Solved

Replacement meter going backwards with solar panels, again - why?!

Last year Ovo organised for a replacement for my ancient electricity meter, as the power generated from my solar panels was making it go backwards. This has now happened with the apparently up-to-the-minute replacement. Lots of people are now generating with solar panels, so any clues as to the answer? And please don't say: a smart meter!
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 12 July 2017, 16:52

It's with npower, Lucy. But the meter concerned with that end of things is not the problem - it's the regular consumption meter that's affected.

Cheers, @lekkimac. I’ve sent you a private message to get your details so we can help you further with this. ^Lucy
View original

10 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @saartje,

I've moved your post over here as it seems to be a similar issue. Meters can sometimes start clocking backwards with solar panels, but we can get it replaced for you.

Give the team a call, as advised by @Eva_OVO above ☝🏼

Cheers!
We have solar panels fitted and are linked in with FIT. Our electricity readings are less and less. When does this get rectified?
Userlevel 5
We already had a topic on this, @scotrock, so I've moved your query over here.

We'll need to arrange to have the meter exchanged - however there would be a charge of £53 to do this.

To get this sorted, just give our Customer Care team a call on 0330 303 5063, they're available Monday-Friday 8am-6pm.

Eva
Oops, should have said my generation meter instead of export meter (which I don't have)
Derek
We have just switched to OVO for a new house we have built. PV solar panels have been installed and I notice the main electricity meter (not my export meter) is running backwards at times. I guess this is because we are generating more electricity than we are using. Should I be concerned?
Derek
My original meter also did this and I must say that in simple terms "what goes up must come down" so in my old fashioned thinking this was the best way to charge me for just what I used! If it went backwards I was feeding the grid and if it went forwards I was using the grid and the difference would have been my bill. (all too simple obviously)
And please don't say: a smart meter!

For what it's worth, my OVO smart meter doesn't have this problem - in fact it separately meters exported electricity!
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
It's with npower, Lucy. But the meter concerned with that end of things is not the problem - it's the regular consumption meter that's affected.

Cheers, @lekkimac. I’ve sent you a private message to get your details so we can help you further with this. ^Lucy
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Last year Ovo organised for a replacement for my ancient electricity meter, as the power generated from my solar panels was making it go backwards. This has now happened with the apparently up-to-the-minute replacement. Lots of people are now generating with solar panels, so any clues as to the answer? And please don't say: a smart meter!

Hey @lekkimac,

It sounds like your Solar Panels are causing you a bit of havoc! Who is your Feed in Tariff with?

Lucy