Solved

I've moved out and the account is in debit - how is the final payment taken?

I have moved house and Ovo have received details and my account is showing that the final reading has been taken. It looks like I am in debit, and so owe Ovo money. Will this be taken as a final direct debit, or will I get another correspondence asking for money?

I'm not disputing the money owed, I just want to understand how it will be taken.

I am in temporary accommodation so haven't been able to take Ovo with me as a supplier ie the money does need to be paid.
icon

Best answer by Transparent 7 June 2018, 21:36

Hi @mona.chergui,

That's a good question!

The process for transferring meters to a new owner is laid down by Ofgem. OVO mustn't deviate from the agreed procedure.

There's no compulsion for the new owners to continue taking energy from OVO. As is laid down by the Consumer Credit Act, they have 14 days to opt out and move their business elsewhere.

Whether they remain with OVO, or they move, it is the responsibility of the Receiving Supplier to handle the exchange. As you have relinquished the supply, there is nothing you can do (or should do!) to hurry things along.

Beyond the statutory 14-days, there is another period defined by Ofgem (the Energy Regulator) during which the new meter registrations are implemented onto the National Database called ECOES. This takes just a few days whilst all parties receive an electronic Notification of the new owner Registration, together with the meter readings taken by them.

There is only a narrow window of time during which a party can raise an Objection. If the meter readings taken by the new owners match those you've given to OVO, then the process completes with OVO being given Notice to issue your Final Bill.

If the meter readings differ by more than a certain %age, then OVO can insist a Meter Reader attends the site. This protects you, their customer.

OVO can only take that last Direct Debit from you once you have actually received the Final Bill from them. It is clearly marked Final Bill.

You should leave your Direct Debit Mandate "live" at your bank until you've received the Final Bill and that last payment has been taken.

The entire process can take 5-6 weeks due to all the checks that have to be made, including mandatory anti-fraud checks on the new owners. It is quite likely that that OVO will take a further standard monthly payment from your bank in the meantime. This is normal... please don't call Customer Services to query it!

Depending on how much you are in arrears, that standard payment could even exceed the amount you currently owe to OVO. In that case, they will be crediting you back once the Final Bill is issued.

Most of this procedure happens without anyone informing you. So if hear nothing, don't panic.

Please feel free to ask for further advice here if you think something's going awry.

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @mona.chergui,

That's a good question!

The process for transferring meters to a new owner is laid down by Ofgem. OVO mustn't deviate from the agreed procedure.

There's no compulsion for the new owners to continue taking energy from OVO. As is laid down by the Consumer Credit Act, they have 14 days to opt out and move their business elsewhere.

Whether they remain with OVO, or they move, it is the responsibility of the Receiving Supplier to handle the exchange. As you have relinquished the supply, there is nothing you can do (or should do!) to hurry things along.

Beyond the statutory 14-days, there is another period defined by Ofgem (the Energy Regulator) during which the new meter registrations are implemented onto the National Database called ECOES. This takes just a few days whilst all parties receive an electronic Notification of the new owner Registration, together with the meter readings taken by them.

There is only a narrow window of time during which a party can raise an Objection. If the meter readings taken by the new owners match those you've given to OVO, then the process completes with OVO being given Notice to issue your Final Bill.

If the meter readings differ by more than a certain %age, then OVO can insist a Meter Reader attends the site. This protects you, their customer.

OVO can only take that last Direct Debit from you once you have actually received the Final Bill from them. It is clearly marked Final Bill.

You should leave your Direct Debit Mandate "live" at your bank until you've received the Final Bill and that last payment has been taken.

The entire process can take 5-6 weeks due to all the checks that have to be made, including mandatory anti-fraud checks on the new owners. It is quite likely that that OVO will take a further standard monthly payment from your bank in the meantime. This is normal... please don't call Customer Services to query it!

Depending on how much you are in arrears, that standard payment could even exceed the amount you currently owe to OVO. In that case, they will be crediting you back once the Final Bill is issued.

Most of this procedure happens without anyone informing you. So if hear nothing, don't panic.

Please feel free to ask for further advice here if you think something's going awry.
Userlevel 1
Hi Eva,
Thanks for replying.
I receive emails from Ovo no problem (none go into junk), but no emails about what I need to discuss with them...
I have left Ovo (moved abroad) and provided final readings but I seem unable to close my account. Pretty sure of I was in debit and not credit there would be a response chasing me for the cash.
So its definitely not 48 hrs, I am over 2 weeks from first email and a week since last email. No human response at all, just an automated email.
Pretty shoddy really :-(
Userlevel 3
It's strange you haven't received a reply yet, @Nandrews, but I'd recommend trying again - you'll receive an automated email back if your email has been sent to us successfully.

In the mean time, check out this topic - @Transparent's best answer should give you the information you need.

Eva
Userlevel 1
Hi Eva, thanks.
I did send the email again 2 days ago and got the automated response so I know they have it.
I have heard nothing.
Now I am glad I have left Ovo because it seems there is no customer service at all.
The only person that has replied to anything is you via the forum. I would have thought, as own the Community they could figure out who I am, if they could be bothered.
I will leave it for a few weeks and try again. It is a joke really.
Not sure what use the link re Transparent was for as there was nothing there that would help, although I didn't click on the next page as I will be searching for something that I am not sure what it is. I just want Ovo to respond to my emails - as a moderator of the Community could you just ask them!?
Thanks for your time.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Really sorry to hear this, @Nandrews. We appreciate your honest feedback, though.

The only thing I can think of that would prevent the team from replying is if you've sent an email from an address that's not registered on your OVO account. If so, it wouldn't have passed the necessary Data Protection check.
Userlevel 1
Hi Nancy,
Thank you for replying.
I have only registered one email address with Ovo, the one that I receive the "thank you for your meter readings" to. I get those.
No, either my emails are being spammed Ovo side or they just cannot be bothered.
Now 4 days since my 3rd email, three weeks in total for 3 emails.
Not improving is it?
Userlevel 5
Badge
Let us chase this up for you, @Nandrews. Send the team on Facebook or Twitter a PM with your account number, full name and DoB and we can find out where these emails are going.
Userlevel 1
Thanks Nancy.
I decided to send in more (the same) final meter readings and do the moving out info again. This seemed to trigger a final bill showing a credit, but no mention or communication as to when or how I will get it.
I never did get any response from any of the emails, but perhaps now that's not important, assuming I get the credit paid back.
Hopefully the end will be soon on this.
Regards,
Neil
(I don't use Facebook or Twitter, only email & LinkedIn, so could not contact Ovo that way anyway).
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi again, @Nandrews. The "Final Bill" is the clincher! I'm assuming that it does actually have the words Final Bill printed on it?

We may never know why there was a long delay in generating this. Occasionally a new owner/tenant moving into a house can muck things up for you by giving incorrect meter readings or switching Energy Suppliers and then cancelling again within the 14-day cooling-off period. This is frustrating, but out of OVO's hands.

All meter transfers and readings are logged by the National Database, ECOES. OVO must wait until they receive the correct Notification from ECOES before they can issue a Final Bill.

If your original DD-instruction is still "live" then OVO will credit your account automatically. If not, then I expect you'll receive a cheque in about one week's time.
Userlevel 1
Hi, it says "final statement", so same thing I hope. I have cancelled the DD because I didn't want to increase my credit, so I will need to somehow get my bank details to Ovo for them to credit me. Sending me a cheque isn't going to work as I am travelling for 6 months+ then leaving the UK. I will have to call I reckon, as emailing doesn't seem to work. What Ovo needs is a messaging system from within the logged-in account, so its secure. Interesting info re ECOES, but in this case the new tenant moved in at least 4 weeks after I left so my final bill should have been produced I would have thought? I'll call next week. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Yes, "Final Statement" is ok @Nandrews.

You can Private Message to the six Moderators from this Forum site if you want. They're the same team who handle all OVO's social media communications, so will be able to bounce your message straight to the relevant accounts person rather than you going through Customer Services.

For example, since @Nancy_OVO has been responding to you on this Thread, click on her name, which will open her Profile Page. Then click the Green Button that reads {Send Message}.

The Forum PM's are private to the recipient and can't be read by anyone else, even another Moderator. So it's a good way to send your bank details for the credit they owe you.
Userlevel 1
Great, thank you, I'll do just that.
Like most websites OVO Energy uses cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on this site. Accept and Close