Solved

How do I convert meter readings to KWh?

• 25 July 2019
  • 3 replies

I give meter readings every month and the web site displays everything in KwH which I cannot relate to my meter readings.
Please can you put something on the website
a) that I can find every month, and
b) That gives me a simple way of converting between meter readings and KwH which is the units I am charged for.

At the moment I have no idea whether a saving of a single Unit on the meter for gas and electricity is woth a penny, a pound or a thousand pounds.

I understand the principle of how it is arrived at but I just want the conversion figures so please don't just explain the figures, give me that ability to do my own calculations and if the conversion factors change then keep tables of them available on the web site.
Thank you
Bob
icon

Best answer by Phil_H 25 July 2019, 20:31

Hello

I assume its the gas readings that are the issue as electric meters display in kWh already.

If you look at page 6 of your monthly statement under the heading Explaining your gas statement, it shows how to convert meter units into kWh and there is also an example. One of the factors used in the calculation, calorific value (CV) can vary but for a simple conversion from units to kWh the value shown by OVO on the statement is OK.

The values of CV change all the time, if you want more detail on calorific value see here.

I have a spreadsheet that converts meter readings to kWh and I use the CV quoted in my monthly statement to double check the figures OVO have calculated.

And more info from this forum here
View original

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +1
Hello

I assume its the gas readings that are the issue as electric meters display in kWh already.

If you look at page 6 of your monthly statement under the heading Explaining your gas statement, it shows how to convert meter units into kWh and there is also an example. One of the factors used in the calculation, calorific value (CV) can vary but for a simple conversion from units to kWh the value shown by OVO on the statement is OK.

The values of CV change all the time, if you want more detail on calorific value see here.

I have a spreadsheet that converts meter readings to kWh and I use the CV quoted in my monthly statement to double check the figures OVO have calculated.

And more info from this forum here
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
Bob, if you want the actual calculation, this is it.

Cubic Metres (i.e. units) x 1.02264 x Calorific value x 39.3 / 3.6 =kWh

The 1.02264 is a volume correction, don't worry about this, it should always be the same.
The calorific value you can get from your monthly statement as Phil suggested
Userlevel 5
Badge
Welcome to the forum @Bobwhite3, I tweaked your question and added some tags, just to make it easier for other users with the same question to find. Great work, @Phil_H and @PeterR1947, I couldn't have answered better! 😊