Solved

Can I get my gas meter relocated?

• 23 April 2019
  • 14 replies

• Carbon Cutter*
  • 2 replies

Hi to all,

After a long conversation with British Gas about relocating the gas meter, the answer was no, even if I need the meter to be moved from the right side of the wall to the left side only. And, all these are under 10 inch long. They said it’s free to move 1m to the right and 1m above, but not to moved on a different wall. This seems a bit ridiculous and without common sense.

To pay 1500 pounds sounds a bit crazy.

Is there any other way to sort this out?

I am willing to pay some money, but not that weird price.

Please see the photos attached. Gas meter to be moved from right to the left. Even the main gas pipe has an extension to do that.

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Eva_OVO 24 April 2019, 17:32

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 5

Updated on 13/07/23 by Abby_OVO

Thanks for getting in touch about the process of getting your gas meter relocated. Whilst suppliers such as OVO can help in the relocation of your gas meter, if you’re looking to move the meter on to a different wall than it’s current location, we’re not the ones who need to be involved. You can find out who is responsible for each part of your meter setup on our handy guide

OVO can only complete gas meter moves where all of the following criteria are met:

• The meter is being moved less than 1 metre on the same wall face
  • The Emergency Control Valve (ECV) does not need to be moved - this is the handle on the pipework going into the top-right of the meter
  • The meter is currently inside and the new location is inside (if the meter is in an outside meter box, the move will have to be undertaken by the transporter as the ECV will also need to be moved).

What if OVO can’t move the meter?

• If any of the criteria is not met, the customer will need to contact their transporter to move their pipework and the meter. The transporters’ phone number can usually be seen on a sticker on the gas meter, or you can check with the Support Team who’ll be able to tell you.  The transporter will charge their own fees based on the work required.

• If the meter is being moved from semi-concealed (partially buried in the ground) to wall-mounted then the meter will need to be changed by OVO, this will need to take place as the current meter is will not be compatible to be installed as wall-mounted. You’ll need to arrange a morning appointment with the transporter for the supply reposition, and then an afternoon (14:00-18:00) appointment with OVO for the meter exchange and the customer will cost £106 to OVO. 

• Whether or not OVO attends, once meter move is complete, the engineer will cap the supply as the engineers are not qualified to perform the relevant gas safety checks to turn the supply back on. Therefore you’ll need to arrange a private gas safety engineer to connect the meter to the boiler and uncap the gas supply following the engineer visit.

If you’re an OVO member and would like to get a meter relocation arranged reach out to our Support Team. They’ll ask a few questions and may request some photographs of the meter setup before hand.

As a non-essential maintenance job, there’s a charge for us to move your meter - Check the up-to date cost on the guide below:

OVO member but not got a smart meter yet? - Book today!

Interested but not yet an OVO member? - Check out our plans!

HI.
Thanks for the reply.
I am with British gas.
I will get in touch with NG.

Valy
Well, I have called National Grid. Not much of a help.
They charge 1500 pounds.

😣😮🤐
Userlevel 4
@Valy ouch!

Hi

i want to move my gas meter to the other side of the electric meter which I believe is less than 1 meter. Is this free? On the website it states it is and during the conversation arranging the appointment it states it’s free however I’ve had an email saying it’s charged. Gas meter is on the left and will be moved to the other side of the electric metwr

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Heya @Sophieae !

Sure thing, just so you’re aware, I’m a forum volunteer who doesn’t work for OVO. However, if needed, I can get advice from a very helpful OVO Smart Meter Engineer who knows just about everything (and he could advise on this setup if I got stuck).

By the looks of things, the new position of the meter would be beyond the range of the current flexible hose, meaning it probably wouldn’t be free, but circumstances can affect this.

If it’s OK for me to ask, what’s the reason you’d like to move the meter? This purely helps me to figure out your options.

We want to move the meter as it’s in the way. The previous owners have used this cupboard as half pantry other storage however we want to get rid of the pantry side in order to put a fridge there 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

Thanks, that definitely makes sense.

If memory serves, I’m afraid you would probably have to pay, mainly because you’re going beyond the reach of the flexi-hose. You may also need a Gas Safe Engineer to help with reconnecting pipework as well. This website can help you find one.

I also noticed that your current meters are at the end of their service life and are due for replacement. If you’re ready to do that, https://smart-booking.ovoenergy.com is the fastest way to get that set up. Just so you’re aware, the only upgrade path is to Smart Meters - the old Traditional Meters are no longer available.

We are having a smart fitted next week, unfortunately no one from ovo came come to move the meter until after the smart meter is fitted though. Is it best to speak to whoever fits our smart meter? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

That engineer won't be able to move anything. They can only do what is listed on the job request.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Sophieae 

Some great advice from Blastoise on this!

Is it best to speak to whoever fits our smart meter? 

Like Blastoise said, they won’t be able to move the meter as they’re only permitted to carry out the work on the request as this is what they’ll have prepared for, but if you ask them about it they may be able to advise on the distance of the meter move, giving you a better idea. The engineers are trained on different things to ensure a broad spectrum of specialities so ‘moving meters’ may not be their thing but it’s worth an ask if you want to.🙂

Hi Abby,

I don’t expect them to be able to move the meter I was just looking for some advice really so we can then try and figure out a cost as we were under the impression it would be free due to the distance. However after discussing in this forum we now know it will more than likely be charged. 

thanks for everyone’s help

Our Smart Gas Meter is positioned well under our staircase.  As we are in our late 70’s and early 80’s we are now unable to get down onto the floor and crawl under the stairs to reach it and if there was ever a need for us to have to turn off our gas supply this would be a virtual impossibility.  

What we would like to know who is responsible for moving this smart gas meter to a position that is accessible for the consumer, or can it be sited outside the property.  

Your suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge

Please check the qualifications for being enrolled on the Priority Services Register - it seems fairly obvious that you are both eligible. Then have a look at the benefits, for example:

• Move your meter or Pay As You Go meter – if you find it difficult to read or reach your meter, we can relocate it for easier access.