I’m moving house - why can’t I take my OVO account with me to the new place?

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

If you’re an OVO customer and you’re moving home, we will need to close your OVO account down. You can do this yourself: we will just need the date you moved and the readings on that day. Submit this info online here. This account will then be closed, and a new one opened for the person who takes over responsibility for that property.

If you want to have OVO supply your new place, you need to start a new switch once you’ve got the keys and you’re responsible for that property. This will have a new online account (unless that house has the old prepayment meters, then you will need to switch to Boost Power to be part of the OVO family), which won’t be able to link up with the My OVO page from your old place. This is because each My OVO account links up with the meters of the property, instead of you as an energy user.

If you miss the My Usage section, don’t worry - this will soon populate with the new property’s usage.

20 replies

We are due to move house within a couple of weeks of our fixed price deal expiring, although we don't yet have a certain date. Should we accept the next fixed price offer now and renegotiate when we move? If we don't accept it now will we be able to negotiate another fixed price deal after a gap when we move into our new house.
Hey @nixtek

I've moved your query over to an existing topic on moving home.

You can also find more information here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/ovo-answers/topics/all-about-switching/moving-home/im-moving-home-how-can-ovo-help-me.html.

Thanks,
Emily
So am I right in thinking any tarriff isn’t portable?

My grandmother is moving home and is only a few months into a 2 year fix.

I couldn’t find a way to move her deal so signed her up again to another new Ovo deal that isn’t nearly as good 😞
That's right, @Kris

Your grandmother won't incur leaving fees if she moves out of the property mid-contract - but we can't move the contract from one property to another. If any OVO customer wants to sign their new property up, they'll need to complete the quote and switch process again here: https://switch.ovoenergy.com/

Thanks,
Emily
Emily_OVO wrote:

That's right, @Kris

Your grandmother won't incur leaving fees if she moves out of the property mid-contract - but we can't move the contract from one property to another. If any OVO customer wants to sign their new property up, they'll need to complete the quote and switch process again here: https://switch.ovoenergy.com/

Thanks,
Emily

Thanks, she’s moved out now and I’ve signed her up to Ovo at her new home, the switch is in progress.

I’ll cancel at her old home once it’s sold.
Hi - we’re movIng into our new house tomorrow but have not yet sold our current house that is supplied by Ovo. Obviously we want to keep the gas and electricity on in our old house albeit at very low levels. Can we get our direct debit reduced, and can we have two properties on one Ovo account if we decide to change the new house over to Ovo too?

Thanks

Dave
Userlevel 5
Badge
Cowlid wrote:

Hi - we’re movIng into our new house tomorrow but have not yet sold our current house that is supplied by Ovo. Obviously we want to keep the gas and electricity on in our old house albeit at very low levels. Can we get our direct debit reduced, and can we have two properties on one Ovo account if we decide to change the new house over to Ovo too?

Thanks

Dave

Hey @Cowlid,

I've moved your post onto this topic about moving homes, where you should be able to find the info you need.

Nancy
Hi, I just moved to new rent property few weeks ago as I receive bill from OvoEnergy as I would like to register account on OvoEnergy which I've register or set new account as it mention it sent to my email (gmail) but I've not receive anything. I've email you twice and not hear anything back. Please advise.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hey @spiderkzn - I've moved your post over here where you can find information about moving in and out!
I have an OVO account in my current home and wanted one when I move.
I gave my new address and my quote was unexpectedly higher than my present
home even though the size of the new property is not much larger.
I will also have a smart meter for my new property does this mean that the recommended
payments will adjust to the actual amount used?
Will I lose any benefits accrued from having been a customer of several years as I will now
be a new customer again?
I moved house a few months ago from ovo and transferred to ovo at the new house too. Similarly, despite moving from one two bed to another my monthly payment went up... i figured I'd just leave it for a few months and see if there was an actual change.

I was able to transfer my contract so not considered a new customer, and i didn't lose out on the fixed rate i had been on.

The transfer was a bit of a faff though. Despite giving them the move in date for the new house they started the process automatically, and if i hadn't caught it they would have started my account 3 weeks before i actually moved in, cutting off the edf supply for the previous owner in the process! We had to wait until a week before moving to try again.
Hey @MadelaineJennae - I've moved your query over to an existing thread on moving in/out.
I have been an OVO customer for several years and in March took out a one year fixed deal. I moved home in the summer and was told that this would be transferred to the new house when I transferred my supplier.

This all went through in August and I've just realised why my bills are much higher than expected. Instead of being able to carry my March 2018 fixed deal, I've been put on the September 2018 tarriff, which is higher. It also means I am tied to Ovo (who I'm finding increasingly disappointing) until August and not March.

Has anyone else been through this?
Userlevel 6
Badge +2
Jlmjlm wrote:

I moved home in the summer and was told that this would be transferred to the new house when I transferred my supplier..... I've been put on the September 2018 tarriff, which is higher.

I can understand this from your point of view @Jlmjlm. The reasoning behind this relates to the nature of a fixed contract and how we buy the energy. It's best to think of the contract being with the property, not the person. Property A signs up to a 12 month contract, so we buy the amount of energy property A tends to use in a year, in bulk, at the start of the contract. Getting you the best prices. If you move out of property A, it's unfair to recoup the losses we're making, if the new tenant of property A switches supplier.

If you then switch to OVO for property B, we need to buy energy in bulk for the length of the new contract, for the new property, and this relates to the current wholesale prices on offer.

One thing we do offer is a transfer of the interest reward that you were getting, as we do want to say thank you for coming back to us. To arrange for this to be added, reach out to us:

- Send over a PM via Facebook: https://en-gb.facebook.com/ovoenergy/
- A DM via Twitter: @OVOEnergy
- Email us at: hello@ovoenergy.com
Thanks for the info Tim. Sadly, this was not what I was told when I phoned to query the moving house process (back in the summer). Nor was it mentioned in an email I received when I queried whether or not I would have to pay the early release of contract fee.

I understand your explanation, but am still disappointed with the wrong info I have been given up until now. Budgets were calculated on the old rate, and luckily (but grudgingly) I can pay the extra, but I'm sure many customers couldn't.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @Jlmjlm,

You don't have to pay any exit fees if you move house. You'd only need to pay these fees if you switched supplier mid contract. If you were advised differently on the process, this is something we'd want to look into to make sure we're giving everyone the right information. If possible, please send us a PM as Tim advised above so we can investigate.

Thanks,
Nancy
We have a smart meter, do we need to provide actual readings on our moving out day or will you just use the info sent from the meter itself once we confirm our moving date?

I understand we have to close our current Ovo account and set up a new one for the new address but we are in credit so what happens to the credit when we close the account?

We currently pay by direct debit, so do we need to cancel it ourselves via the bank or will you do it automatically when we switch?

Our new address has a different supplier but we want to stay with Ovo - do we pay them until Ovo takes over our supply or is this sorted our between the two suppliers during the switching process?

Thanks!

J
Hey @Jillyc - I've moved your query over to this topic!

If you have a smart meter installed - you don't need to worry about giving us a meter reading on your move out date. The important thing is to let us know you're moving out here: https://www.ovoenergy.com/moving-home.

We'll then close your account down on your move out date, cancel the Direct Debit arrangement and issue a refund of any leftover credit back to your bank account 7 working days later.

In regards to the new property - check out the 'best answer' at the top for more information.
I am currently on an OVO dual fuel contract with £30 exit fees. I understand that if I move home during the contract period that I have to cancel my contract at my old house and reapply to start a new contract at my new home. My questions are, will I be charged the 2 x £30 exit fee and secondly will I be able to continue with the same tariff at my new house or do I have to go onto what ever deal is available at that time?

I'd greatly appreciate some clarification on these points.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Hi @Terry Ward - I've moved your post onto this thread. You should find the answers to your questions here!

Thanks

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings