Solved

Do OVO fit traditional economy 7 meters? Looking to install storage heaters and I don't want a smart meter

• 16 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Looking to install storage heaters and want a traditional economy seven meter not a smart meter

icon

Best answer by Jequinlan 17 September 2020, 09:03

@Sjbn : My understanding (correct me if i am wrong @Transparent , @Tim_OVO) is that OVO don't fit "classic" E7 meters at all now. They will take on existing meters but I don't believe E7 meters are part of the current offering. Smart meters (which can be setup in e7 mode) are the way of the future as they will support Time of Use Tarrifs which is like E7 on steroids with up to 0.5hrly pricing differences. We all need to embrace smart meters for the future of the both the grid and supply but also the planet. 

This article may help: 

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

@Sjbn : My understanding (correct me if i am wrong @Transparent , @Tim_OVO) is that OVO don't fit "classic" E7 meters at all now. They will take on existing meters but I don't believe E7 meters are part of the current offering. Smart meters (which can be setup in e7 mode) are the way of the future as they will support Time of Use Tarrifs which is like E7 on steroids with up to 0.5hrly pricing differences. We all need to embrace smart meters for the future of the both the grid and supply but also the planet. 

This article may help: 

I agree with him,why do we all have to switch to smart meters. It's not law, and if anyone went online to look at the cons of smart meters they probably wouldn't want one neither. I think the sad truth is that it's the goverment who want us all to have one and obviously reward the energy companies for each one they install. My traditional key meter went blank and nabuh kept saying they couldn't source one so I would have to have a smart meter. I refused and in the end they got a warrant and broke in and fitted one in my absence,obviously no warning!. Now wouldn't it be nice if ovo or boost offered their customers a choice!!

Userlevel 7

Sorry to hear about that experience getting the meter fitted, @Smudgershane, but if a faulty meter needs replacing, and the supplier (it sounds like Boost Power is your supplier) only have the more modern meter model available, there’s not much choice the supplier has, I would argue. 

It’s a bit like insisting that landline telephone boxes are kept available for the population that don’t want to use a mobile phones when outside their house. I think this is a good example to use, as there were (or still are?) concerns about safety with these devices. 

We’ve made a guide on smart meter safety here.