Solved

Electricity readings seem too high

• 23 August 2017
  • 8 replies

I have lived at my new address for three months and submitted readings to OVO twice. On both occasions OVO warn me that my electricity reading is too high and advise me to double check and resubmit. I did give the correct number first time. So my question is, how can I check that my electricity consumption is correct for our new house? How do I make sure I am not paying for the neighbour's electricity (semi-detached and both new build). How do I check that nothing in the house is soaking up the electricity without me being aware?
icon

Best answer by Lucy_OVO 29 August 2017, 14:00

Good question @Gunders.

Shortly after customers transfer to OVO, we receive their Estimated Annual Consumption (EAC) for the electricity and Annual Quantity (AQ) for the gas. This information is based on all the readings that are on record for the property over the past two years, giving an indication of the property's annual usage. We then use this information, alongside seasonal consumption profiles, to estimate usage between periods.

It's not necessarily possible to reverse them but if you provide us with an up to date reading, this will correct any inaccurate estimates that will have been used. To avoid having any estimates used, it will be worth providing a meter reading a day before your statement is created.

Lucy
View original

8 replies

My 'night rate' meter reading for April was twice the size of normal months - for no apparent reason. How can I establish why?
Userlevel 5
That's strange, @100300068. Have a look at this page, there's some information on a few tests you can preform on the meter to ensure it's working as it should.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I have lived at my new address for three months and submitted readings to OVO twice. On both occasions OVO warn me that my electricity reading is too high and advise me to double check and resubmit. I did give the correct number first time. So my question is, how can I check that my electricity consumption is correct for our new house? How do I make sure I am not paying for the neighbour's electricity (semi-detached and both new build). How do I check that nothing in the house is soaking up the electricity without me being aware?

Hey Gunders,

It sounds like it might be comparing the readings against any estimates that are being used, and by the sound of it, these estimates might be too low. Can you check this to see if it looks like this is what’s happening?

Lucy
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Good question @Gunders.

Shortly after customers transfer to OVO, we receive their Estimated Annual Consumption (EAC) for the electricity and Annual Quantity (AQ) for the gas. This information is based on all the readings that are on record for the property over the past two years, giving an indication of the property's annual usage. We then use this information, alongside seasonal consumption profiles, to estimate usage between periods.

It's not necessarily possible to reverse them but if you provide us with an up to date reading, this will correct any inaccurate estimates that will have been used. To avoid having any estimates used, it will be worth providing a meter reading a day before your statement is created.

Lucy
Userlevel 7
Badge +2
Interesting but for a new build there hasn't been two years of history and anything before May this year would have been minimal based on when services came on line and even then, it would only reflect the builders needs. Since I was with OVO before I moved, it would be more accurate to use the usage at my previous house! OVO have all those on record.
Simon

That does make sense, @Gunders but it's just not how the system works. The good news is in two parts:

1) Every meter reading we have from you shortly before a bill means we won't have to estimate.

2) This EAC and AQ do adjust overtime with every meter reading we get from you.

As for that warning on My OVO, it's actually not unusual. We think it's best for out customers to double check the reading is correct, instead of us using an incorrect reading in your billing.

Hope this helps,
Tim
It looks like OVO estimates a huge amount of gas usage and hardly any electricity. However in reality, my usage (as recorded by the meter) is the opposite. How does OVO calculate the estimates and is it possible to revise them?
Interesting but for a new build there hasn't been two years of history and anything before May this year would have been minimal based on when services came on line and even then, it would only reflect the builders needs. Since I was with OVO before I moved, it would be more accurate to use the usage at my previous house! OVO have all those on record.
Simon
Since I had smart meter installed last year my bills have gone up 15 per cent I will be leaving ovo shortly dont trust them any more