Pinned Solved

Why am I sent meter reading reminders?

• 7 February 2018
  • 1 reply

Why do you keep asking for my meter readings, OVO?

I know what my annual energy usage is - I've tracked it for the last few years - and I know what causes it to go up and down. In other words, I'm very happy with the way that I use energy.

So I signed up to OVO on a fixed term contract for 24 months, and because I know pretty accurately what my usage is, I can have an entirely predictable monthly cost which spreads my energy bill evenly over the year.

So I DO NOT want or need regular reminders of my use, and I DEFINITELY do not want my direct debit to change to reflect the fact that I use more electricity in Winter and less in Summer.

So why am I plagued with these "send me your readings" or "update your direct debit to avoid debt" emails? I already know that I will use more electricity than I'm paying for in Winter ... and equally I know that I will use less than I'm paying for in Summer.

I'm happy to send annual meter readings or, at a pinch, 6-monthly ones. But please, OVO, don't hassle me. What can I do to stop you?
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 12 February 2018, 14:35

Hey CCRB,

We highly recommend customers providing meter readings each month so that we can ensure we’re issuing them with accurate bills. If no readings are given, we need to use estimated readings and these may either underestimate or overestimate usage.

The communications you’ve received are standard communications that we send to our customers. We can stop the Direct Debit reminders from being sent but if your credit drops below one month in credit for a period of time, you may get notifications asking you to increase your Direct Debit to avoid falling into debt.

If you’d like to speak to the team about this a bit further, please send them a message on Facebook or Twitter so they can look into the specifics on your account.

I’ve also updated the title slightly to make it more reflect the content of your topic.

Lucy
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hey CCRB,

We highly recommend customers providing meter readings each month so that we can ensure we’re issuing them with accurate bills. If no readings are given, we need to use estimated readings and these may either underestimate or overestimate usage.

The communications you’ve received are standard communications that we send to our customers. We can stop the Direct Debit reminders from being sent but if your credit drops below one month in credit for a period of time, you may get notifications asking you to increase your Direct Debit to avoid falling into debt.

If you’d like to speak to the team about this a bit further, please send them a message on Facebook or Twitter so they can look into the specifics on your account.

I’ve also updated the title slightly to make it more reflect the content of your topic.

Lucy