Solved

The readings from my meter have never been correct - how can I fix this?

• 12 December 2018
  • 1 reply

Since taking up residence in my home in 2011, my gas & electric services have been provided by several providers. Upon taking up residence, I gave my initial meter readings with my then provider. Since then I've moved provider giving the last/first meter readings as you do when leaving one provider and joining another. So since 2011 I've check my meters and given monthly readings to whatever provider I've been with. Since Apr 2014 Ovo have been my provider. I've now realised that I've misread one of the meters, so rather than reading the first number as 1, I've been reading it as 0. This hasn't affected the amount of energy I've used, have been due to pay and faithfully paid. Now for me, this doesn't have to be an issue until I come to leave the home, as only at that point will the new residents give what you expect to be the correct meter number. Of course I'm concerned that Ovo will try to charge me for what amounts to 10000 units of energy. Or is the consensus that Ovo would understand whats happened, and upon seeing that the pattern of the meter readings I've given since 2014 make sense, not seek to claim any undue outstanding monies from me?
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 13 December 2018, 16:43

Hi there @iangster

This is a bit of a unique query so I thought I'd jump in with some info.

As your meter readings are also recorded by an industry body, it's important they're corrected. It might not change your bill by much, but it could affect the billing of the tenant/homeowner before you and the one after. It could also cause problems if they want to change energy provider.

I'd advise getting in touch with the team on 0330 303 5063 to let them know about this, as well as sending them a photo of your meter so we have confirmation of your up to date reading. You can send this to hello@ovoenergy.com

Hope this helps!
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi there @iangster

This is a bit of a unique query so I thought I'd jump in with some info.

As your meter readings are also recorded by an industry body, it's important they're corrected. It might not change your bill by much, but it could affect the billing of the tenant/homeowner before you and the one after. It could also cause problems if they want to change energy provider.

I'd advise getting in touch with the team on 0330 303 5063 to let them know about this, as well as sending them a photo of your meter so we have confirmation of your up to date reading. You can send this to hello@ovoenergy.com

Hope this helps!