Solved

How can I tell my day and night readings apart on an economy 7 meter?

• 16 February 2018
  • 21 replies

I have just submitted my first readings, but I'm not sure if reading 1 on my meter is day or night?

icon

Best answer by Bumblebee 17 February 2018, 15:14

View original

21 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 28/06/23 by Abby_OVO: 

Figured out how to read your Economy 7 meter but not sure which reading is which?

On a traditional meter sometimes the readings will be labelled - high and low or day and night - if not you might be able to check the current reading against your reading history on the ‘Meter Readings’ page of your online account or OVO app (download for Android or iOS).

If you can’t work it out using these methods the best way to tell is to carry out a Load Test​. This involves taking two sets of readings during your peak hours - only one reading should change which will be your daytime register:

How to do a load test

Just read both readings on your electricity meter twice on the same day – first in the morning (after 9am) and then in the afternoon or evening (before 9pm). Then email us at hello@ovoenergy.com with the following info:

• Meter Serial Number: ***********
  • Date you took the meter readings: **/**/**
  • Morning meter readings and the time you took them: 
  • Time: **am
  • The day register ID and reading: R* - *****
  • The night register ID and reading: R* - *****
  • Afternoon or evening meter readings and the time you took them: 
  • Time: **am.
  • The day register ID and reading: R* - *****
  • The night register ID and reading: R* - *****
  • Do you have an electric heating system (e.g. storage heaters)? Yes/No

Register IDs are the little numbers or letters on the left-hand side of the reading (e.g. R1/R2/L/N etc).

We’ll then get back in touch with you to clarify matters! 

Not sure how to find your peak/off peak times? - This topic might help.

​​​​​​

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

Userlevel 5
I have just submitted my first readings, but I'm not sure if reading 1 on my meter is day or night?
It’s really important that these are submitted round the right way otherwise the amount that we bill you will be incorrect.

If you’d like the team to check this for you, please send them a private message on Facebook or Twitter with your name, DoB and account number and they can help further.

Lucy
Not sure this _is_ solved by comparing numbers submitted on older bill, if I'm the only one who has ever submitted the numbers! How could I have known the correct order in the first place if there's no indication of day/night on the meter? It may have been wrong for years [gaaah!]

How reliable is the 'lower number=night rate' heuristic, because that does not fit my case?

(I have a Type 5235D-N meter and can supply photos to a suitably private party)

Why does OVO only ask for 1 meter reading line, when I have a Day Rate, Night Rate and a 3rd reading (which doesn’t have 1 or 2 next to it).

Which one am I submitting for my opening bill? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Why does OVO only ask for 1 meter reading line, when I have a Day Rate, Night Rate and a 3rd reading (which doesn’t have 1 or 2 next to it).

Which one am I submitting for my opening bill? 

Hi @nhill 

First thing I'd check is what tariff OVO thinks you are on. If this is a single rate tariff then it may be why they are only asking for one reading.

Is your 3rd reading the total of readings 1 and 2? If so, this may be the one they are after, but only if it's a single rate tariff.

Userlevel 7

Some great advice from @nealmurphy there!

Have you applied to join us through a switch, @nhill? If so we’d recommend checking the advice given in the guide below.

You can double-check whether you’ve signed up for a single-rate or dual-rate plan by double-checking your Welcome Pack. A dual rate plan would include ‘Economy 7’ as part of the name.

If you’re not sure you’ve signed up for the right plan or need some help confirming which readings to submit we’d recommend reaching out to our Support Team. The quickest way to get in touch is via our webchat which you can find here.

Hope this helps.

Our property used to have economy 7 heating but we removed it and put in gas central heating instead.  Our electric meter seems to give us three seperate readings which I assume goes back to when it was all econmy seven.  I don’t know which is the right reading.  This wouldn’t be a problem except we now let out the flat upstairs and have to work out their electric usage so we can charge them separately. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Hi @hungdrawnquoted if you can find out the model someone will probably be able to decode it for you. There are some guides also like this

Every time I'm asked to submit a reading I panic because I don't know which reading to use for day or for night.  Our meter has 3 readings.  One has a small digit 1 and another has 2.  The final just has a reading.  Which is day reading and which is night?

Userlevel 7
Badge

If you could take a photo and post it here, we’d be able to tell you 🙂

My guess is that 1 is Rate 1, normally day/peak, 2 is rate 2, night/offpeak and the other one is the total of those two. Is that possible?

Some meters have the day/night registers the other way round (1 - night/offpeak, 2 - day/peak). If you can find your meter reading history online (Meter readings history - OVO Energy), you can compare the historical figures with the ones on the meter to identify which is which.

Userlevel 7

Hey @Soozeeb123,

You can check this by seeing which register clocks during day or peak hours.

Let us know how you get on 😊

Thank you Firedog and Emmanuelle

These are the readings.

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

I’ve seen these Ampy meters before quite a few times.

Rate 1 is Night

Rate 2 is Day

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Attention! End of Service Life Meter detected.

Your meter(s) appear to have reached the end of their Service Life and are up for possible recertification due to their age. It’s time to replace them anyway so you might want to get that booked in.

The fastest way is via https://smart-booking.ovoenergy.com .

So thanks Blastoise186 for your suggestion that meter might be due for replacement.  Hadn't noticed end date of previous service.  As a rented property we assumed that landlord would arrange this but now understand it's our responsibility.

After numerous attempts I've still not been able to book a replacement.

Any suggestions?

Userlevel 6

Hey @Soozeeb123 

Sorry to hear that.

What’s the issue you’re facing when trying to book? Are you unable to speak with someone, or have you tried booking online? 

This topic may be helpful if you’ve not tried making a booking online yet:

Tried to book online and message reads

Sorry, we encountered an error

We're having difficulty setting up your smart meter booking at the moment. Please try again later.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Soozeeb123 

Sorry to hear that.

It could be that there are no available times at the moment. You could contact the Support Team who’ll be able to confirm what’s preventing you from booking and appointment, and if it’s a technical issue, and there in fact slots available, the team will be able to book this with you.

My meter says R1 and R2 which one is day rate and which one is off-peak?

Userlevel 7
Badge

Impossible to say without doing some testing. Assuming you’re talking about an Economy 7 set-up, take a reading for both R1 and R2 during the day, then again a few hours later. The one that is now higher is the Day rate. If they’re still the same, boil a couple of kettles and then look again.

If you’re on a different tariff, tell us which and where you are in the country. Then we can adjust the test to make sure you’re only measuring higher rate usage.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Big G 

Firedog has left some really good advice here already for you on this, but I just wanted to add, we’ve got got another topic on this that may also be helpful to you:

Hope this helps.🙂