Solved

Can anyone advise if the PVC pipe is suitable?

• 30 March 2020
  • 8 replies

Gas meter

Guys please see attached image. Can you kindly advise if the PVC pipe is suitable? Does this class as a GRP protective sleeve? 

I am concerned about the lack of brackets on all of the pipework. Can anyone kindly advise what the standard practice is? Looks like lazy workmahsip to me.  As the meter is placed adjacent to a public footpath I was expecting a more robust install.

Unfortunately I don’t have any access BS6400-1.

Any help would be greatly apprecaited.

Kind Regards

icon

Best answer by Transparent 30 March 2020, 18:13

Hmmm. So Miller claim to win more NHBC Awards than any other Developer. But then… that’s a pretty low bar to aim for!

They get two out of five stars on Trustpilot, although with the Review Stats I wonder how they got that many:

Frankly, if your most serious complaint is that the gas pipes have insufficient support, then you’ve done better than the majority of their customers. :scream:

No, I don’t know the rules for fixing gas pipes, but I can probably check with a contact who surveys houses for such criteria. I’m unsure if the rules are different in Scotland. How did you find out it was BS6400-1 ?

At the moment I’m asking you questions to check if Miller have to obey the current standards. It’s often the case that major house-builders pre-register the entire estate with NHBC. This fixes the build standard at whatever prevailed at that time, regardless of when the houses are eventually built.

So can I ask:

• What is the date of the SAP certification on the bottom of the printout (this is automatically inserted by the SAP software).
  • Do you happen to know the Planning Application ID for the original Outline Consent? If not, do you know the ID for the Final Application (at least for the phase your house is built within)?

Thanks.

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi @Henry17 and welcome to the Forum.

You can actually insert graphics directly here. You don’t need to put them on an external site. So for the sale of others reading this Topic, here’s the photo

The resolution doesn’t enable us to see how the yellow plastic pipe is clamped by the brass fitting above it.

Using PVC pipe isn’t a problem. A new T-joint into the 250mm main outside my house was made just last month. All of the new pipe and pre-formed joints/angles were pvc.

Who installed the pipework you’ve shown in the photo?

Is it a new house?

Transparent, many thanks on a few fronts…...for the welcome, for the speedy response and for confirming I can infact share an image instead of thinking I had cracked it as a computer whizz kid by creating a URL :joy:

This is a brand new house and I am within the snagging period. I feel that the install could be more robust. If you pull on both the plastic and copper they have significant movement. Not ideal, are there any regulations that state a bracket is required?

I personally would never fit any pipework in such a manner, far from a neat install.

Thoughts?

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Yes @Henry17 - I have lots of thoughts; and not many of them benevolent towards the major house-builders!

So

• fill out your Forum profile so we can see where you are
  • tell us which developer has built the house
  • is it under the NHBC 10-year guarantee scheme?
  • Have they supplied you with the SAP (Energy Assessment) documentation?
  • If not under NHBC, have you got the Building Regs certification?

That’s enough for starters!

Transparent

• fill out your Forum profile so we can see where you are - done!
  • tell us which developer has built the house - Miller homes
  • is it under the NHBC 10-year guarantee scheme? - yes
  • Have they supplied you with the SAP (Energy Assessment) documentation? - yes
  • If not under NHBC, have you got the Building Regs certification? - N/A

Thanks for you continued help, can you kindly advise what the proper set up should look like?

Kind Regards

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hmmm. So Miller claim to win more NHBC Awards than any other Developer. But then… that’s a pretty low bar to aim for!

They get two out of five stars on Trustpilot, although with the Review Stats I wonder how they got that many:

Frankly, if your most serious complaint is that the gas pipes have insufficient support, then you’ve done better than the majority of their customers. :scream:

No, I don’t know the rules for fixing gas pipes, but I can probably check with a contact who surveys houses for such criteria. I’m unsure if the rules are different in Scotland. How did you find out it was BS6400-1 ?

At the moment I’m asking you questions to check if Miller have to obey the current standards. It’s often the case that major house-builders pre-register the entire estate with NHBC. This fixes the build standard at whatever prevailed at that time, regardless of when the houses are eventually built.

So can I ask:

• What is the date of the SAP certification on the bottom of the printout (this is automatically inserted by the SAP software).
  • Do you happen to know the Planning Application ID for the original Outline Consent? If not, do you know the ID for the Final Application (at least for the phase your house is built within)?

Thanks.

Userlevel 6

Hey @Henry17,

I just wanted to jump in here and let you know that you’ll likely need to contact your Gas Transporter (or potentially a Gas Safe Engineer) to alter anything that’s not the meter itself.

Please continue to use the forum to get help and advice from other users on the subject by all means, but OVO wouldn’t be able to change the pipework for you.

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Technically @Nancy_OVO is correct… but in this case it’s not your responsibility because the installation is part of a new house which is still within the builder’s guarantee.

The left gas pipe (the supply) is always going to remain the property of the Gas Transporter. So who installed the pipework on this new development? Was it Scottish Gas Networks or did Miller put out the work to an Independent Gas Transporter (IGT)?

If you don’t know, have a look at the gas meter number. The seven UK registered IGTs install meters that commence with 74, 75, 76 or 77.

Quite apart from the supply pipe not being supported as you’d expect, I’m also concerned at how deep it runs below the gravel area in the foreground of the photo. It seems to be turning towards the camera in a manner which suggests it’s at shallow depth.

I can’t tell which way the two outlet pipes turn when they enter the ground. It would be more common for the outlet to exit the rear of the meter-box and straight into the property.

It remains the case that each of these two 22mm outlet pipes must have an earth bond connected to the metalwork within 600mm of the entry point into the building.

So there’s a few more things for you to check, @Henry17 !