Solved

My gas meter reading always “seems too high”. It has said this every month for the past year, why?

• 22 July 2019
  • 1 reply

Every month when I submit my gas meter reading, OVO says it seems too high and asks me to recheck the reading before I submit it. I recheck it just to be careful but it’s always correct and so I submit it. This has been happening every month for the past year. Today we had the boiler serviced (which was arranged by the landlord) and so I mentioned it to the engineer. The engineer said I would need to get in touch with whoever installed the meter to come and check it. They said to get in touch with my supplier and see if they’ll come out to have a look at it. I explained that OVO are my supplier but they didn’t install the meter, I believe it was SGN. The meter and boiler were installed just before I moved in. Before that I understand that there was no gas supply to the property and the heating was electric. Just before I was due to move in the estate agent explained to me that the current set up didn’t meet energy requirements and so the landlord had get a gas meter and boiler installed to supply gas heating. He said it was good news as my bills should be much less!

So now i’ve been living here for a year but every time I submit my gas reading (which I do on time every month), I get the “seems to high” message pop up. What should I do? Can OVO send someone to check the meter? or do I need to contact SGN? My biggest concern is that there is a problem with the meter and for the past year I may have been paying too much! Help and advice would be much appreciated. Thank you
icon

Best answer by Amy_OVO 22 July 2019, 15:56

Welcome to the forum, @DTansey.

I've slightly tweaked your question just to make it easier for other users to find if they have the same question.

The "seems too high" you are seeing on your MyOVO when you submit a reading, is there as a bit of a buffer warning to ensure you don't enter an incorrect reading, you can't remove a reading once you've added it.

You mentioned you've only been in the property a year which would explain why you are still getting this message. The consumption in the property may have been less than what you're using, we use 3-5 years of historical readings to estimate usage, as time goes by the estimates will become more in line with your consumption and the message will disappear.

It's nothing to worry about!

Hope this helps 😊
View original

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge
Welcome to the forum, @DTansey.

I've slightly tweaked your question just to make it easier for other users to find if they have the same question.

The "seems too high" you are seeing on your MyOVO when you submit a reading, is there as a bit of a buffer warning to ensure you don't enter an incorrect reading, you can't remove a reading once you've added it.

You mentioned you've only been in the property a year which would explain why you are still getting this message. The consumption in the property may have been less than what you're using, we use 3-5 years of historical readings to estimate usage, as time goes by the estimates will become more in line with your consumption and the message will disappear.

It's nothing to worry about!

Hope this helps 😊