Solved

I've had a meter reading request but I have smart meters?

I have just had an email asking for meter readings but I've just had a smart meter installed, do I still need to give the meter reading or will it automatically send one in?
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 12 April 2018, 13:39

**UPDATED on 30/07/2019**

It sounds like your smart meter has recently been installed so it will take 4-6 weeks to get your new meter details uploaded onto our system and for us to start taking readings. 🙂

If your meter doesn't start sending us readings, then there might be a signal issue. We can always check this at a later date if you need us to.

Lucy
View original

18 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
**UPDATED on 30/07/2019**

It sounds like your smart meter has recently been installed so it will take 4-6 weeks to get your new meter details uploaded onto our system and for us to start taking readings. 🙂

If your meter doesn't start sending us readings, then there might be a signal issue. We can always check this at a later date if you need us to.

Lucy
Thanks, that makes sense
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Emily p,

I assume you successfully read your Smart Meter and sent in the readings manually?

Just to clarify why it takes a few weeks for a Smart Meter to be fully functional:

1. The old meter reading has to be sent to ECOES, the National Database, by the Meter Installer. It is ECOES who send a Notification to OVO.

If the reading doesn't match what OVO's system would regard as reasonable for the date of the installation, they must be given time to lodge an Objection. In some cases an inspector is required to recover the old meter and verify the Meter Number (MPRN) and the reading.

2. OVO don't directly communicate with your Smart Meter. All Energy Suppliers route their meter communications through the Data Communication Company (DCC) and a network of phone-masts run by BT. The meter commands and the data for the readings are heavily encrypted to avoid cyber-hacking by a third party. For security, only DCC handle this encrypted data.

Once a new Smart Meter is installed, DCC will upload the latest version of the software and go through a system of checking the communications. Only when they are satisfied that the meter is fully operational do they then open the channels for OVO to receive meter readings.

There's a lot more to installing a Smart Meter than the moment when you actually see the Meter Engineer on-site!
Yes, I was able to send in the readings fine, I was worried because the new meter obviously starts at zero again so thought they might be confused how my reading would be lower than the last reading but what you have said makes a lot of sense.
Hi,
Suddenly I've been asked to start giving meter readings when logging in to myOvo/Ovo PayM.

I can see the day-by-day breakdown fine, and for gas I can see the half hourly submissions. The HAN is fine (the IHD is showing the correct meter readings) also, the WAN light is flashing exactly as you expect (plus, those half hourly, and daily usage graphs are correct!)

Why the change? Why is this suddenly not working as I'd expect?

Thanks,

Alan.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @alansmith - I've moved your post over here. Hopefully the information in this thread will help. If not - let us know and we can look into it further.

Nancy
I am still receiving meter reading requests on MyOvo more than 4 months after my gas smart meter was fitted and yet the site is clearly receiving my readings as I can see the day to day breakdown of energy usage. Electric smart meter readings are working fine. I can’t provide manual readings as it still registers the old meter number. Why is it still incorrect? This is much longer than the 4-6 weeks repeatedly quoted.
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
Hi @Mariak; could you please clarify your comment "it still registers the old meter number"?

Where are you reading this (old) meter number?

If the gas meter number hasn't been updated on the National Database, then that's likely to be the very reason you're being asked to supply manual readings. This won't just correct itself over time. The Database needs to be supplied with the right MPRN.
Under Meter readings on MyOvo, the old gas meter number is still listed - so yes, the gas meter number clearly hasn’t been updated yet via the national database. This isn’t something I can do myself, it seems to have been done for electricity and not gas, when both meters were replaced at the same time in August, so how do I solve?
Userlevel 7
Badge +3
It needs to be done by OVO communicating with ECOES, the National Database.

Email Customer Services on hello@ovoenergy.com and ask them.

Try to give them as much info as possible so they stand a fighting chance of clearing up any anomalies...
  • old gas meter number
  • new smart gas meter number
  • your address & postcode
  • date the smart meter was installed
  • last reading on old gas meter (if you happen to have it!)
And you won't lose your Bonus/Incentive for this contact because it's not something you could've done yourself.
I have just had a smart meter fitted. I'm guessing the meters have changed recently because the instructions don't appear to resemble the meter. I'm being asked to submit a meter reading but don't know how to get this information from the meter
Just been asked to submit a gas meter reading but the gas meter serial number is different to that which was removed yesterday during the smart meter upgrade. I am now very concerned.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @westweb - I've moved your post over here where you should be able to get the info you need ☝🏼

Same @Pmkgov - we won't have updated your MyOVO account with your new smart meter details yet, so MyOVO will look wrong. This will be updated within 6 weeks of the smart meter fitting date!
I've just received my second "📅 Readings please 📅" email from OVO but had smart meters installed this week. Should I disregard the request to supply readings? The IHD is fully working (I think) but the website doesn't show any readings coming through from the new meters.

Thanks
It appears the Gas is now sending readings through but not Electricity. Bizarre if anything I would have thought it the other way more likely as I believe the Gas meter talks to the Electricity meter which communicates with the outside world.
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
It appears the Gas is now sending readings through but not Electricity. Bizarre if anything I would have thought it the other way more likely as I believe the Gas meter talks to the Electricity meter which communicates with the outside world.

This can happen, @TheFSG but it can be fixed by an aerial. Email us to discuss this: hello@ovoenergy.com.
Userlevel 2
You have requested meter readings,I had a smart meter fitted over a week ago,is it still necessary for me to read themeters.D Higgs.
Userlevel 2
Please accept my apologies 're this question I can one see readings have been spelt to ovo via my meter.Thank you.D Higgs.