Solved

Why is it unsafe to have a flexi pipe for an inlet and outlet to my gas meter?

• 25 October 2020
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 4
  • Carbon Catcher*
  • 126 replies

I read a topic recently where a customer had his gas meter connected up with flexi pipes on both sides of the gas meter as shown in a photo borrowed from that particular topic (below):

Apparently this is an illegal installation and I can see why as this setup would allow (slight) movement of the gas meter possibly leading to a gas leak ?

I am wondering why both pipes are not of fixed construction and get rid of flexi pipes altogether ?

Anyone know why ?

Just curious !

icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 26 October 2020, 17:24

Good post, @MikeE 

Here’s the topic you mentioned, with @Roger J’s gas set up. 

The advice on flexi pipes from this topic guide is as follows:

Double flexi/anaconda pipes

What are they?

Normally, gas meters have a flexi inlet pipe and a solid outlet pipe - see the image below:

On some supplies, the solid outlet will be replaced by a flexi outlet, meaning there is 'double flexi' pipework. Double flexi should only be present on semi-concealed meter set-ups where there are space restrictions (they are unsafe on wall-mounted set-ups). 

If both pipes were rigid then they’d need to be prised apart whenever the meter needed replacing.

^ this is why both Pipes can’t be flexi. 

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

If both pipes were rigid then they’d need to be prised apart whenever the meter needed replacing.

It would also be more likely that meters would require supporting on a sliver of broken wood and an old rusty spanner…

… oh - it looks from the photo like you still have to do that with flexi-pipe too! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Userlevel 4

Mmm... thinking about it I see what you mean !

Userlevel 7

Good post, @MikeE 

Here’s the topic you mentioned, with @Roger J’s gas set up. 

The advice on flexi pipes from this topic guide is as follows:

Double flexi/anaconda pipes

What are they?

Normally, gas meters have a flexi inlet pipe and a solid outlet pipe - see the image below:

On some supplies, the solid outlet will be replaced by a flexi outlet, meaning there is 'double flexi' pipework. Double flexi should only be present on semi-concealed meter set-ups where there are space restrictions (they are unsafe on wall-mounted set-ups). 

^ this is why both Pipes can’t be flexi. 

Userlevel 7

@MikeE are you happy if I reassign the best answer to my (no offense @Transparent :wink: ) more detailed reply? 

Userlevel 4

@MikeE are you happy if I reassign the best answer to my (no offense @Transparent :wink: ) more detailed reply? 

Yes 👍