mention is 10 working days, so everyone should have been told by now? 

This is from the OVO Energy Price Guarantee page. 

"We’ll give customers 14 days’ notice (10 working days) of the new Direct Debit amounts and everyone will have 11 days to change their Direct Debit plans." 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Emmanuelle_OVO

"We’ll give customers 14 days’ notice (10 working days) of the new Direct Debit amounts and everyone will have 11 days to change their Direct Debit plans." 

The prices don't necessarily have to go up on the 1st October. On previous cap rises some suppliers delayed putting rates up by a few weeks. I guess the lack of 10 working days notice means OVO will delay the rise?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

@Emmanuelle_OVO

The prices don't necessarily have to go up on the 1st October. On previous cap rises some suppliers delayed putting rates up by a few weeks. I guess the lack of 10 working days notice means OVO will delay the rise?

I asked via Twitter and got this response

"We're not able to confirm the rates yet. However, we're releasing information about the finalised rates, tomorrow, for our members." 

Userlevel 3

Hey @Burford22

Welcome to the OVO Online Community. 

The prices you’re paying for your energy may be changing in October. For all the up to date advice, see this page dedicated to the Energy Price Guarantee. We’ll keep that page updated with any changes as and when.

If you pay by Direct Debit, we’d recommend you leave this unchanged until any price changes have been made in October. That way you know you’re paying the right amount. 

If you don’t have a smart meter that sends us your readings remotely every day, we’d recommend you submit a manual meter reading this week or next via your online account.