Solved

Is my standard gas meter clocking too slowly?

• 16 December 2019
  • 4 replies

Still hanging on to the standard meters for gas and electricity until I feel that the new Smart generation are foolproof BUT today when sending my gas meter reading, I realised that it is a very low one despite similar time spent at home and thermosat set at 18/19C as last year.

Central Heating, cooker hob and combi shower all using gas.

Lat year same period 280 units used. Last month 522 units used. This month apparently only 30 units used and that ain’t likely!

Do I phone OVO for advice or wait and monitor the meter. 

Dual fuel with OVO for many years and electricity meter is reading normally.

BTW I still do not want to move to a Smart meter !

icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 16 December 2019, 16:18

Hi @yogib,

It does sound like the meter might be clocking slowly.

There’s a test you can perform to check this called a Burns Test, though it’s normally used to check if a meter is clocking too quickly but the same principle would apply. Here’s how to do it:

• Turn all your gas appliances off.
  • Check what the meter reading is.
  • Turn one gas appliance on, for example pop a pan of water on one ring on the hob. 
  • Allow it to run for a few minutes, and then see if the gas meter reading has moved.
  • If it hasn’t moved in a few minutes, it might be worth leaving the hob on and seeing how long it takes for the meter to move up 1 unit.
  • Also note whether your meter is metric or imperial (measuring in cubic meters or cubic feet). If the meter is imperial, it may take longer to move, or the sub-units may be the only digits that move (in red).

Once you’ve done this, I’d advise getting in touch with the customer service team on 0330 303 5063 to provide your results and we can potentially book in a meter accuracy test with an engineer if needed.

Cheers,

Nancy

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

Hi @yogib,

It does sound like the meter might be clocking slowly.

There’s a test you can perform to check this called a Burns Test, though it’s normally used to check if a meter is clocking too quickly but the same principle would apply. Here’s how to do it:

• Turn all your gas appliances off.
  • Check what the meter reading is.
  • Turn one gas appliance on, for example pop a pan of water on one ring on the hob. 
  • Allow it to run for a few minutes, and then see if the gas meter reading has moved.
  • If it hasn’t moved in a few minutes, it might be worth leaving the hob on and seeing how long it takes for the meter to move up 1 unit.
  • Also note whether your meter is metric or imperial (measuring in cubic meters or cubic feet). If the meter is imperial, it may take longer to move, or the sub-units may be the only digits that move (in red).

Once you’ve done this, I’d advise getting in touch with the customer service team on 0330 303 5063 to provide your results and we can potentially book in a meter accuracy test with an engineer if needed.

Cheers,

Nancy

Hi Nancy_OVO,

Many thanks for replying with a glaringly simple test for me to run! Doh! Why didn’t I think of that? Must be the lack of daylight hours!

I’ll wait until tomorrow now, when the central heating is timed ‘Off’...and I can also see the meter in the garage!

Will either get back to this thread or ring the number as advised.

Ta very much.

Me!

Morning Nancy_OVO!

We can all relax because my error was of the schoolboy nature! 

I checked the meter this morning and it had moved on approximately 12 cubic meters since yesterday which is a much more realistic figure. Then I checked back through previous years and a pattern quickly appeared which pointed the finger at me and human(?!) error.

Gas used for the same period of Oct -Nov 2016-2019 reads thus : 173  220  241  522 !!

I must have transposed a couple of the digits when I sent my November readings in hence the apparently low reading for Nov-Dec. 

My apologies for creating mayhem and many thanks for bearing with me. The meter is running as it should and there is no need for an engineer visit. Phew!

Thank you again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +2

Good to hear @yogib - this topic will remain for anyone else with the same query, so it’s far from a waste of our time! :)

Always to have a meter that isn’t faulty!