Solved

We've just moved in to a house you supply, how do I change the name on the OVO Energy account?

Hi,

We just moved into a property in Wembley and the last tenants had OVO Energy as the supplier. Now we have to change the names. What we should do?

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Mw2870 6 November 2017, 15:21

View original

108 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 29/08/23 by Emmanuelle_OVO

Welcome to your new home and to OVO!

First things first, if your new home is supplied by OVO, you can call our Support Team on 0330 303 5063, we’re open Monday- Friday 9am to 5pm. Or, if you’d prefer to do it all online you can sign up here. 

Once you put in your new address details the website will recognise we already supply your new home and give you a quote based on the usage figures we have for the property. 

Even if you’re planning on switching suppliers - we’ll need a temporary account created in order to cover the period before your switch. When we create your account we’ll check the date you moved in and the meter readings on this date (unless you’ve got a Smart meter!) and create you an account starting from this point. There’s a full run-down of this process on the great guide below.

Once you’re all set-up, the easiest way to keep an eye on your new account is by logging in to your online account or downloading our app (available for iOS and Android)

Good luck with the unpacking. :thumbsup:

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Hello. The title pretty much explains my situation. I moved in a flat 2 months ago and recently found out my supplier is OVO. The problem is I have not yet received any bill or email and I cannot create an account or pay my bills. Is this normal?
Userlevel 2
Hey @Tolis I've moved your question over to this topic on moving home. As it sounds like you just need to set up an account in your name from the date you moved in. We’ll need these details even if you plan to switch away. You can also enter the meter readings from your move in date and pick a plan! The easiest way to do this is online in the link above 😳
thanks for your help @Beth_OVO, I have created an account with the plan suggested. The thing is that the suggested price of the plan seems very expensive, I doubt I will reach half of that price with my electricity consumption according to the fixed rates. So my question is, what will I pay each month? Will I start with the amount suggested by the plan and then stop since I will have balance in my account in a couple of months? Thanks
Userlevel 5
Hey @Tolis - check your unit rates and standing charges on the plan you've chosen for your prices per KWh. Your Direct Debit amount will be based on these rates multiplied by average usage at the property, but can be amended if your own usage works out as much less.

Hope this helps!
Hello,
I rent an house for the first time in UK, it was Ovoenergy electricity and gas.
What i must to do? compile move in form?

Thanks,
Carlo
Userlevel 7
Badge
Hello,
I rent an house for the first time in UK, it was Ovoenergy electricity and gas.
What i must to do? compile move in form?

Thanks,
Carlo

Hi Carlo,

Have you tried this? https://www.ovoenergy.com/moving-home
I am taking over payments from a housemate who's moved out. I have advised that they are moving out online in my ovo account and provided my name and email address to be the new account holder.
What are the next steps? I'd preferably just like to keep the same account and just change the name of the account holder?

Will I need to set up a new account? and if I do need to set up a new account can I just transfer the plan across as I'm happy to stick to the same plan?

Thank you!
Gen
Userlevel 7
Will I need to set up a new account? and if I do need to set up a new account can I just transfer the plan across as I'm happy to stick to the same plan?

Yes we'll need to create a new account for you. @genupson - do this here

Nice and easy and we'll have the account created in a few days!
I have now tried ringing a number of times and been on hold for over 30 minutes each time. I can see that the account number is in my landlord's name and I need to switch over. I have a bill to the occupier with the Account No (9 digits) and ID (7 digits) but none of these will be accepted by the online system to switch the account to me.
Userlevel 7
I have now tried ringing a number of times and been on hold for over 30 minutes each time. I can see that the account number is in my landlord's name and I need to switch over. I have a bill to the occupier with the Account No (9 digits) and ID (7 digits) but none of these will be accepted by the online system to switch the account to me.

Managed to sort this move in yet, @sarah138 ?

If not, do it online here!
Hi

My partner has an account with yourselves and due to this, I am not able to resolve the issue where her name was removed from the property (which we do not know why or how) and now has apparently been re-instated but we need to now sort out the package.

As the lines are closed this weekend we are unable to discuss this with you are as my partner needs to be present to speak with you about the available packages.

We also need to go with you on another property as well, is there away this can be resolved today as it will be difficult for us to do this during the week due to other commitments we have with work etc.

Kind regards

Tim Casson-Smith
Userlevel 7
Very odd, @timcs - it sounds like we did a move out process, as if you and your partner needed the account closed down and another account opened for the new occupier. Strange.

I would recommend your partner calls when you're about as well. That way all the tariff and payment details can be set up again (if they need to) and you can be added to the account all in one go: 0330 303 5063

Tim

Hi everyone! I will be moving house soon and the agency estate has informed me that in the property OVO energy is the electric supplier. How can I find out what kind of tariff is already set in the house?

Thank you!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hey there @iam.ilaria !

Thanks for asking this question! It’s actually a really good one.

When you move into a new house, what actually happens is that you start out on a Deemed Contract/Deemed Tariff with whichever supplier is currently active from the previous occupier, such as OVO in this case. The rates are not published, but they’re more expensive than a regular tariff.

What you’ll want to do however, is sign up with OVO as soon as possible after moving in and make sure to grab a meter reading on moving-in day. If you’re able to sign up with OVO on the day you move in, this makes things much easier. I recommend having a chat with the Support Team to get this sorted.

If you’re happy to stay with OVO, you can then go ahead and pick any tariff you fancy and get that all set up.

But if you’re planning to go with another supplier instead, you’ll want to sign up and go with the Simpler Energy tariff for now to get things going, and then start a switch to any supplier of your choice. As the Standard Variable tariff, this one won’t lock you in and would make switching easier if you choose to do so.

If you need any advice, feel free to give us a shout. Good luck with the house move!

We just moved in to the apartment on 31 August. We have three adult tenants. How can I make sure three of our names are on the first bill? I believe the property agency should have passed our info to OVO, but just want to ensure all three names are there on the bill since we all need it as address proof. OVO has not contacted us and it seems there is no way to call to OVO since we don’t have the account number yet. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Welcome to the OVO Forum @Lam Wai Sim . Congrats on the new apartment too! I hope you like the place.

The easiest way to get your account set up with OVO will be to sign up via the Quote & Switch tool if memory serves. This will allow the account to be established in the name of one person so that you can get things up and running. If OVO already supplies your new apartment, then I think the account should be up and running within a day or two. You can only have the account in one persons name when initially setting things up. You can also call 0330 303 5063 if you get stuck and the Support Team can help you out. You don’t need the existing account number if you’re calling to sign up over the phone, but you’ll get the account number once you’ve activated your new account.

Please make sure to have a meter reading from your gas and electric meters handy as well, since these will serve as the Opening Readings.

Once that’s done, you can add a Secondary Contact to the account and there’s two levels. Tim wrote a guide on this last year, so I’ll link that below for you.

I know you can definitely have two named contacts on a single account, but I’m not sure about whether you can have three named contacts. I’ve never actually heard of anyone else doing this either. The best thing to do on that front would probably be to call the Support Team and see if they're happy to add all three of you to the account. I can’t promise anything, but it never hurts to ask.

I hope this helps, but feel free to stop by anytime. Enjoy the new place! :)

Thanks For your prompt and detail reply!

Userlevel 7

Welcome to your new home and to OVO, @Lam Wai Sim.

Our community volunteer, @Blastoise186 has already given some great advice in how to go about setting up your new account, just wanted to chip in and clarify a few things.

If we’re already supplying the energy there the best way to create an account online is on our Moving Home page here (our Quote and Switch tool is just for requesting a switch to OVO if we’re not already the supplier). Initially we’ll create an account in one person’s name, however you can add two additional financially liable contacts to the account as soon as you receive your Welcome email. Just give our Support Team a call when you’re all at home so you can all give your verbal consent to being named on the bills.

Hope this helps get things set-up. Once you’ve received the Welcome email we’d also highly recommend downloading the OVO app (available for Android or iOS) which really helps your manage your account - our community volunteers are always happy to help if you’re having any problems using this too! :ok_hand:

We moved here on 21st September but I haven't  been able to get onto the "moving in" page.  It is a technical problem on Ovo's part I think.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Hi @Gill P ,

I’m afraid you’ll need to phone OVO to set up your account for the time being. You can do this by calling 0330 303 5063 during the week - make sure to press the Hash (#) key when asked for an account number and choose the option for recently signing up to get through.

The trouble I haven't  got an account number.  I didn't  get that far!

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

You don’t need one to call up, as you’ll get one during the call or as soon as possible afterwards.

That’s why I said to press the Hash # key to skip that check. And the recently signed up option on the menu is valid for if you recently moved in too.

Thanks.  Will I be able to do this at the weekend? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’m afraid the office is closed at weekends. It’ll be open again from 8am Monday