Tutorial

Thinking about removing your gas supply? Here's some advice! Tutorial

• 14 March 2021
  • 15 replies
Thinking about removing your gas supply? Here's some advice! Tutorial
Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Removing a gas meter and gas supply - your guide

Times change and sometimes your needs do too. While you might have relied heavily on gas back in the day, perhaps you don’t use it anymore and you’ve decided to go all-electric instead. But what next? :thinking:

Well, the first thing we’d strongly recommend, is please think this through very carefully, before making any solid decisions. While changing your mind and rolling back is easy if you’ve not yet made any changes, if you do commit and reach the point of no-return, there’s no going back easily. But to help you out, here’s some top tips.

Why might I want to remove my gas supply?

Gas has often been very popular for both heating and cooking, not least because it’s instant and has a low unit charge compared to electricity. However, times are changing and while new technology is making electric heating and cooking a bit cheaper and more convenient, gas doesn’t really change much.

It might also be that you decided to switch from a gas oven to a fan oven, and you’ve gone from a gas hob to induction, which would significantly shift your load. Perhaps you’ve even gone for underfloor heating? If you’ve gone all electric and no longer use any gas at all, then in some cases it’s not worth keeping the gas supply connected.

Can I leave the gas supply connected but just not use any instead?

Yup. This is an option and you will of course not be charged for any gas you don’t use. After all, if the meter dials ain’t spinnin, your bills aren’t movin! However, you will still have to pay the standing charges and maintain an account with a supplier, since you still have the ability to use gas at anytime. It does have the advantage that you can go back to gas later if you wish.

I’ve already removed all my gas appliances and my heating no longer uses gas. Since I don’t ever plan to use gas again, is it worth removing my gas supply?

That’s probably a good idea. While removing the meter and getting the supply disconnected may be expensive initially, it will also mean that your gas account can be closed. Once you pay off the final statement for the removed supply, your gas bills will cease completely. Your supplier would also decommission the MPRN from Xoserve, so that other suppliers will know you no longer have a gas meter and therefore, the related standing charges will also come to an end.

What would the disconnection cost?

The exact charges may vary depending on your supplier and any fees from your Gas Transporter. However, OVO currently charges £106 as per the jobs list.

The job includes disconnecting and removing the meter, capping off the supply, safe and environmentally friendly disposal and admin tasks. The job does not cover removing internal pipework or taking away any old appliances however. If you’d like this done as well, feel free to ask a friendly local neighbourhood Gas Safe Registered Engineer to stop by.

Will my electricity bill go up?

Possibly. It depends on whether you’re already using electricity instead of gas anyway. As it also depends on your circumstances, it’s tricky to give a general answer.

If I changed my mind later, can I get the supply restored?

Yep. This is usually possible. If you’ve not requested disconnection yet, you can simply leave things be. If however, you’ve already had the meter removed and the supply disconnected, you will need to pay for a reconnection and this can be a long process. I’d recommend asking for advice here on the forum before going ahead. We’ll always try to help out, free of charge.

You might also need to get any pipework re-installed and have appliances reconnected. This is all best done by a Gas Safe Registered Engineer.

Ok, so I’ve made up my mind and I want to go ahead. Who do I contact?

Your supplier is generally the first port of call. If you’re with OVO, you can reach the Support Team here. You’ll want to let them know that you’d like to disconnect a gas supply and remove the meter. 

Do I still need to pay my gas bills?

Technically… Yes. But only to pay off the final balances if needed. No further charges will be applied to the account once the disconnection is completed, beyond the usual final bill/statement. Once this is paid off, the gas account will close and no further payments will be due. You will still be liable for any debit balances or outstanding debts however - paying those off will clear them out as well.

Can I just do this myself instead of asking my supplier/DNO?

No, sorry but this isn’t possible. For various legal and safety reasons, this isn’t something you can do as a DIY job. Plus, if your supplier didn’t know that you’ve removed the meter, they’d still be charging you for a phantom supply. You’d also risk being flagged up for tampering, which is not worth the hassle.

I’m still unsure, can I get some advice?

Sure! This forum is ideal and we’re open to everyone, OVO member or otherwise. We don’t charge anything for the advice that we offer here. 

Why has my gas transporter contacted me after my meter removal?

Whilst you don’t need to notify your gas transporter in advance they may get in touch with you in the 6-12 months following your meter removal to check you no longer require a supply. This removes your listing from the national gas database.

15 replies

Hi, is there any difference in cost  between removing a smart gas meter or an old (1960) gas meter ?  I’m planning to remove my gas meter in the next few years, but would like a smart meter (electric) fitted sooner.  I imagine smart meter fitters do electric and gas both at the same time.

Thank you

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Howdy @TeeJones !

That’s a good one actually. Could you show us some photos of that gas meter by any chance? I’m just curious more than anything else, since we don’t really see meters that old very often!

From my understanding the cost to remove a gas meter and permanently disconnect the gas supply is the same regardless of whether it’s a Smart Meter or not and also regardless of how old the meter is. You can check out OVO’s job list over at this guide:

As for getting an upgrade, yup. OVO’s engineers can upgrade gas and electric meters to Smart Meters in the same job and at the same time, provided OVO is the supplier for both. If someone else supplies your gas, you’d need to get them to do the gas meter separately as OVO wouldn’t be able to do it. There’s no charge to have a Meter Exchange done for the purposes of upgrading to Smart Meters, so you’re welcome to have the MEX done now anyway and then drop the gas supply in the future once you’ve stopped using it.

Either way, as part of the service OVO will also take care of disposing the removed meter(s) in an environmentally friendly way (recycling as much as possible) and also handle the paperwork related to it, such as updating ECOES and Xoserve records with the new meter details. In the event of a meter removal, OVO would also be able to cease future charges related to the disconnected supply and you’d simply have to pay off everything up to that point.

Hope that helps! We’ll be here if you need us. :)

a bit blurry, but you get the idea

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

While removing the meter and getting the supply disconnected will be expensive initially, it will also mean that your gas account can be closed.

Possibly better to state “may be expensive initially”, as a few suppliers will happily remove your meter for free in order to help you on your journey to #StopBurningStuff so it’s worth getting in touch with your supplier to see if they charge or not.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

While removing the meter and getting the supply disconnected will be expensive initially, it will also mean that your gas account can be closed.

Possibly better to state “may be expensive initially”, as a few suppliers will happily remove your meter for free in order to help you on your journey to #StopBurningStuff so it’s worth getting in touch with your supplier to see if they charge or not.

Thanks neal! I can “utilise” my Super User permissions for that kind of change. It’s only a single word, but I’ll tag an update note on it anyway until Tim or Jess can put a proper Mod Note on it. I’m not subject to the one hour edit limit!

a bit blurry, but you get the idea

Oh wow, I was thinking of something totally different! Thanks for sharing. :)

It’s probably using Imperial measurements as well actually, which OVO can support, since it’s mainly just a case of running a different calculation when converting it to kWh than it is for the Metric measurements used these days.

With that being said however, I’d say that space is absolutely perfectly sized for an S2 Flonidan UniFlo Smart Gas Meter. They’re about the same size as any other diaphragm gas meter so it should be an easy case of the good old switcheroo. Good thing that’s what OVO uses too! There’s not technically enough space for a Flonidan SciFlo using ultrasonic measurement, but you don’t see those as often anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I've been on the phone to OVO to arrange for our gas meter to be removed. Having discussed this with other people and read information about it I expected the entire process to be in OVO's hands. However I was told to contact SGN (our gas network) to arrange for the supply to be capped then OVO would remove the meter.

Have OVO given me incorrect information?

For info, Octopus's website says their engineers will remove the meter and cap the gas supply.

Userlevel 7

I've been on the phone to OVO to arrange for our gas meter to be removed. Having discussed this with other people and read information about it I expected the entire process to be in OVO's hands.

You’re right that a gas meter removal is something we can arrange without the need to involve your transporter, @M.isterW.

It’s disappointing to hear that the advice you received from the Support Team wasn’t accurate on this one - I’ve just sent you a PM to follow this up with you directly.

Hope we can get things sorted for you. :slight_smile:

@Jess_OVO can I ask if this information is still correct? We are currently trying to get gas capped and meter removed but are being told by Ovo that we have to contact our transporter (Wales & West Utilities). The transporter is saying they need to dig roads up and everything which seems unnecessary. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

The information above is still correct. It’s mostly a case of just removing the meter and capping off the supply. The pipework from the street remains in place to allow a future reconnection if you later need gas services again.

Thanks very much @Blastoise186. You don’t happen to know if there is a specific phone number to call Ovo on, or is it a case of going through the regular support number?

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Mostly the main line. But new options might appear at https://help.ovoenergy.com if you go there.

Im assuming the information is still accurate but I am currently on the phone with Ovo and they say they can uncap a meter but cant cap one. They say i need to go to the transporter. As with some of the replies above they are wanting to dig up the road and charge me £1000 but says Ovo should be able to cap at the meter and avoid all this substantial cost  

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@M.isterW any thoughts ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

OVO can remove your meter and will charge about £160. However, I strongly recommend that you don't ask OVO to do it. I have just come out of a year long struggle to get them to stop charging me after removing my meter. I eventually complained to the ombudsman which forced OVO to stop charging me and refund all my money. I'm not the only person who has had the same problem so my recommendation is that you change supplier and ask them to remove the meter. I can recommend Octopus as their customer service is much better. Also, I think they don't charge for meter removals.

I have a referral link for Octopus that you're welcome to use, which will get you £50.

https://share.octopus.energy/grey-crick-824

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

I'll add that some of OVO's customer service agents think the gas network operator needs to be involved, to remove the gas pipe. This is incorrect. All that needs to happen is that the energy company remove the meter and cap the pipe (fit a screw on cap). The gas network operator might then choose to remove the pipework but ours didn't bother. They can't work out where it joins gas main under the road so the pipe is still under our driveway.