Solved

Low meter readings rejected - why?

• 18 April 2018
  • 9 replies

Have been away 7 weeks, low readings rejected by OVO. Help please.... Don.
icon

Best answer by Transparent 19 April 2018, 10:38

Hi @DonMudiford... your first Forum posting I notice! :)

How has the reading been "rejected"? Did you try to enter it online on your My OVO page, or via the OVO App?

What was the nature of the "rejection" message?

You can always put in a reading directly to OVO Customer Support (CS) by emailing them using hello@ovoenergy.com. That means you keep a time/date stamped copy of when you sent in the readings, and you'll receive an acknowledgement. CS can override the internal "sanity check" which is performed when you submit readings online.
View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @DonMudiford... your first Forum posting I notice! :)

How has the reading been "rejected"? Did you try to enter it online on your My OVO page, or via the OVO App?

What was the nature of the "rejection" message?

You can always put in a reading directly to OVO Customer Support (CS) by emailing them using hello@ovoenergy.com. That means you keep a time/date stamped copy of when you sent in the readings, and you'll receive an acknowledgement. CS can override the internal "sanity check" which is performed when you submit readings online.
Hi Transparent. Many thanks for prompt reply. Have been visiting family in Oz for7 weeks, hence meter readings are low. Tried to enter readings on My Ovo and rejected as too low.
Will try via hello@ovo.... Many thanks
Hi Transparent. Very quick reply from OVO who overrode rejection and readings now accepted.
Great, all sorted, many thanks. Don
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Thanks for letting us know, @DonMudiford,

Whilst in Oz did you get to learn anything of how much they pay for gas & electricity?

Do they have a separation between Energy Suppliers (like OVO) and Network Operators (Western Power etc) like we do here?
Hi Transparent, not sure if my reply went through? Probably at 87 another 'senior moment'? Anyway, my son is a CEO of an Oz public company and I have asked him. Don.
Thanks for letting us know, @DonMudiford,

Whilst in Oz did you get to learn anything of how much they pay for gas & electricity?

Do they have a separation between Energy Suppliers (like OVO) and Network Operators (Western Power etc) like we do here?
Hi Transparent. Sorry it's taken so long to get energy details from Oz. I have attached copies of gas and electricity bills which I hope contain most of the info required? Let me know if you need more specific details and I will try
Their house is Victorian, small and very expensive! Location, location.......!! Situated a few minutes from the park (Grand Prix circuit) on one side and the beach on the other. 15 minutes by tram to the centre of Melbourne. They are not allowed to change the front of the house but can extend back/up (they plan to) provided it cannot be seen from the pavement.The garden is small and they have five children, 5 and under including new twins!
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
This is interesting @DonMudiford; thanks for your diligence.

The tariff structure with Simply Energy is interesting. By being in credit and paying promptly you can pretty well cancel out the standing charges. That's quite an incentive.

By comparing just the Unit-Rates on the bills you attach we get the following:

Electricity costs 0.31Au$ per kWh
and that currently translates to £0.27
which is almost 1.9 times what I'm paying on my OVO contract.

Gas is metered in MegaJoules; 1MJ = 0.277kWh
1Mj costs approx 0.027Au$ (although there are actually two rates, depending on usage)
and that translates to £0.015

Putting it the other way around it means that 1kWh of gas costs them around 5.4p
and that is about 1.75 times what I pay OVO per kWh.

Suddenly our energy costs seem so much more acceptable! :)

Are you still reading this thread, @Darran_OVO?

Of course, Melbourne doesn't suffer the cold winters we experience here at 53deg North of the Equator.

It seems to me that Australians would have much more incentive to install renewable energy in their homes. They must get appreciably more direct sunlight than we do. And that in turn means that the payback period is substantially less.

I wonder what incentives/constraints they have for grid-connection.

I have relatives on the other side of Oz (Perth). Although they're not directly responsible for their energy bills yet, I'll ask if they give me equivalent figures for their region from their landlord's bills.

So... you have five grand-children. I'll guess that the laundry costs for that brood are significant. That small garden is going to have double as drying-space and playground.

Twins simply produce twice the amount of washing, and you now need two of everything in their size. I know... coz I too am a twin!
Hi Transparent, many thanks for your prompt reply and excellent analysis of the data. We found everything in Oz very expensive using £ converted to $Aus. I believe salaries in Oz are higher?

Their are lots of well designed playgrounds locally for the 5 children, but I found them very synthetic. Our son in Oz is also a twin as well as having twins of his own!!