Solved

My electric meter screen is blank, how do I take a reading from it?

• 24 February 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi,
I have been asked to supply my electric and gas meter readings.
Gas I can read no problem but the electric meter despite me pressing various buttons on it remains blank.
I do have electricty though...
Both meters were originally installed by SSE. In fact, I had a smart meter (which I found was pointless as I was still asked to manually supply readings which was annoying).
Anyway, back to my original question.
How can I get to see my elec meter reading?
Thanks
icon

Best answer by Eva_OVO 27 February 2019, 16:22

It sounds like you've got a faulty meter, @Foo.

As you can't read the meter, we'll need to estimate the readings for now.

You've got 2 options to resolve this:
  1. You could have one of our smart meters installed, you can arrange an appointment here. However if you had to manually submit readings before, this suggests there was an issue with the signal in your area. You may have to do the same with us, but the engineer will test the signal before installing the meters.
  2. We could arrange a traditional meter exchange, the usual time frame for this is 17 working days. You'll need to call our Customer Care team to arrange this, they're available weekdays 8am-6pm on 0330 303 5063.
Once the meter has been exchanged, the engineer will send us the removal reading. We'll use this to accurately re-bill you for your energy.

Let us know what option you decide to go for! 😊
View original

3 replies

our gas meter has gone blank, who is responsible for fixing it.
have e-mailed ovo but have had no reply for 6 weeks .how long will estimates be used
Userlevel 5
It sounds like you've got a faulty meter, @Foo.

As you can't read the meter, we'll need to estimate the readings for now.

You've got 2 options to resolve this:
  1. You could have one of our smart meters installed, you can arrange an appointment here. However if you had to manually submit readings before, this suggests there was an issue with the signal in your area. You may have to do the same with us, but the engineer will test the signal before installing the meters.
  2. We could arrange a traditional meter exchange, the usual time frame for this is 17 working days. You'll need to call our Customer Care team to arrange this, they're available weekdays 8am-6pm on 0330 303 5063.
Once the meter has been exchanged, the engineer will send us the removal reading. We'll use this to accurately re-bill you for your energy.

Let us know what option you decide to go for! 😊
Userlevel 5
our gas meter has gone blank, who is responsible for fixing it.

I know the initial query is about the electric meter, @peterperfect, but the answer would still apply for you.

The only thing that's worth noting, is if you book a smart meter exchange - both your electric and gas meter will be exchanged.