Solved

What should I do if my gas meter box full of water and I can't read it?

Our gas meter box has flooded. I have removed as much water as I can but the condensation covering the dial make it impossible to read.

icon

Best answer by SR3 7 January 2020, 09:09

@LAM I'd contact OVO as they should be able to replace the meter. As it looks like you have a traditional meter you might have to have a smart meter installed. Happy days.

It might be worth checking how your box became flooded and repair any damage before booking. 

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

@LAM I'd contact OVO as they should be able to replace the meter. As it looks like you have a traditional meter you might have to have a smart meter installed. Happy days.

It might be worth checking how your box became flooded and repair any damage before booking. 

Thanks, OVO are sending an engineer out.  The box is below ground level but it hasn’t flooded before in the time we have lived there (11 years), although we have had a lot of rain.  I have resisted smart meters because I doubt it will be able to ping readings anywhere from that position (plus I am waiting for all the problems everyone else seems to be having to be resolved).

Userlevel 3
Badge

@LAM that's excellent that you have managed to get it sorted with OVO. Might be worth asking the engineer what the final reading on your meter is when he removes it, if he can see it.

@SR3 Good point - will do.

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

If you tap the window fairly hard with your finger, it should dislodge some condensation to enable you to read the meter, if that doesn’t work, wait for the OVO man to come.

if they install a new meter, make sure there’s a hole in the bottom of the box for the water to drain out

Thanks Peter, Ovo suggested warm water and a hairdryer but neither worked. The meter is not in a great place - under ground level in a border - but this is the first time this has happened.

Userlevel 3
Badge

@LAM if you speak to your regional gas supplier they may be able to move the meter, but there may be a cost for this

Who do I contact to get a meter changed as my gas meter is unreadable due to installation position and condensation.

David

Userlevel 6
Badge +1

Hi David, a picture would make it easier for us to comment.

Peter

Userlevel 5

Are you experiencing the same issue as @LAM, @David green? If you are, take a look at the best answer for more help with this. 

@Eva_OVO@David green, contact Ovo, send photos and they will book an engineer visit to replace the meter. I also contacted National Grid gas to find out who is responsible for my gas supply (ring 0800 111 999) and rang the supplier in my area. They are also coming out with a view to moving the meter. Appts are this week and next so will update once they have been.

Update:  The SMS (smart metering service) engineer (arranged through Ovo) came out this morning and said he could not replace the meter until the box had been moved.  I will relay this to the National Grid gas, who are coming out to (hopefully) move the meter next week.  I just hope that they do not say they can’t move the meter until it has been replaced…...

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @LAM 

Where is the meter going, and will it need a box in it’s new location? Normally the relocation would have to be first, so you should be fine!

Cheers

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

May I just bring some clarity here?

Before requesting that work be done, it’s important to understand which party has responsibility for what.

No consumer should ever need to contact the National Gas Grid. They are solely responsible for the high-pressure mains that traverse the country.

There are five companies who manage the Gas Distribution Network (GDN). Here’s the current map from Ofgem’s website:

Your local GDN is responsible for the pipework to your house up to, and including, the Isolation Valve:

The Meter is the responsibility of your current Energy Supplier - OVO in this case. If you switch Supplier, then they take over that responsibility regardless of which company originally fitted the meter.

The gas pipework inside your house is your responsibility, but can only be worked on by an engineer who is Gas-Safe registered.

The plastic Meter Box is the house-owners responsibility. If a new hinge or door needs fitting, for example, then you can do this yourself.

If you want a meter relocated then you can buy an appropriate box and have it fitted in advance of your GDN engineer arriving on site. This would be most appropriate if you decided to have a new meter box embedded within the wall by a local builder.

Here is an inbuilt gas meter box and associated components available from the UK company BES for £33 +VAT.

I hope this clarifies who you need to turn to for different parts of the process.