Solved

Do OVO send engineers out to take manual readings?

• 1 May 2019
  • 7 replies

A man knocked this morning claiming to be from OVO and wanting to read my smart electric meter. I told him they are not manually read. He said they have to be manually read at least once a year. I said that was not so. Who was he? Who sent him?
icon

Best answer by Nancy_OVO 1 May 2019, 18:58

Hi @GZimmermann - we do send engineers out to take routine readings, whether you have a smart meter or a traditional meter. They'd be from Morrisons Data Services if we've sent them, and they should carry identification if you did want to ask for proof.

Hope this helps!
View original

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
@GZimmermann We don't know what the future holds for meter readers when/if all properties have smart meters, which is something the government is hoping will happen by 2020. For now, we'll continue to take meter readings as always, by law once every 2 years, but we typically do it once a year.

As for the general check up, this is just basic checks to make sure the meter is functioning and providing a meter reading. If there is a problem with the meter, they'd report back with the details, and we'd take action from there.

Thanks,
Ed
Further more - you have not responded to my query that a further visitation would be required to check the gas meter. Why not do both "general check-ups" at the same time and save money and time? Also - no mention by the Govt that smart meters will still require annual visits for "check ups" or is this just an OVO thing?
Sorry to labour the point but what exactly is a "general check-up"? If you are receiving data from my meters, then they are functioning correctly. If you are receiving no data, then there is a malfunction and an investigation is required.
I am happy to provide a reading myself if that helps to check whether the data you are receiving is accurate.
Userlevel 5
They're not there to just take a reading, @GZimmermann, they'll do a general check up of the meter too!
Thanks for your response. It seems to me that meter readers defeat the whole purpose of Smart Meters. Nothing whatsoever was mentioned after their installation that they would still require to be read by house visitations. If the meters were not functioning correctly surely you would not be receiving any data! The man who knocked wanted to see the electric meter - not both. So that means yet another visit on another occasion for the gas meter.
Userlevel 6
Badge
Hi @GZimmermann - we do send engineers out to take routine readings, whether you have a smart meter or a traditional meter. They'd be from Morrisons Data Services if we've sent them, and they should carry identification if you did want to ask for proof.

Hope this helps!
Userlevel 6
Badge +1
@GZimmermann

That sounds like a load of 💩 I have never had anyone knock at my door ever since I had my smart meter installed. I think you did the right thing.