Solved

Meter tails into Consumer Unit burnt - who do I contact?

• 14 February 2018
  • 2 replies

I am looking to replace my consumer init (fuse box) with a new 17th edition metal unit i have bought.

When i looked at my current unit i noticed that the incoming live cable (from my new smart meter) is slightly burnt/melted.

How do I arrange to get the tail(s) replaced?

I am considering installing a 100A DP isolator switch between the meter and the CU so that i can isolate the CU completwlu and in stall the new CU at a later date.

Who do i need to speak to?

Thanks
icon

Best answer by Tim_OVO 16 February 2018, 11:58

Hi @BigWatts

It sounds like the fault is with the consumer unit, so it's good that you want this replacing.

We will need to be the ones to replace the meter tails and the isolation switch, but we will need the consumer unit replaced on the same day. So I'd suggest you book an appointment to replace the consumer unit any weekday from the 14th March onwards. Then call us to book in an engineer visit on the same day: 0330 303 5063.

Hope this helps,
Tim
View original

2 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +2

Hi @BigWatts

It sounds like the fault is with the consumer unit, so it's good that you want this replacing.

We will need to be the ones to replace the meter tails and the isolation switch, but we will need the consumer unit replaced on the same day. So I'd suggest you book an appointment to replace the consumer unit any weekday from the 14th March onwards. Then call us to book in an engineer visit on the same day: 0330 303 5063.

Hope this helps,
Tim
Thanks Tim.
I dont currwntly have an issolation switch but will provide one. So the consumer unit can be safely disconnected from the supply regardless of timing or other maintenance tasks in the future. I'll call the number as you suggest and get a plan together.

Thanks again.