Solved

Moved house into a friends empty property for short term......why am I being charged £60?

• 12 August 2018
  • 1 reply

Hi, We have moved house into a friends property for short term whilst our new house is being built. They have asked us to take over the bills for Gas and Electric whilst we are here so we have been named on the new provider.
I have had an email from OVO to say that i will be charged £60 for leaving fees but i have completed the form online in advance to say we are moving to a new address. The email also states that it's our old property that we are switching provider which isn't true? The OVO account should be closed as we have left. Please can someone help as to what is going on?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 13 August 2018, 17:26

Hey @Factualgnome,

This sounds like a tricky one so I thought I'd step in to clarify.

It sounds like two things are going on here. The first is that it doesn't seem as though your account at your old property has been closed. I'm really sorry if you'd already been in touch to arrange this. My best guess is that the new occupants have initiated a switch away from OVO, and because they haven't set up an account with us yet, it looks to our system as though it's going through on your account.

This would explain the fees of £60 (exit fees) which would be applied as though you're leaving a contract early. There's no charge for moving house, though, so we can easily correct this. I'd recommend giving the team a call on 0330 303 5063 to get it sorted out. They're available on 0330 303 5063 until 6pm tonight.

The second thing to do is set up an account at your new property. You'll need to do this before anything else (like switching it to us 😉 ) so the existing supplier knows who's moved in. If you're calling the team, they'll be able to look up who the current supplier is so you can get in touch.

Hope this helps!
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hey @Factualgnome,

This sounds like a tricky one so I thought I'd step in to clarify.

It sounds like two things are going on here. The first is that it doesn't seem as though your account at your old property has been closed. I'm really sorry if you'd already been in touch to arrange this. My best guess is that the new occupants have initiated a switch away from OVO, and because they haven't set up an account with us yet, it looks to our system as though it's going through on your account.

This would explain the fees of £60 (exit fees) which would be applied as though you're leaving a contract early. There's no charge for moving house, though, so we can easily correct this. I'd recommend giving the team a call on 0330 303 5063 to get it sorted out. They're available on 0330 303 5063 until 6pm tonight.

The second thing to do is set up an account at your new property. You'll need to do this before anything else (like switching it to us 😉 ) so the existing supplier knows who's moved in. If you're calling the team, they'll be able to look up who the current supplier is so you can get in touch.

Hope this helps!