Solved

How do I arrange to move the meter to the other side of the wall?

• 10 April 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi,

Would like to move the meter from the front room to the outside wall. It is literally on the other side of the wall, thus under 1 meter.

Please do advise.

Kind regards
Azzam
icon

Best answer by Transparent 10 April 2018, 20:21

Updated 9/3/2020

Hi @azzam

Which meter? - Gas or Electricity?

I have some experience of this, but whether it is relevant depends which area of the country you live in. I'm in Devon, so my electricity supply is handled by Western Power, and gas by Wales & West Utilities. I have found both very easy to deal with. They have explained which parts of the meter-relocation I may do, and which requires a registered engineer.

In my area, moving a gas meter a short distance is a capped fee. Last time I checked I think it was about £100. This assumes that I collect the new Meter-box and fit this to the wall before Wales & West do the actual move.

The twice that I've relocated an electricity meter, I have again fitted the meter-box myself, and then hired in an approved electrician to run the meter-tails (cables) to the new location. Western Power were called to site by the electrician to re-seal the meter and provide a new 100A fuse. They didn't charge for this at all. Their main concern was safety, including checking the resistance to the new earth-stake.

What more would you like to know? There’s a similar topic about this here

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Updated 9/3/2020

Hi @azzam

Which meter? - Gas or Electricity?

I have some experience of this, but whether it is relevant depends which area of the country you live in. I'm in Devon, so my electricity supply is handled by Western Power, and gas by Wales & West Utilities. I have found both very easy to deal with. They have explained which parts of the meter-relocation I may do, and which requires a registered engineer.

In my area, moving a gas meter a short distance is a capped fee. Last time I checked I think it was about £100. This assumes that I collect the new Meter-box and fit this to the wall before Wales & West do the actual move.

The twice that I've relocated an electricity meter, I have again fitted the meter-box myself, and then hired in an approved electrician to run the meter-tails (cables) to the new location. Western Power were called to site by the electrician to re-seal the meter and provide a new 100A fuse. They didn't charge for this at all. Their main concern was safety, including checking the resistance to the new earth-stake.

What more would you like to know? There’s a similar topic about this here

I am planning on doing some renovations on my house and would like to move my gas meter approximately 30cm to the left on an exterior wall - how do I go about doing this?
Userlevel 6
Hey @J.lowrie - I've moved your post over here where someone's asked a similar question.

Check out Transparent's answer. The correct price for moving a gas meter under 1m is £124.80, and OVO can do this. Give the team a ring on 0330 303 5063 to arrange.

Cheers

Hi there,

I am doing some renovation work and I need to move the gas meter from the front room to the outside wall. It is literally on the other side of the wall, thus under 1 meter. 

Please let me know, is it doable if so what’s the process and cost?

Thanks,

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @djiouk and welcome to the Forum.

Yes, the relocation is doable. However it involves parts of your gas connection which are the responsibility of different parties. The final cost probably relies on:

a: how much of the pipework you also want moved to the other side of the wall

b: whether you can get one party to undertake two (or all 3) bits of the work

Your gas supply pipework is owned by the Gas Distribution Company (or Transporter) for your area. This includes the riser and the gas isolator valve with the lever.

Since I don’t know where you are geographically, I’ll illustrate this by pointing you to the relevant Online Application Forms for Wales & West Utilities. But your GDN may be another company. If you complete your Forum Profile, I’ll be able to identify which GDN covers your area, assuming that you’re not with an IGT (Independent Gas Transporter).

The meter is the responsibility of your current Energy Supplier. Since this is currently an old-style analogue meter, you can probably reduce costs by integrating this part of the work into a Smart Meter installation.

The pipework beyond the meter is your responsibility, but may only be altered by a registered Gas Safe Engineer.

You could start by asking OVO how much of the work they’d be prepared to do, based on the estimate of £124 given by @Nancy_OVO above, and the change to a Smart Meter.