Solved

Replacement meter going backwards with solar panels, again - why?!

Last year Ovo organised for a replacement for my ancient electricity meter, as the power generated from my solar panels was making it go backwards. This has now happened with the apparently up-to-the-minute replacement. Lots of people are now generating with solar panels, so any clues as to the answer? And please don't say: a smart meter!
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 11 July 2017, 18:51

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 18/09/23 by Abby_OVO

Sorry to hear that your replacement meter is experiencing the same problem and clocking backwards due to your solar panels.

This is a meter fault that can occur when you’ve got solar panels and an older meter, you can read more about this on our meter fault guide. As you mention having a recent traditional meter replacement it’s rare that the issue has re-occurred and it might be worth contacting your solar panel installer to check that the installation is wired up correctly to your meter.

As your meter is no longer clocking your usage accurately, reach out to our Support Team to arrange a faulty meter replacement. We understand the hesitancy in going smart but would encourage you to check out our guides to common smart meter myths and the full benefits of going smart. By upgrading to a smart meter with your meter replacement. Your meter will also be able to track you export readings, find out more about taking these readings here.

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

It's with npower, Lucy. But the meter concerned with that end of things is not the problem - it's the regular consumption meter that's affected.
Userlevel 5
It's with npower, Lucy. But the meter concerned with that end of things is not the problem - it's the regular consumption meter that's affected.

Cheers, @lekkimac. I’ve sent you a private message to get your details so we can help you further with this. ^Lucy
Userlevel 1
And please don't say: a smart meter!

For what it's worth, my OVO smart meter doesn't have this problem - in fact it separately meters exported electricity!
My original meter also did this and I must say that in simple terms "what goes up must come down" so in my old fashioned thinking this was the best way to charge me for just what I used! If it went backwards I was feeding the grid and if it went forwards I was using the grid and the difference would have been my bill. (all too simple obviously)
We have just switched to OVO for a new house we have built. PV solar panels have been installed and I notice the main electricity meter (not my export meter) is running backwards at times. I guess this is because we are generating more electricity than we are using. Should I be concerned?
Derek
Oops, should have said my generation meter instead of export meter (which I don't have)
Derek
Userlevel 5
We already had a topic on this, @scotrock, so I've moved your query over here.

We'll need to arrange to have the meter exchanged - however there would be a charge of £53 to do this.

To get this sorted, just give our Customer Care team a call on 0330 303 5063, they're available Monday-Friday 8am-6pm.

Eva
We have solar panels fitted and are linked in with FIT. Our electricity readings are less and less. When does this get rectified?
Userlevel 5
Hi @saartje,

I've moved your post over here as it seems to be a similar issue. Meters can sometimes start clocking backwards with solar panels, but we can get it replaced for you.

Give the team a call, as advised by @Eva_OVO above ☝🏼

Cheers!