Solved

Why isn't my electricity meter recording usage properly?

• 1 December 2017
  • 9 replies

Despite several phone calls and emails to Ovo my meter has not been repaired. Anyone else have that problem?
icon

Best answer by Mw2870 11 September 2018, 20:47

My meter readings for the past three months are MINUS 84 UNITS! How is that possible? Now sent a post dated bill for £1700+ ! OVO suggested I put my payments up to £475 per month but will not admit the meter is faulty. Can`t have a `smart` meter here due to low internet and phone coverage. Have FIT and RHI payments and therefor well insulated, PV panels and air to air heat pump, so have arranged for the installers to help.
Thanks OVO

Could these negative meter readings be to do with your Solar Panels?
Do you have a generation meter installed?

I don't have Solar Panels myself, so am no expert, but found this article:
https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/feed-in-tariffs/article/feed-in-tariffs/electricity-meters-running-backwards
View original

9 replies

Yes, my problem is with the Gas side of things, it takes 20 seconds for my meter to show Electrical changes. On Gas it takes a total of 9 minuets to show I'm not using any Gas? and 2 Minuets to show it on. Not "smart" for me, very "smart" for OVO.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi @KJRoffey and @richard4. Welcome to the forum.
I noticed that you didn't get any replies to your posts. Have your issues with your meters now been resolved?
My meter readings for the past three months are MINUS 84 UNITS! How is that possible? Now sent a post dated bill for £1700+ ! OVO suggested I put my payments up to £475 per month but will not admit the meter is faulty. Can`t have a `smart` meter here due to low internet and phone coverage. Have FIT and RHI payments and therefor well insulated, PV panels and air to air heat pump, so have arranged for the installers to help.
Thanks OVO
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Thanks OVO

Could these negative meter readings be to do with your Solar Panels?
Do you have a generation meter installed?

I don't have Solar Panels myself, so am no expert, but found this article:
https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/feed-in-tariffs/article/feed-in-tariffs/electricity-meters-running-backwards
Thanks - most informative, but after my last minus reading OVO have charged me for the whole three years since the panels were installed, also our reading have not decreased but increased !
Our EPC for this house means we should expect our electricity bills to half, but apparently we are using four times the useage for our home, according to the OVO website. I would like a written explanation of the latest Bill but no response.
I'm sorry you haven't had a response from the team yet @Essarvi

Send your query over hello@ovoenergy.com and our Customer Care team will be happy to help!
Emailed them on Monday with all the details. Installer to visit tomorrow to check system. Started PV panels on 15/12/2015 and have used a staggering 34,500 units according to the meter! I think the meter reaches 9 then activates the 10 but might go backwards then forwards again, clocking another 100? Meter leapt from 09599 to 22875 = 13,267 units in 15 months, next reading 23260, which is 385 units in 3 months ! There are only two people living here - cannot possibly use that amount of electricity, especially with the PV panels and heat pump.
Sounds like contact with Ofgem is required. I'm still waiting for my meter issue to be resolved, but despite two appointments, post installation, for the engineer to attend (he only attended one, then phoned to say he wouldn't be coming on the day of the second due to mobile problems at OVO's end) I still have no smart meters providing usage information for billing and no contact from OVO to arrange another appointment. Plus my thread describing all this has been deleted and I can no longer add to it. I wish I'd never bothered.
Userlevel 5
Badge
Not good to hear, @dasilvor. In order to help with this and get the issue sorted, we'd need your account information. Send the team a PM on Facebook or Twitter with your account number, full name and DoB and hopefully they'll be able to help you reach a resolution.