Pinned Solved

Monthly reading reminder email - when and why?

Please can you send the monthly email closer to the date when the reading is required? At present I am getting a reminder on the 14th of the month, asking for a reading on the 20th. But email really doesn't work on that sort of timescale. When I get an email I like to respond immediately, or at least by the following day. If an email is left for a week, it disappears off the bottom of the inbox page and gets forgotten. So can I get my reminder on the 19th instead of the 14th please?
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 26 April 2017, 18:51

Please can you send the monthly email closer to the date when the reading is required? At present I am getting a reminder on the 14th of the month, asking for a reading on the 20th. But email really doesn't work on that sort of timescale. When I get an email I like to respond immediately, or at least by the following day. If an email is left for a week, it disappears off the bottom of the inbox page and gets forgotten. So can I get my reminder on the 19th instead of the 14th please?

Hi Chris,

Great question - I've changed the title and added some tags though. This is just to make it easier for other users to find.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm not able to change the date for when these email reminders get sent out. It's an automated process. The idea behind the 5 day delay is this: we want those readings before the bill date. We want them bad. So bad that we don't mind if they're a few days early. So for those customers not as on the ball as you, who open their emails a few days late, it's not too late.

Hope this makes sense,
Tim
View original

16 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge
Hey @Weljon43 - I've moved your post onto this topic where you should be able to find more info about meter reading reminders 📆
I am a me,mber of the Self service Rewards and as such I was informed that I had to give Meter Readings every three months. Can you please explain why it is that I send my Readings on the 23rd.February and last week I had a request for more Readings!!! Has there been a change in the system?
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @boots,

I've moved your post over here where you can find the information in Tim's "best answer" at the top.

Nancy
The emails I get about meter readings are misleading, they come on 25/26 of each month and are headed 'Your monthly meter readings are due' then further down it says submit readings on or just before 2nd then down again in bright gree ' submit them now'
When I have submitted then then I get an estimated meter reading.
Why send these e mails so early and confuse peopel ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Do ovo send e mail reminders when its time to submit a meter reading?

We do indeed @Cath P - check out the 'best answer' (at the top) for more info on when and why, or ask @ChrisL

Tim
Do ovo send e mail reminders when its time to submit a meter reading?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
There was nothing odd or out of line with the readings - you have just deleted them and then refused to admit it, although one of your staff confirmed in a phone call that he could see them and I have some emails that you sent to confirm you had them. Your care team are, at present, still denying having had them - although now that I have confirmed I still have some of your emails perhaps they will switch to the "must have been something odd" argument.

This would be resolved faster - and with less bad publicity for you here and elsewhere - if you simply admitted to mistakes.

@buzzard I want to assure you that this wouldn’t have been the case. If the readings are no longer there, this is likely to be due to a systems issue, but we can look into this to double check. I absolutely agree - if there has been any mistakes on our behalf, we have no qualms about holding our hands up and apologising.

Can you send over a PM with your name, DoB and OVO account number along with a list of dates of when you submitted your readings and what these were?

Thanks,
Lucy
There was nothing odd or out of line with the readings - you have just deleted them and then refused to admit it, although one of your staff confirmed in a phone call that he could see them and I have some emails that you sent to confirm you had them. Your care team are, at present, still denying having had them - although now that I have confirmed I still have some of your emails perhaps they will switch to the "must have been something odd" argument.

This would be resolved faster - and with less bad publicity for you here and elsewhere - if you simply admitted to mistakes.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
You want those readings bad - but you havent sent me any reminders at all and ignore my readins when sent. You've now removed them from my account.

This does sound odd, @buzzard.

Using meter readings is not something we control. They're actually checked by a third party, and if it looks odd or out of line, it will get rejected. As a result, someone needs to take a look at those readings. You can send me a PM, but I will need to pass security before being able to help. I can see you mentioned reaching out to our Care team, so hopefully this gets sorted soon.

Thanks,
TIm
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
You want those readings bad - but you havent sent me any reminders at all and ignore my readins when sent. You've now removed them from my account.

Hi @buzzard you may find this info helpful: https://www.ovoenergy.com/help/feedback

If you've tried and have not managed to resolve this the next step is to lodge a complaint, the above link will give you the guidance to do this, but am hoping one of the moderators can get this resolved for you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Hi Tim - re "So bad that we don't mind if they're a few days early." - I beg to differ! Like Chris, I used to send my readings as soon as I received the reminder email, being the good law-abiding citizen that I am 😉 only to then receive a statement based on estimated readings. When I phoned and enquired about this I was told I'd sent them too early for that statement and it's best to send them the day before my statement is due. Then when I receive an email informing me my statement is in, it says that readings submitted in the last couple of days may not have been included. I feel like I can't win.

Jasmin

Sorry about the confusion, Jasmin. Let me explain where we're coming from here:

If we don't get a meter reading on the day before your bill, we'll create an estimate, from the last reading we had from you. So submitting a reading the day you get that email reminder would be fine. That reading will be on your bill, as will the estimate, which will only be slightly higher. Likewise, if it's submitted on the day that the statement is due, it might be too late, due to how we work the billing run for that date.

To make it easier all round, why not get a smart meter fitted? No more readings to submit!

Tim
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi Tim - re "So bad that we don't mind if they're a few days early." - I beg to differ! Like Chris, I used to send my readings as soon as I received the reminder email, being the good law-abiding citizen that I am 😉 only to then receive a statement based on estimated readings. When I phoned and enquired about this I was told I'd sent them too early for that statement and it's best to send them the day before my statement is due. Then when I receive an email informing me my statement is in, it says that readings submitted in the last couple of days may not have been included. I feel like I can't win.

Jasmin

Oh dear Jasmin this doesn't sound right - hopefully Tim can shed some light on this for you

Jasmin
Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Hi Chris,

Great question - I've changed the title and added some tags though. This is just to make it easier for other users to find.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I'm not able to change the date for when these email reminders get sent out. It's an automated process. The idea behind the 5 day delay is this: we want those readings before the bill date. We want them bad. So bad that we don't mind if they're a few days early. So for those customers not as on the ball as you, who open their emails a few days late, it's not too late.

Hope this makes sense,
Tim
Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi Chris

To do this i would advise you contact OVO and request this change - alternatively try and flag the email when it arrives to keep it at the top of your inbox till you submit the reading.