I'm a Pay monthly customer and I'm moving home - what's next?


Userlevel 7
Badge +2
  • Community Moderator
  • 757 replies
Moving home anytime soon? We all know it can be a bit stressful, that's why we wanted to make it easier for you with tips and advice on OVO Answers. Did you know you can also complete your move out and move in online? Check it out and let us know what you think here.

24 replies

hi, i just filled out on your web site that im moving house, i submitted now it comes up at the bottom (can we come with you), do this mean you have cancelled my gas and electric on my house im moving to or does this mean your still going to supply my new address?
very confusing either way, should state clearly if you are cancelling or moving the supply.
please advise

thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
sb4100 wrote:

hi, i just filled out on your web site that im moving house, i submitted now it comes up at the bottom (can we come with you), do this mean you have cancelled my gas and electric on my house im moving to or does this mean your still going to supply my new address?
very confusing either way, should state clearly if you are cancelling or moving the supply.
please advise



Hi sb4100,

Thanks for sharing this question on the OVO Forum. I've moved your topic to this thread so that other users can find and comment on it too.

It sounds like you’ve got your online move out sorted already (nice work), but if not, check out the link on this topic as it has more information on what to do.

As for that message about taking you with us, this will be automated. It won’t consider whether or not a switch to OVO has already been started for the new place, so if it has, please ignore the message given.

Has this happened to anyone else when submitting the move out info online?

Tim
Userlevel 1
We're moving, but haven't sold our previous house yet, so until that happens our new house will be a 'second home'. We'd like to hook the new house up with OVO too, but OVO doesn't appear to have a simple process for an existing customer to add another property - only to substitute one with another. Or am I missing something?
Chris Juden wrote:

We're moving, but haven't sold our previous house yet, so until that happens our new house will be a 'second home'. We'd like to hook the new house up with OVO too, but OVO doesn't appear to have a simple process for an existing customer to add another property - only to substitute one with another. Or am I missing something?



Hi Chris,

Great question! All you’ll need to do is sign up your new home with us (https://switch.ovoenergy.com/), and once you’ve completed the sale of your current house just let us know and we’ll get the account closed.

Good luck with the move!

Char
Hi,

I am moving home but in the next two weeks I still have access to both houses. How do I tell OVO that I am moving but still paying for electricity and gas at the old place for the next two weeks?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Brazorf wrote:

Hi,

I am moving home but in the next two weeks I still have access to both houses. How do I tell OVO that I am moving but still paying for electricity and gas at the old place for the next two weeks?



Hey Brazorf,

I’ve moved your topic onto this thread as all the information you need can be found here. :)

It will also mean that other users can share and offer their experiences of this too!

Lucy
Userlevel 1
Char_OVO wrote:

Chris Juden wrote:

We're moving, but haven't sold our previous house yet, so until that happens our new house will be a 'second home'. We'd like to hook the new house up with OVO too, but OVO doesn't appear to have a simple process for an existing customer to add another property - only to substitute one with another. Or am I missing something?



Hi Chris,

Great question! All you’ll need to do is sign up your new home with us (https://switch.ovoenergy.com/), and once you’ve completed the sale of your current house just let us know and we’ll get the account closed.

Good luck with the move!

Char



Looking at the site then. We have to set up a new account for a new home then once the old property is sold you cancel that account. Is this correct and do you transfer any credit to the new account or do you give a refund?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Kad1310 wrote:

Looking at the site then. We have to set up a new account for a new home then once the old property is sold you cancel that account. Is this correct and do you transfer any credit to the new account or do you give a refund?



You nailed it @Kad1310 - we'll close that account separately to your new account (with the new place) and refund any credit left to your bank account.

Tim
Userlevel 1
Tim_OVO wrote:

Kad1310 wrote:

Looking at the site then. We have to set up a new account for a new home then once the old property is sold you cancel that account. Is this correct and do you transfer any credit to the new account or do you give a refund?



You nailed it @Kad1310 - we'll close that account separately to your new account (with the new place) and refund any credit left to your bank account.

Tim



Thanks for the clarification Tim. I will crack on and set up a new account.

Regards
Kad
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Holly wrote:

Hi, I spoke to someone on the phone two days ago and set up a direct debit and chose a pay monthly option for my new home. I was told I would receive a confirmation email to set up my account online and review what I signed up but I still haven't got this and it's been two days. Please could you tell me when you will send the confirmation email so I can set up an account online? I want to do this before my direct debit comes out so I can check it's all accurate and give most up to date meter readings. Thank you



Hey Holly,

The welcome letter normally takes between 5-7 working days to arrive. If you haven’t received it once this time frame has passed, please feel free to send me, @Tim_OVO or @Emma_OVOa private message and we’ll be happy to help further.

As we've already had some queries about this, I've moved your topic here as I think it might help.

Lucy
Thanks Lucy, I asked to have communication by email not in the post so will this be the same 5-7 working days? Thanks for your reply :)
Userlevel 3
Badge
Holly wrote:

Thanks Lucy, I asked to have communication by email not in the post so will this be the same 5-7 working days? Thanks for your reply :)



Hey @Holly,

We normally send all communications by email, so the 5-7 working days is still right :)

Thanks,
Max
Hello,

I've recently moved out of a flatshare and have been responsible for the OVO bill for the last year. I would like to change the name and direct debit details on my account to the new flatmate ASAP. My Moving out page doesn't work as I incorrectly filled it out previously (its been rectified all but online). Can someone please advise me on how to change the details? Should it be myself or the new flatmate who calls to inform of the changes?

Thanks in advance!
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
rosskirker wrote:

Hello,

I've recently moved out of a flatshare and have been responsible for the OVO bill for the last year. I would like to change the name and direct debit details on my account to the new flatmate ASAP. My Moving out page doesn't work as I incorrectly filled it out previously (its been rectified all but online). Can someone please advise me on how to change the details? Should it be myself or the new flatmate who calls to inform of the changes?

Thanks in advance!



Hey rosskirker,

I hope you don't mind but I’ve moved your topic onto this thread so that other users can find it more easily.

If you’re moving out of the property, we’ll ask for the following information to close your account:

-The date you moved (or are due to move) out of the property.
-A meter reading for that date, or near it.
-Your new address or forwarding details.
-Your new phone number.
-If possible, it would also help us to know:

-The name/s of who’s moving in.
-Their phone number and email address.
-The name and address of the landlord, if you don't own your old home.


If you’re just hoping to add your flatmate’s name to the account and make them financially liable, then we’ll be able to do this for you via the Forum, but your flatmate will still need to call our team to be able to move the Direct Debit into their name.

I’ve sent you a private message (PM) to kick start this conversation! :)

Lucy
Userlevel 1
I'll be moving home in just under 2 weeks. I've gone through the process on my account but when I go to get a quote for the new place it looks like it'll apply NOW rather than in 2 weeks when I move. Is this the case?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
cfcmurdoch wrote:

I'll be moving home in just under 2 weeks. I've gone through the process on my account but when I go to get a quote for the new place it looks like it'll apply NOW rather than in 2 weeks when I move. Is this the case?



Hey cfcmurdoch,

I’ve moved your topic onto this thread as I think you might find the information on here helpful.

You can start a switch for your new property as soon as you become financially liable. Switching normally takes between 4-6 weeks to complete so even if you started it now, it’s unlikely you’ll be switched over in the next 2 weeks.

Hope this helps!
Lucy
Hello,

We'll be moving out of our rented home soon and moving in with parents for a short while before buying our first home. What do we need to do to cancel our OVO supply of gas/electric. We're on a Simpler Energy Variable (all online) plan.

Thanks
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
pavkat wrote:

Hello,

We'll be moving out of our rented home soon and moving in with parents for a short while before buying our first home. What do we need to do to cancel our OVO supply of gas/electric. We're on a Simpler Energy Variable (all online) plan.

Thanks



Good question @pavkat

You can let us know you're moving out here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/moving-home. Make sure you click on the 'moving out' option on the right hand side.

Once you've filled this out, the team will ensure we bill you up to your move out date and create your final bills. We'll then let you know if there's an outstanding amount to pay or refund any leftover credit.

Hope this helps,
Emily
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
HI @cfcmurdoch

Hows the house move going? Was the info Lucy gave you useful?

Let us know if you have any other questions!

Darran
I find the website unclear. I have completed the moving-out bit (which unexpectedly goes active immediately). I understand that there will now be an estimate of my final bill. However, how do I put in my final real reading on the day I move out? Also, can I simply switch my account for the new property to Ovo in advance to give simple continuation of service? I know these are clear to energy providers, but us mere mortals only do this kinda thing every ten or so years! Thanks.
I had hoped someone from Ovo would reply. I'll try and contact them directly.
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hi @jonandhaz

As this is a community for our customers, I was hoping one of them would step in and offer some help here, however, it might be a bit tricky if they haven't been through this journey before, so hopefully I can help.

There isn't a space in the move out web journey for you to enter readings, you simply need to do this through your MyOVO account (as you would normally submit readings) on the day you move out. If you do it after that it will estimate your final bill.

We appreciate the journey could be clearer and are working on it! Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, please post them below so we can help.

Thanks

Darran
Having recently moved and closed down my the account for my previous property. I am now unable to submit meter readings because my account details refer to my old account, which reads as "we longer supply your electricity". How do I set up "MyOVO" for my new house?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Hatter wrote:

Having recently moved and closed down my the account for my previous property. I am now unable to submit meter readings because my account details refer to my old account, which reads as "we longer supply your electricity". How do I set up "MyOVO" for my new house?



You’ll just need to set up a new account with us for your new property. :)

I’ve moved your topic onto this thread as you should be able to find all the information you need above.

Lucy

Reply

    • :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)
    Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close