Solved

What happens when your meter reading goes over 99999?

• 27 August 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi

I've just switched to OVO and need to submit a meter reading, but just want to make sure that if my dial is now reading 00071 (previous reading was 99888), that I should submit it as 100071. Some people seem to think it should reset back to 0, but want to double check what OVO want.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Transparent 27 August 2018, 12:28

Hi @TomI. You don't add the leading figure 1.

If your My OVO is already active, or you have the OVO App on a Smartphone, then you'll be presented with only five boxes for the digits.

The algorithms used to calculate usage and bills are able to cope with the point at which the reading "rolls over".

If your My OVO page isn't already live, then you can send the readings by email to hello@ovoenergy.com which has the added benefit that it automatically gets a time/date stamp to prove when you sent it! 🙂
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi @TomI. You don't add the leading figure 1.

If your My OVO is already active, or you have the OVO App on a Smartphone, then you'll be presented with only five boxes for the digits.

The algorithms used to calculate usage and bills are able to cope with the point at which the reading "rolls over".

If your My OVO page isn't already live, then you can send the readings by email to hello@ovoenergy.com which has the added benefit that it automatically gets a time/date stamp to prove when you sent it! 🙂
OK, thanks. I can't use the app yet, but when I enter them on the website it says they expect it to be between 100036 and 100651. I assume that's some kind of oversight if the app only allows 5 numbers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hmm @TomI. I've just logged in and checked my own My OVO page. When I click on Meter Readings there are definitely only five boxes in which to place the digits!
Hmm, here's what I see when entering the reading on the website: https://imgur.com/a/r7ZB5A1
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
OK, @TomI.

So others can view this in future, I'm just uploading your screenshot here:

And here's a screenshot of my page for comparison:

So I'm deducing that you are seeing a different screen because your's is an Initial Reading for someone just moving to OVO.... in which case try adding the leading 1 and see if it gets accepted.

If not, then I would suggest sending OVO an email anyway.
OK, thanks for your help!