collection agencys being used when I owe nothing

• 22 June 2022
  • 2 replies

How do I get OVO to set up my account properly so I don't get threatening letters from their collection agency when I'm in credit…this has happened four times in a row now

I have rang them four times and been assured they are dealing with it and yet the threatening letters keep coming..today's is the last straw ...the agency "Engage' are planning/threatening to visit to collect payment, both gas and elec are on credit ..in fact the elec is almost £900 in credit …

Banging my head on the wall here, blood pressure rising and temper with it...credit rating dropping. Damned furious and seem to be able to do nothing..…

2 replies

Userlevel 7

I’m so sorry to hear about this experience you’ve had, @Dick Dastardly

I don’t know the details in this case, and often there’s a reason one way or another that’s causing it, but that doesn’t make it any less frustrating for you. You’ll get a private message from the OVO_Forum_Support inbox shortly to take some details and offer some help. 

For anyone else who comes across this thread and is unsure of how things work, or needs advice about their debt, we’ve got a page on financial support here. If you’re unhappy about your experience, you’re able to raise a complaint directly (and see the complaint process) here

Userlevel 1

Bit late to the party here but I had a similar problem many years ago.

The utility company failed to record that a new gas meter had been fitted, lost the readings from the installer, ignored the readings I provided, overcharged me and denied anything was wrong. I sent them a photo of the new meter, it’s number and the installation date. Eventually got a new bill showing I was about £300 in credit, not the £500 in debit they were previously showing but they still tried chasing the alleged, false, debt.

What I found out was that if you check your figures and they definitely show your account is in credit, not debit, then you can dispute your account with your energy supplier.

This means all debt collection activity must be put on hold until the matter is resolved one way or the other.

I found it best to document everything in chronological order, including meter readings and dates, bill dates and amounts, payment amounts and dates, debt collection communication dates, names, messages, letters etc. Reconcile the meter readings taken with those on the bills and the payments you have made with the billed amounts. This will make it quite clear exactly how much your account is in credit, or debit at any point in time since the problem started.

Then as Tim says, raise a complaint, make sure that you tell them you are disputing your account but also provide OVO a copy of your chronological document and take it from there.

I know it is very frustrating and stressful but try and stay calm and polite at all times. If you are contacted by any debt collection agency or OVO to chase the debt before the complaint is resolved  very politely tell them their current actions in chasing the debt while the account is in dispute is in fact illegal.

Hope this helps a little and good luck!

Chris