Solved

Why were my estimated readings so low?

• 16 January 2020
  • 1 reply

I’ve been paying a fixed rate of £65 a month since Feb 2018, and my bills, based on estimates, were usually between £30-45 a month, so a substantial credit had accumulated. I finally submitted a meter reading a few weeks ago and the last bill was £183! So presumably the estimates were way, way too low, so why is this? We hardly use the gas excessively either, it’s a one bed flat and we just have the heating on for a few hours a day, and cook one meal, so why were the estimates so completely wrong, if indeed they were and this isn’t a mistake?

icon

Best answer by Amy_OVO 17 January 2020, 11:00

Hey @lewis,

Estimates are based on readings collected over 3-5 years, either by us or the industry. The accuracy of the estimates is wholly based on the readings available. It sounds like you haven’t give a reading for nearly 2 years, this would mean that the estimated readings we’re using are dated and by the sounds of it not inline with your usage. 

If you don’t want any estimates to show on your statements, you’ll just need to give readings the day before your statement is due, your home may be eligible for a smart meter, this would mean we could take a remote readings ensuring your statements are produced to an accurate reading. 

Thanks!

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge

Hey @lewis,

Estimates are based on readings collected over 3-5 years, either by us or the industry. The accuracy of the estimates is wholly based on the readings available. It sounds like you haven’t give a reading for nearly 2 years, this would mean that the estimated readings we’re using are dated and by the sounds of it not inline with your usage. 

If you don’t want any estimates to show on your statements, you’ll just need to give readings the day before your statement is due, your home may be eligible for a smart meter, this would mean we could take a remote readings ensuring your statements are produced to an accurate reading. 

Thanks!