Solved

I've had a new gas meter fitted and my readings are now 5 digits not 4 - how do I enter these online?

• 1 December 2018
  • 7 replies

Hi, I had my gas meter replaced by SMS on the 7.11.18 as the previous one was very old. The previous meter had 4 numbers and the new one has 5. Now I am trying to submit my meter readings, however, the new meter is not reflected in my account and it will only let me enter 4 numbers. I was told by the engineer that OVO would be informed of the replaced meter and the new start reading of my new meter. How can I resolve this? Please note this is a traditional meter and I have a 'Better Energy Fixed (all online)' account.
Thanks,
Sophie
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 3 December 2018, 16:46

Hi @sophiep - bit of a technical one so I'll take this!

There are two different volumes that gas usage can be measured in. Either hundreds of cubic feet (HCF), or cubic meters (M3).

Generally speaking, older gas meters measure in HCF and newer meters (and smart meters) measure in M3. HCF (or, Imperial) readings only have four digits, as its a larger volume overall so the numbers used at domestic supply would stay fairly low. M3 (or metric) readings have five digits as its a smaller volume and households can get through more.

If your online account is still asking for a four digit reading, the likelyhood is that we haven't received the new meter details from the engineers to add to your account. It can take 6 to 8 weeks to do this, after which you online account should be asking for five digits.

You won't be billed while we're waiting for the meter details to come through. Once we've got them, we'll bill your old meter up to he last reading the engineer took, and then add the new meter (probably starting from 0).

Let me know if you have any more questions!
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +2
My gas meter isn't providing OVO with a reading so I'm having to do it manually. The problem is, I've got 5 digits in my gas reading and only 4 boxes on my OVO meter giving page.

Good question @Anders - it's similar to the thread above so have a read of this.

MyOVO will offer the correct number of digits according to how many it thinks your meter has. This tells me you've had a meter exchange that we don't know about.

I would drop us an email to get this double checked, and make sure to include a set of readings and a close up picture of your meter: hello@ovoenergy.com.
My gas meter isn't providing OVO with a reading so I'm having to do it manually. The problem is, I've got 5 digits in my gas reading and only 4 boxes on my OVO meter giving page. What do I do? OVO have been estimating my gas for some time now because I haven't had time to sort this out. The meter readings they're guessing look nothing like the meter reading I get from my gas smart meter. What's gone wrong?
Thank you Nancy.
The meter was installed in June 2018. So it’s a little strange that the readings haven’t been updated.
I am concerned I need to do something? Electricity is functioning on the smart
meter and OVO are receiving the readings. Gas isn’t though.
Both were installed at the same time.
Thanks

I am in the same boat, I checked my usage and it does appear to be working, just appears to be a glitch on their website...
Thank you Nancy.
The meter was installed in June 2018. So it’s a little strange that the readings haven’t been updated.
I am concerned I need to do something? Electricity is functioning on the smart
meter and OVO are receiving the readings. Gas isn’t though.
Both were installed at the same time.
Thanks
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @msturgeon,

I've moved your post over here where you should be able to find the information you need in my response above.

Cheers
I have had a smart meter fitted. I push the '9' on the meter but the number displayed is not the same format as the number required on the OVO My Energy Meter Reading webpage. the webpage requires the old style four digit 'xxxx' number but the Smart Meter gives a five digit number starting '00xxx'. Please help as I am unable to submit readings and therefore not meeting the requirements to get the discount on my account.

Many thanks.
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Hi @sophiep - bit of a technical one so I'll take this!

There are two different volumes that gas usage can be measured in. Either hundreds of cubic feet (HCF), or cubic meters (M3).

Generally speaking, older gas meters measure in HCF and newer meters (and smart meters) measure in M3. HCF (or, Imperial) readings only have four digits, as its a larger volume overall so the numbers used at domestic supply would stay fairly low. M3 (or metric) readings have five digits as its a smaller volume and households can get through more.

If your online account is still asking for a four digit reading, the likelyhood is that we haven't received the new meter details from the engineers to add to your account. It can take 6 to 8 weeks to do this, after which you online account should be asking for five digits.

You won't be billed while we're waiting for the meter details to come through. Once we've got them, we'll bill your old meter up to he last reading the engineer took, and then add the new meter (probably starting from 0).

Let me know if you have any more questions!