Question

Bill amount

• 22 September 2022
  • 4 replies

Hi, Just a quick query.

Has anyone experienced their bill seeming high for the amount of usage?

My July 22 bill is higher than June 22 which I wouldn't question, only in June 2 people were in my house for the whole month and in July for 15 days no one was home at all and only 1 person for the rest of the time until Aug 22.  I would have thought that with no usage for just over 2 weeks and half the amount of people for the rest of the month, this would be lower!

4 replies

Userlevel 1

Did your rates change in that period? A lot of people have been on very good fixed deals which have ended this year and dropped them into the silly prices of the current energy market without warning.

Thanks for your reply.

I did at the very beginning of the month it was 8th June - June was £75 July £81 and Aug £85 so not sure it still makes sense as surly it should still be quite a lot cheaper than Aug as no one was home.

Userlevel 4

Hi @SquidLady,

Welcome to the OVO Online Community.

My first question would be; do you have a Smart Meter? If you don’t, or it only sends monthly readings, we wouldn’t know what you use week on week. The usage in between would be estimated. 

I’d first check your meter readings on the Online Account and see if anything looks out of line. Could it be we didn’t get an actual meter reading until July? Then you got a larger bill because we’d been under-estimating. 

Find out more about our billing platform in this helpful tutorial:

If you do have a smart meter it may be that it’s not in communication with us, we have a great guide which you might find useful:

Did your rates change in that period? A lot of people have been on very good fixed deals which have ended this year and dropped them into the silly prices of the current energy market without warning.

As you’ve probably heard on the news energy prices have increased significantly in the last few months. This means your usage might not have increased, but your bills may be larger due to higher prices. You can check your previous rates by downloading old statements. Select ‘My Plan’ on your online account to find out your current prices.

We have tons of resources available if you want to find out more about Why Energy Prices are Increasing. We’ve got a page with FAQs dedicated to the Energy Bills Support Scheme. And OVO’s Customer Support Package: everything you need to know

Hope this helps.

Yes I have a smart meter and readings all look like they have gone through.  But i will double check.  I will also go through each day and look at the usage and standing orders and calculate 

Thank you